First days with the Nexus 6P... coming from a G4

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
These are just some impressions I’ll randomly throw out about the 6P (32g Aluminum in NY, NY) as a G4 user. I’ll try to keep them short. I don’t think I’ll be successful.

Coming from the G4, which I thought had pretty good build quality with it’s interchangeable leather back and ever so slightly curved display, picking up that cool metal frame out of the box was a totally different beast. This thing is incredible in the hand. It’s got real weight to it that the G4 lacks, and it’s overall just solid. I bought the Aluminum one cause I liked the contrast between the light gray and black, and how the “nexus” on the back stands out over the black version. It feels premium, which is cliché but hey, it IS what it is. I actually find myself worrying a little less over maintenance of the 6P then the G4 due to that leather back. As nice as it was at first, I found myself hiding it at the very first sight of rain, messy hands, you name it. I’m super careful with both devices, but at the end of the day you can always wipe off the back of the N6. You can argue that the leather back of the G4 is more of a pain in terms of maintenance then I’d prefer. Back to Nexus land, with my girlfriend having a 6 Plus, and my friend having both a Moto N6 & a Galaxy S6 Edge+, trying to be as objective as possible the winner goes to the 6P in terms of build quality. It’s just that good.

That screen. Again, my G4 has what I believe to be the best LCD screen on the market. The 6P’s screen, I think, edge’s that out. That’s not saying I believe the 6P’s screen is a little better than the G4, that’s me still saying that the 6P is fantastic and the G4’s is nearly that damn good too. LG’s claim to fame is how true to life the G4’s display is, and when putting certain wallpapers on both, they probably are right as the 6P’s screen tended to make reds in a wallpaper a little on the orange side. However, without a better way to explain it, the 6P’s screen just looks “funner”. Those blacks, and the way colors get so deep and seemingly punch you in the eye socket, It’s a viewing experience that you can really show off.

On a display side note, upon putting them side to side with the Edge Plus, there are situations where the Edge looks ever so slightly better, and others where actually the 6P looks better. But if you were to ever be splitting hairs, here’s where you do it. I can’t call a clear winner. Oh, and it stomps on the Moto N6. As expected.

Front facing speakers. Wow. I never had front facing speakers. I did not get the hype. Who cares? I listen to music with headphones. Well, I retract all of it. As I’m typing away here, I’ve got the 6P next to me playing some Spotify (yeah I still need to cash in my Play Music gift) and It’s simply a joy. Fills my smallish apartment just fine. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ready to throw out my speakers anytime soon, but this is officially a phone feature I’ll be keeping on my list going forward. A little curious why speaker phone calls don’t use both speakers, but whatevs. Definitely the loudest speaker phone I’ve ever used regardless. The G4’s single rear speaker, up to my 6P purchase, I thought was good. Now, it’s just passable.

User experience/UI. Like I’ve said, I came from the LG G4. Before that, the G3 and before that, the G2 (one of my favorite’s of all time) On the G4, I thought the UI (or UX, whatever you like) was good. Pretty good, actually, ya know? I mean, Smart Notice was kinda useful and pointless all in one. The Icons.. eh, there’s icon packs for that. The app draw… eh, there’s Nova or GNL for that. Which you wanted to switch to anyway cause after some use, the LG UI tends to redraw itself more frequently then I’d like when using everything stock. And it’s mostly, pretty much, almost all the timeish smooth. Oh, and turn off that left screen “learn how to use your G4!” garbage. No LG, stop it. Then you use the Nexus, and in all the little ways, it’s a huge difference. So this is how Android it suppose to operate. It’s hard to articulate the noticeable difference in feeling when running pure Marshmallow over a UI that’s “close to” or “near” stock. The subtle animations, the cohesiveness over how everything works with each other. Google Messenger just works better on the 6P then it ever did on the G4. The GNL just flows smoother on the 6P then it ever did on the G4. It feels, dare I say, premium. Experiencing the 6P, I must join the masses when I say that LG needs to get their **** together with there “UX”. In a nutshell, the 6P runs and feels modern and current whereas the G4 feels ok, but dated.

In an attempt to make a sports analogy out of the two, the G4 is the team with a billion dollar payroll that bought players left and right from different teams (The camera front and back, the leather back, the “Quantum” display) and on paper, they’re some of the best in the league. But they have very little chemistry with each other, and thought the team gets it’s wins, they don’t play like a very well oiled unit and it slows during the course of the season. The N6 is that team that’s all home grown talent, which has finally hit it’s stride and has also become one of the best in the league. Everybody always knowns where everyone is on the ice (hockey fan, go Rangers) and they’re impossible to beat.

Battery life on the 6P bests the G4 relatively easily. I will be fair and mention that the 6P is brand new whereas I’ve got months of use on the G4 already, but with that said I still feel the difference. I never reach for the charger for the 6P during the course of the day, and I always have a decent amount left at night. And I’m more on the heavy side of usage. I had a spare battery with the G4, and depending on the day I had to make sure I brought it with me.

Things I don’t like about the 6P. You have no idea how many times I have headphones on, pull out the phone from my pocket and reach for the fingerprint sensor only to remember it’s upside down. Really, really, really wish the headphone jack was on the bottom.

So far, that’s really it.

Things I miss about the G4. As much as I spent time before blasting the UI, LG put some tricks in there that I used regularly. I had a QuickMemo/Screenshot soft key button added to take a quick screen shot, draw on the screen, and quickly share it with somebody. This was incredibly useful when I wanted to point something out on my screen to somebody and could just circle it, and sent it on it’s way. I still sometimes find myself trying to tap on the screen to turn it off, or use the fingerprint button on the back to take a picture (as the volume down button acted like a shutter). I got a free 128 gig SD card from LG, which was awesome and completely useless with the 6P. I only bought the 32g variant so I have to be mindful of how much I’m putting on here.

I thought I’d miss the camera, and yes the camera on the G4 is so, so good. However the 6P camera is also so, so good. It’s hard to call a winner here. Some situations I preferred the G4, and others I actually think the 6P bests it. Even in low light, where I expected to miss the G4 the most. I really haven’t done enough camera tests to tell which one I really like better, so these are just purely initial impressions.

I’ll try to answer any questions if anyone has any. I’m not an experienced reviewer (no kidding) but so far I’m super impressed with the Nexus. My plan is to eventually even out my usage and go back and froth between the two, but I have to admit that that first jump back to the G4 isn’t going going to be an easy one. Hope some of this was useful to some of you guys and gals.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that great review! It makes me even more impatient for my 6P to arrive (come on, Huawei!). Some people have posted about yellowish screen tint--it sounds like you have none of that?

SinfulDroid

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Nice review, I was actually thinking about getting the G4 but something about the 6p kept drawing me to it. I get my 6p tomorrow!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
As a fellow New Yorker and one who is waiting for a 6P to be delivered, I bless you for this honest review, lol. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Ernesto#AC

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I do miss not having a dedicated gallery app. I think Google photos need a little work. I can't even crop a picture on there. Has anyone had any lag on their camera?

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I dislike LG's UI, otherwise I would have went for the G4 when it came out.

Honestly you just can't beat stock Android, I've always been a nexus user and have always loved the whole Vanilla experience. However the camera, the build quality, the speakers, and a few other things have always been the downfall. I've always had my iPhone as my daily driver, so the camera thing never bothered me. Well now my nexus is right up there with my 6s plus, sometimes even besting it, especially on low light situations. Lack of OIS for videos is my only real gripe. Love this phone.

Why not me

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
can you talk about performance in bright sun light.I had the g2 which was good under light can you use that as a base line. Oh yes I have been reading that the head phone jack volume is very low to?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a g4 also. If not for how quick the battery dies on it, I'd probably still have it

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Headphone jack volume problem is overrated. It doesn't go as loud as my iPhone did, but I used to listened to it too loud anyway

anon(8938849)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a G4 as well. Last night I compared them side by side and I was amazed at how much better the display is on the 6p. I loved my G4 display until I did that. Colors are more vibrant, blacks are deeper, and it stays bright and legible when viewing from angles. I was shocked to notice that my G4, which already isn't quite as bright, got noticeably dim when viewing from anywhere other than straight on. This is without screen protectors on either one.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
You Traitor! LG's rules! Haha, just kidding. I am a big fan of LG, but I have only cheated on LG when mostly stock Android is involved, so I can see the draw to the 6P. LG's Android overlay is terrible, but they do make very practical hardware and the camera's are great (my main concern).

I have owned several Motorola's and once you have tried Stock Android, it is tough to go back.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
A review the common user can appreciate. I think people get hyped up reading professional reviews, with all the little details.

Truth is, if the majority of (non-techie) people were to write a review of new phones they bought, it would read just like this one. Most people will not notice the fine differences between; say a G4 vs 6P in screens, performance, camera, etc. I think most of the flagships are right there together. Unless there is a blaring defect, really poor battery performance, or the size of the device doesn't match what someone wants, these days there is little to be disappointed in.

Stage 1: Cold metal is the ultimate in feeling premium in hand. Stage 2: In another week, something else will replace it. Fear of dropping it, always babying it, and fatigue of the "its slippery" mental stress. Stage 3: Then you get a case. Stage 4: you wish you didn't have a case, so you can appreciate its beauty. Stage 5: I want a phone that I don't have to put a case on, but yet feels premium

At least that is my experience with metal phones. It is a vicious circle. So I go back and forth on durable vs metal. I buy one, then the other.

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm really enjoying my Nexus 6P, and I upgraded from the LG G3, which I was also very fond of.

Some features I miss:

1) As the OP mentioned, the double tap the screen to turn on/off. So very useful while the phone's mounted on my car dash, or laying flat on a desk.

2) Having the volume buttons on the back of the phone. On my G3, I almost never accidentally hit the volume keys while holding or picking up the device, but with the 6P and where the buttons are located on the side, I'm frequently hitting the volume keys, especially when pulling the phone out of my pocket.

3) OIS. The 6P takes some great still photos, particularly in low light, but the videos are pretty bad. With the slightest bit of movement (slowly walking), and even while standing fairly still, my recordings exhibit plenty of Jello vision. On my G3 and HTC One M7, both with optical image stabilization, the videos were so much smoother.

4) Apt-X. I have a couple of pairs of Bluetooth headphones that support the codec, and I really miss the improved fidelity.

5) IR blaster. I used the LG Quick Remote app on all my A/V equipment. So very convenient.

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that great review! It makes me even more impatient for my 6P to arrive (come on, Huawei!). Some people have posted about yellowish screen tint--it sounds like you have none of that?

I'll tell ya this. I fired up the G4, set both up to max brightness and compared the whites in Google Now and in the Play Store and without question, the 6P's whites look muted compared to the G4. The "Quantium display" nails whites and because of that alone, the screen appears to maybe be a little brighter overall. Oddly enough, if you start to tip the screen and view it off angle, the 6P's whites then look more brighter and on par with the LCD panel. Go figure.

Looking at the screen just by itself, the 6P's whites look fine. I really never noticed that they weren't "white white" until I put it up against the G4. BUT, to be completely fair, I can see how some people would say the whites look like they have a yellowish tint when you compare them to top class LCD screens. I think that's just the give and take of having an amoled panel.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol