Nexus 6P - Sound Quality Issues?

esuser1

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have an HTC One M8 and am interested in purchasing a Nexus 6P. I have looked at reviews and read positive things about the quality of audio from both the speaker and headset jack. My question is, when it is compared to a device like the HTC One M8, how does the audio quality stack up? I often plug the HTC into my car through the AUX port and and I am pleased with the sound quality. I just would like a better idea of what to expect if i were to move to the nexus 6p.

Thanks in advance

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Audio Quality from speakers and headset jack

Boom sound is better than anything else I have heard from a phone. But the Nexus 6p is still really good, it's just not as deep sounding as the m8. My opinion is m8/m9>moto x pure edition>nexus 6p. But all three are really darn good.

Posted via the Android Central App

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Poor Sound Quality

I did an A/B test on the earphone music sound quality with my OnePlus One. I used the same song file, same music app, and same headphones. My OPO was dramatically better. This was a disappointment for me because I really care about good sound quality with my music. I was also very surprised. I guess they used a cheap DAC.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Poor Sound Quality

I did an A/B test on the earphone music sound quality with my OnePlus One. I used the same song file, same music app, and same headphones. My OPO was dramatically better. This was a disappointment for me because I really care about good sound quality with my music. I was also very surprised. I guess they used a cheap DAC.

Snapdragon has a built-in DAC. However, the manufacturer can add another high quality DAC in which both DACs could be used. But Nexus 6P did not add one.

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Audio Quality from speakers and headset jack

Boom sound is better than anything else I have heard from a phone. But the Nexus 6p is still really good, it's just not as deep sounding as the m8. My opinion is m8/m9>moto x pure edition>nexus 6p. But all three are really darn good.

Is Boom sound like HTC Beats? Just s/w processing?

If so, I would imagine it could/would be ported to the N6P in due time. Pretty sure Beats got ported to custom ROMs pretty quickly after it was "released"

esuser1

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
To my knowledge it is, could be wrong though. And yes I'm sure it could be ported, but I would prefer if it was comparable out of the box. Either way sounds like I should be OK with the switch

KngR

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Finally received my Frost 64GB phone today. Everything has been amazing/good, until I finally tested out the sound with headphones. First head phone I tried was Momentum's. At first go sound was really low despite almost maxing the volume. I also realized that sound was only coming from one side, so I tried jostling the 3MM plug. Nothing seemed to work. So next I tried using the P7s and I had sound from both ears, tried a set of earphones and had sound in both ears. So after trying a few pairs I tried the Momentum's again, and it worked! I'm overall disappointed with the 6P coming from the M8. Sound produced by the phones DAC seemed low in volume and just was just sub par overall. Anyone else disappointed with the 6Ps sound quality?

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I thought everything was going great with the 6p until I used the phone on speaker phone this afternoon. Talked to a couple people with speaker phone and full volume and I could barely hear what they were saying. I will have to test it out. Could be a fluke thing or on their end but I haven't had this problem with my 6s plus or note 5. I guess it could be a hardware problem as well.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
At first go sound was really low despite almost maxing the volume. I also realized that sound was only coming from one side, so I tried jostling the 3MM plug. Nothing seemed to work. So after trying a few pairs I tried the Momentum's again, and it worked! I'm overall disappointed with the 6P coming from the M8. Sound produced by the phones DAC seemed low in volume and just was just sub par overall. Anyone else disappointed with the 6Ps sound quality?

I had those same issues trying my Shure SE215s on the headphone jack - it sounds just awful. On some songs there's this really weird reverb going on too of the songs which makes songs with reverb sound even weirder. Hopefully this gets fixed in a future update.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had those same issues trying my Shure SE215s on the headphone jack - it sounds just awful. On some songs there's this really weird reverb going on too of the songs which makes songs with reverb sound even weirder. Hopefully this gets fixed in a future update.

Were you using the Google music app and if so did you have the equalizer enabled? Try disabling it

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Ugh, sound is not very good through headphones or speakers for me. Haven't bluetooth streamed in the car yet, but this would be a returnable offense unfortunately.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
the sound quality is meh - as stated in previous posts in doesnt have the power to drive even portable low impedence phones properly. at max volume it's ok but could use a few more notches of volume. just like the nexus 6. it's a shame. i have a tiny portable amp i used with the nexus 6, the firefly or something like that but it's a nuisance.

call quality using the handset is great though, people sound crystal clear - the best of any phone i've tried.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Were you using the Google music app and if so did you have the equalizer enabled? Try disabling it

This was through Groove Music - a reboot cleared things up!! As mentioned before, it's just all very quiet :/

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
How about the sound streaming through Bluetooth ?? that be a deal breaker as i stream everything in my truck-.
Bluetooth range through my stereo receiver was much better than my Lumia 1020. Sounded perfectly fine to me (that said I have an aptx receiver which is near-lossless)

KngR

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Another thing that sounds like more of a software problem. I have music setting so that when you plug back in your headphone it auto plays. But when I plug in any headphones/earphones the music starts, stops abruptly and starts playing again.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
This could be a deal breaker for me. Anyone coming from the S6 or Note 5, how do they compare?

dreaming of electric sheep

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This could be a deal breaker for me. Anyone coming from the S6 or Note 5, how do they compare?

dreaming of electric sheep

I have to admit that I'm beginning to have some doubts here. Between the Bluetooth issue and now this .... I use my phone in the car a ton to make hands free calls, so the Bluetooth problems could be a deal breaker; and I specifically got the 128GB because I wanted to have all my music (over 60GB) on one device again, as I listen to music a lot via both headphones and Bluetooth speaker.

I'm still loving most of what I see and hear and know about this phone, but these 2 recent revelations are definitely causing me to have some second thoughts.

Guess I have some time to mull it over, since my order is still "pending" and isn't scheduled to ship until 11/13.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz