Unlock from carrier? Bell Nexus 6P

jasperlin

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

My brother is helping me order the phone from Bell. He can get it unlocked for $50, but I was hoping someone knew of a reliable and cheaper option!

Thanks!

jasperlin

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Buy the phone from Google, it will be unlocked.

Posted via the Android Central App

as much as I'd like to do this, my broski can get me this phone for $150 CAD vs. $700 CAD by getting it on a contract. i would honestly love to get it on google play and do the 64gb version, but the price differenence is too much.

jasperlin

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
If retail cost is an issue you might consider purchasing directly from Huawei. They offer financing (at least in the USA).

well... we're talking about a difference of $550. I'm just asking to see if anyone knows how to unlock the device anywhere for a price that is less than $50. my option is to pay Bell $50 to unlock.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
well... we're talking about a difference of $550. I'm just asking to see if anyone knows how to unlock the device anywhere for a price that is less than $50. my option is to pay Bell $50 to unlock.

Doesn't that normally require that you first buy out the contract and/or pay the full retail cost of the phone? That would have been typical in the US back when carriers were charging to unlock a device (does anyone still do that?).

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
as much as I'd like to do this, my broski can get me this phone for $150 CAD vs. $700 CAD by getting it on a contract. i would honestly love to get it on google play and do the 64gb version, but the price differenence is too much.

Well, there is no free lunch. The carrier is not taking $550 dollars out of their pocket to give you a phone for $150. You are making higher monthly payments for your service to cover that. It has to come from somewhere...

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
yea....you're not getting it for $150 compared to $700. first of all it's $220 on contract. Second of all, even if he just gives you the phone, he's on the hook for paying off the $480 "subsidy" that you get now.

Someone is paying the price difference. the phone doesn't magically become $480 cheaper.

constable

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Untrue. Canadian contracts are limited to two years now. They have been for over 2 years now. Research shows the Canadian consumer likes buying a phone at a subsidized price every 2 years so there is no appetite for change.

jasperlin

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
this is a corporate plan so they're still allowed to be three years. he's got a 3 year plan at work which that started a few months ago and he's already allowed to renew.

anyhow... any help with the unlock?? i'm guessing not now.

tehbobs

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Unless something changed, all the new nexus phones are factory unlocked, or they are supposed to be. However, why would you want to unlock the phone? Since you will be paying for service from Bell anyway, why not just use them? Otherwise you will have to cancel your contract and pay a penalty.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Unless something changed, all the new nexus phones are factory unlocked, or they are supposed to be. However, why would you want to unlock the phone? Since you will be paying for service from Bell anyway, why not just use them? Otherwise you will have to cancel your contract and pay a penalty.

He doesn't want to use it on Bell. In fact, I'm not even certain he wants to use it in Canada.

nibras23

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Hahaha
This made me laugh.
You don't really believe you will get a $700 phone on contract for $150, pay $50 to unlock it and never have to pay the rest of the phone's price, do you?

Posted via the Android Central App

cpowerca

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
dude. you can get the phone for free if you sign a new contract with bell, they will happily do that for you. also nexus 6p is unlocked, i've asked a bell employee and no way they would lock this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463