Nexus 6P - Gmail Notifications?

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Since I have had my 6P for the past week, Gmail fails to notify me of any new, incoming emails. The only way I'm able to see if I've got new emails is to manually open the app and see the individual label notifications. I've made sure I've got notifications turned on within the Gmail app, switched it on and off, forced close the Gmail app several times to restart it, turn on and off syncing from the 'Accounts' settings page. I don't know what else to do at this point. Has any experienced any notification issues with the Gmail app since they've switched to the 6P? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Gmail Notifications?

Open Inbox > click Menu in top left corner > scroll down and click on Settings > click on your email name (xxx@gmail.com) > then make sure Notifications box has check mark and Inbox sound & vibrate is on or off depending what all you want

also go into Settings > Apps > Gmail > Notifications and then make sure Block all is turned OFF

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site

Open Inbox > click Menu in top left corner > scroll down and click on Settings > click on your email name (xxx@gmail.com) > then make sure Notifications box has check mark and Inbox sound & vibrate is on or off depending what all you want

also go into Settings > Apps > Gmail > Notifications and then make sure Block all is turned OFF

I appreciate your response and help! As I've mentioned before, I've made sure the notifications settings are turned on within the Gmail app. I did follow your instructions, just to ensure my settings were adjusted correctly. I am coming from a Nexus 5, so I made sure the settings were set the same way on my 6P. Also, I have been sending myself test emails to try to activate gmail notifications. So far, the notifications from my test emails have been very VERY inconsistent with only 1 notification, first test email, coming through and none after that.

tommymonk

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I was in exactly the same situation and could find no one else with an answer.

After several rounds of reinstalling the app, turning the notification settings off then on and rebooting, it just started working.

One tip I would give when problem solving this would be to wait for a minute after sending yourself emails to ensure it is definitely not getting a notification.

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site

I was in exactly the same situation and could find no one else with an answer.

After several rounds of reinstalling the app, turning the notification settings off then on and rebooting, it just started working.

One tip I would give when problem solving this would be to wait for a minute after sending yourself emails to ensure it is definitely not getting a notification.

How were you able to uninstall the app's updates? I've tried uninstalling them, but the app's info buttons, 'Deactivate' and 'Force Close', are grayed out so I can't select them.

tommymonk

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

How were you able to uninstall the app's updates? I've tried uninstalling them, but the app's info buttons, 'Deactivate' and 'Force Close', are grayed out so I can't select them.
I was able to uninstall back to the base version using the standard "uninstall updates" button

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site

I was able to uninstall back to the base version using the standard "uninstall updates" button

I know what you're referring too. Oddly, in both the App settings and in the Play Store, "Uninstall Updates" is replaced by "Deactivate". I'm not sure what's going on there. :-\

threshfire

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I've noticed this issue too. I made a post on Reddit and found another post on XDA. Sorry! Can't post direct links yet.

Reddit: /r/Nexus6P/comments/3seyj6/delayed_gmail_syncnotifications/

XDA: /nexus-6p/help/delayed-push-notifications-t3246147

In no particular order, I've:
  • Removed my Google account and readded
  • Removed my Gmail account and readded
  • Gone through Gmail settings to make sure that notifications are on, sync is active, managed labels
  • Gone through the Google account to make sure that Gmail sync is on
  • Restarted
  • Uninstalled updates to Gmail from the Play Store
  • Reinstalled updates to Gmail from the Play Store
  • Force Stopped Gmail
  • Cleared data from Gmail
  • Cleared cache from Gmail
  • Removed it from optimized apps
  • Changed my password on computer, then waited for phone to ask to reinput, reinputted

It's looking to be a Gmail issue. Perhaps something to do with 6.0 support?

threshfire

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Was looking around and saw someone posted on the official Nexus forums; if anyone here is still having the issue, please head over and +1/reply so Google can escalate the fix.

/productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/Ayd_1TOemSE

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Was looking around and saw someone posted on the official Nexus forums; if anyone here is still having the issue, please head over and +1/reply so Google can escalate the fix.

/productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/Ayd_1TOemSE

Have this issue too on the 6P

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

This is a widespread issue I think (I found a thread on Google product forums with a lot of replies). I turned off gmail battery optimization in settings and gmail notifications seem to be coming in normally for me now.

Posted via the Android Central App

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Just bought a new nexus 6P and set it up. I'm using gmail app for all my email accounts and I get notification for all emails other than the gmail. Unless I open the gmail app and do a refresh it doesn't get gmails updated. Is this a bug with the gmail app? I get the same gmail instantly on my BlackBerry.

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

I'm experiencing the same issues with Gmail push. I am now using the outlook app to get my gmail and it works perfectly. Hopefully Google will come out with a fix for this soon.

Salad Bar

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

I had the same issue and had to do two of the steps listed in these threads. 1. Remove the Gmail account and re-add it. 2. Ensure the Application Notifications setting is not set to BLOCK.

Good luck