First Nexus phone, have some noob questions

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
First off, loving this 6P. Like a sports car it's fast, beautiful, and a pleasure to use. That said, I have a few questions as this is my first Nexus phone (I've had a GS4 and a Note 4 previously).

Music Player - I don't really listen to streaming music. I really liked the music player on the Galaxy phones because it let me create playlists on the fly and had an equalizer. Any recommendations on a music playing app?

Vibrate - This is all very confusing to me. Basically, I want to turn off vibrate for everything, even when in silent. If I slide the volume controls all the way to the left, it goes into vibrate mode.

Battery % - I know the trick to find the "hidden" settings menu to show the battery %. However, it's still quite small to me. Any app that can do this?

Doze - Is this something I need to enable or does it work automatically?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I know a lot of people like PowerAmp. I haven't used it myself. I just installed VLC on my 6P, it does have an equalizer. Again, not much experience with it.

I can't comment on the vibrate or the battery %.

Doze - it's just there, not much to do unless you want apps to ignore doze and still sync when the phone is idle.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
First off, loving this 6P. Like a sports car it's fast, beautiful, and a pleasure to use. That said, I have a few questions as this is my first Nexus phone (I've had a GS4 and a Note 4 previously).

Congrats.

Music Player - I don't really listen to streaming music. I really liked the music player on the Galaxy phones because it let me create playlists on the fly and had an equalizer. Any recommendations on a music playing app?

Google Play Music - it should already be installed.

Doze - Is this something I need to enable or does it work automatically?

It is automatic.

Vibrate - This is all very confusing to me. Basically, I want to turn off vibrate for everything, even when in silent. If I slide the volume controls all the way to the left, it goes into vibrate mode.

The "total silence" option in the quick settings does this.

Battery % - I know the trick to find the "hidden" settings menu to show the battery %. However, it's still quite small to me. Any app that can do this?

I'll leave this one for others. I'm not aware of anything that can make it larger without root - although you can get an app such as Battery Widget Reborn and it will put a big number with a circle around it in your notifications with your battery %.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What's the secret to getting the battery percentage to show?

Hold down the settings gear in the settings pulldown for 3-5 seconds, when you let go a new menu will be available in settings called "System UI Tuner". Option is in there.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I THINK you get a little wrench next to the gear on the notification pull-down if you've done the "trick" properly. I'd post a screenshot but the AC app crashed when I tried to attach (yes, it has storage permissions).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I THINK you get a little wrench next to the gear on the notification pull-down if you've done the "trick" properly. I'd post a screenshot but the AC app crashed when I tried to attach (yes, it has storage permissions).

Yes, it does.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The "total silence" option in the quick settings does this.

Tried "Total Silence" and it works with one important caveat. It also disables vibrate and notifications to my Android Wear watch. Not sure if there is a fix for this. I basically want just the phone completely muted but if I get a text or call, it will alert me on my watch. I was able to do that with my Note 4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tried "Total Silence" and it works with one important caveat. It also disables vibrate and notifications to my Android Wear watch. Not sure if there is a fix for this. I basically want just the phone completely muted but if I get a text or call, it will alert me on my watch. I was able to do that with my Note 4.

Are you using the Google messenger app?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the Google messenger app?

Two steps with Google dialer and messenger app:

1. Settings > Sound & Notification > Set it to lowest volume (vibrate) and then uncheck "also vibrate for calls".
2. Messenger go to Settings > Uncheck "Vibrate"

Test that out, but it should be silent when you receive a call and text and your watch should still get the notifications.

Adamd1169

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, that option doesn't show up even though I have developer options enabled.

Not a developer option. Pull down with 2 fingers from the top. Then hold down on the gear shape at the top right for like 5 seconds. When you let go you'll see a popup say you have ui tuner options now. Then at the bottom of the settings list you'll see the option.

Posted via the Android Central App

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
How do you like it compared to the note 4 which im currently using. mine Lags and it drives me crazy.....

It's noticeable upgrade from the Note 4. Two major things for me:

1. Phone is cooler. Especially when text messages are frequently in a short amount of time, my Note 4 would get noticeably hot. Right next to the camera, it was very noticeable. The 6P at most gets warm; if I had to guess maybe 50% cooler than the Note 4.

2. Text messages (especially MMS) are coming and going much faster. I use Verizon. Sometimes there is a noticeable lag until the app says it was "sent" on my Note 4. While the 6P isn't instantaneous for MMS, it's damn close and definitely faster.

Stephen Martino

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
How do you like it compared to the note 4 which im currently using. mine Lags and it drives me crazy.....
I loved my Note 4 but I really wanted to try pure Android. Overall the 6p is fast and really smooth. I have not experienced any lag and I'm enjoying the change. I do miss a few things from the Note 4: ability to turn off the camera sound from within the camera, a few of the quick settings, the Samsung keyboard and the back of the Note 4. Sure it is plastic but it is very grippy. This phone is very slippery. Beautiful but way to slippery. I usually go naked but I definitely will be getting a case. Overall I highly recommend this phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey