Nexus 6P Hotspot Disabled for ATT Unlimited Data Plan Users only?

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just received my Nexus 6P, I'm upgrading from a Nexus 5 on ATT, and I'm unable to launch the hotspot. I was just on my Nexus 5 last night, fully upgraded to 6.0 and all, and was able to launch the hotspot just like normal for the past 2 years. When attempting to launch the Portable WiFi hotspot it gives me an error stating "To enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611." Now I'm 'grandfathered' into unlimited data so giving this up is not an option, but I was curious to see if anyone has found a solution or is having the same problem with ATT. A coworker just got a Nexus 6P as well and is on T-Mobile, does not pay for a hotspot, but is able to use his on his 6P.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

I just received my Nexus 6P, I'm upgrading from a Nexus 5 on ATT, and I'm unable to launch the hotspot. I was just on my Nexus 5 last night, fully upgraded to 6.0 and all, and was able to launch the hotspot just like normal for the past 2 years. When attempting to launch the Portable WiFi hotspot it gives me an error stating "To enable portable Wi-Fi hotspot on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611." Now I'm 'grandfathered' into unlimited data so giving this up is not an option, but I was curious to see if anyone has found a solution or is having the same problem with ATT. A coworker just got a Nexus 6P as well and is on T-Mobile, does not pay for a hotspot, but is able to use his on his 6P.

I'm also on the grandfathered ATT unlimited plan, They block the hotspot and want to switch you to one of the tiered plans.

I'm pretty much done with ATT going to test Google Fi when my 6p comes or switch to T-Mobile

Posted via the Android Central App

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
re:

Did you call them? Did you get it straightened out?

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
re:

Wifi Hotspot is included in my plan and it works fine on my unlocked Developer Edition HTC One M8 and iPhone 6 but also noticed it's blocked on my 6P. Not happy with this. Im on ATT also.

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
re:

I'm also on the grandfathered ATT unlimited plan, They block the hotspot and want to switch you to one of the tiered plans.

I'm pretty much done with ATT going to test Google Fi when my 6p comes or switch to T-Mobile

Hotspot is included in my plan and it's blocked on my 6P. I'm on a tiered plan.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
re:

Using att on a month-to-month. No issues with Hotspot. Not surprised they might attempt to block it on an unlimited plan, but unless it was specifically stated in your contract that you couldn't use a Hotspot, I would ask them to fix it or threaten to leave.

nmarrion

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I did not know I had this same problem until I read this post! Tethering was working on my previous phone, Moto G 2015. I have a Mobile Share Value Plan which includes tethering.

It was resolved by calling AT&T and them updating my IMEI number on the account.

Last edited:

Stein357

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
re:

As has been stated, tethering is blocking on the unlimited plan, is the IMEI updated?

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been trying to work with AT&T to figure this out over the past couple days. Unfortunately this has not been resolved. I have contacted AT&T over the phone, went into the store, and chatted online with someone. According to the support representatives I spoke with, they informed me my IMEI has been updated in their systems. While in the store I had a fresh SIM card inserted, restarted my phone and am able to get full LTE service to the device. Still when I click to make a hotspot it informs me to contact AT&T. This might just be something ill either lose, or it will just appear sooner or later, but for now no hotspot. :(

Thank you to all for your suggestions, I will continue to try each and all, as well as keep this as up-to-date as possible.

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Anthony2558: What phone were you on before? Did you have to exchange your sim from micro to nano? Did you restore your nexus from a different android phone? (PS was not trying to troll at all, was just hoping to get responses and figured I'd reach more people with keywords)

fanaticalism: I understand AT&T doesn't allow you to tether with unlimited plans. However on my nexus 5, the night before, I was able to tether without any issues and my unlimited plan hasn't changed in the past several years.

rk235: how did you set your nexus 6p up?

This could be because when I set up my phone I tried to pull down a lot of information from my nexus 5, just a shot in the dark, i will restore to factory and set up from scratch to see if i get different results and keep you posted. Expect a response by Friday afternoonish.

Last edited:

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
re:

Cricket is another options if those don't work out service wise and you get the same AT&T network for much less.

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site
re:

just for the record.

originally had micro-sim in lg g3, exchanged that for nano-sim that was in nexus 6, moved that nano-sim to 6p and hotspot works fine.

actually never had any issues.

hopefully AT&T can get yours straightened out.

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

renegad3: thank you for the very helpful information. I might try and put the sim card in my iPhone 6s+ to "fake it out" then put it back in the nexus 6p to see if that may work. I don't know if that will make a difference, but i guess i wont till i try.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re:

At $10 a GB on Project Fi, have fun with that! Could be less than att depending on how much you tether. Unlimited on Att is now 22GB on LTE plan before being throttled. I had fi on my Nexus 6 but the coverage was not where near att where I live in DFW. I have not tried it on my 6P cause I am too lazy to switch my SIM out of my iphone :(