I just got a Nexus 6P, and I'm trying to change the notification sound on Google Hangouts.

Let me start off by saying this option DOES work, but ONLY for stock notification sounds. If I try to set it to a sound I've imported from my PC, it just plays the default Hangouts sound instead.

This is completely aggravating, as every other app I have that has sound notification options work just fine. I do not get why Hangouts won't let me change the sound to a custom sound.

I've re-installed the app, restarted my phone, forced stopped the app, cleared cache, etc.

I am convinced that this is a bug that probably solely plagues the Nexus 6P, as nobody else seems to be having this particular problem, but I could be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
    10-30-2015 11:03 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=601501

See if that helps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    kumokgb and AnnDroid like this.
    10-30-2015 11:09 PM
    FINALLY! I figured it out.

It was a permissions issue. I needed to go into the app permissions and allow it access storage. I really need to be more wary of that in this variation of Android.
    jrvtecaccord and Shinkou79 like this.
    10-30-2015 11:14 PM
    Yep. Thanks
    10-30-2015 11:15 PM
    Awesome!

Posted via the Android Central App
    raydb likes this.
    10-30-2015 11:30 PM
    Notification sounds not working correctly

See if that helps

It was a permissions issue. I needed to go into the app permissions and allow it access storage. I really need to be more wary of that in this variation of Android.
    Thank you! That was driving me nuts. Seems like this is a bug. I know that the permissions are only asked for when they are needed, but it seems like Hangouts should recognize that the selected notification is in storage and ask when it is set.
    raydb likes this.
    11-07-2015 08:00 PM
    Was not just a problem on the 6P. I just received my 5X and it took a lot of searching to find this solution! They need to make the app request this permission if changing a ringtone in the app otherwise they are going to have a ton of angry not so tech savvy customers of 2 great new phones.
    11-15-2015 12:00 AM
    Driving me crazy too....Mahalo for figuring it out!
    11-20-2015 08:42 PM
    Driving me crazy too....Mahalo for figuring it out!
    Hi guys, I'm having this problem on my new 5X, but it looks like the Hangouts app already has the Storage permission option set to true... And I'm still having this problem...

Any more tips?
    07-02-2016 10:34 AM
    Same problem here. App storage permissions are giving but it wont change the sound, even though it says the tone has changed in settings.
    07-09-2016 12:59 AM
    Hi guys, I'm having this problem on my new 5X, but it looks like the Hangouts app already has the Storage permission option set to true... And I'm still having this problem...

Any more tips?
    Are you just changing the hangouts sound, or both the hangouts and Project Fi sms sounds (the setting a few lines down)? If only the first, change the project Fi settings too. If both, no clue.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Takari
    07-09-2016 07:24 AM
    How do you get to the Project Fi SMS sounds? I only see the regular SMS sounds.
    Hangouts, Settings, SMS, Sound.
    I don't see any listing for Project Fi sounds
    07-26-2016 02:17 PM
    How do you get to the Project Fi SMS sounds? I only see the regular SMS sounds.
    Hangouts, Settings, SMS, Sound.
    I don't see any listing for Project Fi sounds
    If I had to hazard a guess it would be that he was referring to the SMS application when he mentioned the Project Fi SMS application; i.e. the standard Messenger app.
    07-26-2016 11:39 PM

You're a genius and I thank you with the few remaining nerves that I have left after trying to figure this out!
    08-11-2017 08:35 PM