Nexus Imprint

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So what does everyone think of the fingerprint scanner? I really like being able to unlock the phone that way.

You can debate the rear location, but I prefer that to the front. Seems pretty reliable, too. No issue with false negatives. Set it up w/both my right and left index fingers.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It's the first time I've ever used a phone with a fingerprint scanner and it's fast and awesome. It makes my Motorola Keylink obsolete. I also have it set up with both my index fingers.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The only problem with the sensor on the back is it limits the fingers you can use to pretty much the index fingers only.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It works very well, doesn't matter the orientation of the finger. I have to retrain myself because at times I still find myself realizing I just need to use the fingerprint scanner when I'm halfway done inputting my pin.

syeo86

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Its fast, and relatively error free. I love the placement, but I also came from an LG G2.

I intentionally give it weird finger positions hoping that it learns more. I assume it the sensor software is much like photosphere. During the initial setup, it "images" your fingerprint, then stitches it together. Every time you use it, it compares it to the key image, and look for unique identifiers. I bet if you keep pushing the sensor by using the outside edges of the finger, it the key image will start to expand. IE it sees more of your fingers, and if say 50% of it matches to the key image, it stores the later 50% for later comparison.

I also wish it could be used for the camera, ie snap function.

ctrlhomer

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Zero complaints, easier than a pin. With a case only really one placement of your finger can happen. Which makes it easier to find and hit it.

ajkam

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious if one was using Android Device Manager or another device administrator such as Mobile Iron, and you exceed a certain number of unlock attempts on the fingerprint sensor, could it trigger a device wipe?

Maybe ADM is unrelated to too many failed unlock attempts resulting in a data wipe, but the question still remains. Could too many accidental touches result in a data wipe?

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious if one was using Android Device Manager or another device administrator such as Mobile Iron, and you exceed a certain number of unlock attempts on the fingerprint sensor, could it trigger a device wipe?

Maybe ADM is unrelated to too many failed unlock attempts resulting in a data wipe, but the question still remains. Could too many accidental touches result in a data wipe?

I'm guessing it would make you enter a pin if the scanner fails too many times.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Impressive! I have a iPhone 6S+ and the touch ID is very fast so cannot wait to get my 6P which I ordered yesterday. Now if android will just update all the financial/brokerage apps etc to use the touch scanner like iPhone has that will be super!

Mint and bank of america is updated for finger print support. I was hoping to see US bank and wellsfargo soon

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I was one of those that didn't think it was a big deal. Now that I have it and don't have to enter my long last pass password all the time I'm in love. Must have feature for me now.

vomhorizon

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the iPhone 6 and 6p. Based on my usage so far (1.5 days on the 6p and a little over a year for the iphone 6) the iPhone is definitely more forgiving when it comes to the finger placement but the 6p is quite a bit faster. Also, you don't have to press the button to begin the finger print unlock like you do on the iphone so it is definitely snappier.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I love it! I have both index fingers programmed do I can unlock with either hand! So far no issues, seems to get my finger just right every time.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Mint and bank of america is updated for finger print support. I was hoping to see US bank and wellsfargo soon

Yes BoA is! Waiting on Chase, Schwab, Paypal, Amex. I am sure it will be soon now that the Nexus has imprint. I also have a S6 and have liked having the fingerprint scanner on android as well as iOS.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the iPhone 6 and 6p. Based on my usage so far (1.5 days on the 6p and a little over a year for the iphone 6) the iPhone is definitely more forgiving when it comes to the finger placement but the 6p is quite a bit faster. Also, you don't have to press the button to begin the finger print unlock like you do on the iphone so it is definitely snappier.

I had a 6+ before I got my 6S+ and the + is even faster than the iPhone 6 so the 6P must be lighting fast!

Last edited:

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely love the fingerprint scanner on the 6P! I can't stop unlocking my phone with my index finger. It's crazy how intuitive the rear fingerprint scanner is. It's definitely a more natural placement when you're on the go.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Another benefit is not having to worry about loser shoulder surfers trying to snake my PIN or unlock pattern.

I ran my Nexus 6 with the Motorola Keylink, which kept my phone unlocked with Bluetooth if I was within 20-30 ft. Problem is, if I set my Nexus 6 down on my desk but was nearby, my coworkers could still unlock it and mess around.

With Imprint on the 6P, no need for Keylink and no worries about patterns or PINs!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar