How are you migrating your "stuff"?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2013 Moto X, my 6P is due for delivery tomorrow. Are you guys migrating call logs and text history or do you start fresh? If you migrate that info, how are you doing it?

My contacts are synced through Google, just looking for suggestions for migrating the texts. I use Hangouts for my text messaging if it matters. Do I need something like SMS Backup and Restore (I recall this one from the Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt days), is there another way? Will the NFC link/transfer during setup move this data?

kenpbuck

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I start fresh for everything except text messages. SMS Backup and Restore is my go to for those. Works quick and easy. I like to start with a clean phone and skip apps I haven't used in a long time.

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Why do people need to carry old text messages from one device to another. I never understood this. Anything important can be screen captured and everything else is waste space.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I prefer starting fresh. I don't accept the offer to install all my apps from my other phone, but instead just pick and choose the ones I'm really using day-to-day. I also like to use the opportunity to reassess what e-mail accounts are important to include, and what social networks I want to have access to my information. I don't want to carry all that dead weight I've built up over the lifetime of the former phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I start fresh. No texts I have are that important. If it is important, email me.

Posted via my S6 with Samsung Pay!

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I always start fresh. Seems so much simpler that way to me. I have a few Gmail accounts I set up, sync my contacts and transfer my music and videos. That's it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others have said I started fresh. I have my contacts / apps and all that download from my Google Account. I don't care about saving text messages. On the phones I use I don't go deleting them since I don't care but I also don't try and save them from a wipe or whatever. I wouldn't keep anything super important via text message only.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I did the phone to phone transfer from first boot which seems to work better than before. Only installed the apps I currently have on my HAM2 which isn't very much. If I don't use an app consistently, it goes away. Many times, for those apps, web browser works just as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I did the phone tranfer from my Nexus 6 and it worked really well, it even had Nova launcher as my default like I had it on my N6.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I decided to go the "clean" route, only reinstalling what I needed to get up and running and not moving my texts over. I kind of forced it as it was in the middle of downloading apps and then I tried working the case either on or off and it shut the phone down. It wouldn't resume loading apps so I figured I'd take the opportunity to start clean.

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I also save text messages so that I have proof of my ex's lies about me in family court as well as to show court the way she talks to me and lies she tells.
Won't be and issue soon as my son is 12 yrs. Old now and can speak for himself in court if need be but always better to be safe than sorry!!!!

Posted via Nexus 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz