priv or nexus or any other android?

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
dear friends, i have a question... first off, let me say that i have NO experience with android at all so this question is not really for me to get one of these phones but for my wife... she is ready to upgrade her s4... she is looking for options, she took a look at the priv at an att store, and she wasn't impressed (even when looking at a phone for 10 min attached to the wall won't give you a good idea of any device)... however, since i want her to get the best option and definitely she is staying with android, i was checking some threads and i saw the nexus 6p... despite the fact that the phone has no sd card, and non removable battery (as the priv) the phone seems solid, or at least i think so... big plus is to receive the os updates quickly... downside, from some reviews/journalists, it's the chinese manufacturer... but here again, your privacy is on the spot when you are already getting a google phone... in the same line, any other android device you can recommend to take a look? she saw a s6 edge and liked it... i would say that if for her having a physical kb again is not that important then she will need to decide among the dozens of options with android, so any help would be great... any insights or recommendations would be very appreciated... thanks!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What does she prefer/want?

Screen size, resolution, AMOLED or LCD, camera quality, on screen or capacitive buttons, battery life, micro SD, fingerprint sensor, front facing speakers, wireless charging, stock Android or skin, etc.

Last edited:

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Priv is blackberry's first real dance with Android, while I like RIM & BlackBerry there are already reports of signal issues with the phone. Honestly I'd go for the 6p, I'm just not so sure how the whole sliding keyboard thing will age and more so how much a physical keyboard is needed in this day and age.

Nexus is age proof for the next few years and offers a really good package spec wise.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I suggest you take a good look at the Sony Z5 Compact, or Sony Z5 Premium.

Both have SD Card, amazing battery life, amazing screen. And basically stock android with a Sony theme

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Battery life on the s6 edge is awful. I had an s6 edge plus and it too is pretty bad

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the replies... regarding the physical kb, quite honestly there is nothing like typing on a real kb for me... I hate sending an important email and see a typo, I think it says a lot about you in a professional field... for that reason I have a passport (bb) besides the communication side which is great in this device... however my wife isn't in the same situation and for her apps are death or live situations... that's why I am not pushing her to get the Priv or any device for that matter, just doing some research and make an informed decision... in that sense I am helping her to grab the necessary information because it's her phone and she will has to choose the one that suits her needs better... I will ask her her preferences and check out the suggestions you guys have given here... thanks a lot!

Last edited:

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe start with what she likes/dislikes about the s4. She's had time to live with that phone for a while. It can show what she likes and what to avoid while looking for the next phone.

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
yep, good point, smart approach... we are moving in to a new place and i haven't had the chance to ask her but i will once i can... meanwhile, what you guys think about the priv? being a bb user myself, i see more enthusiasm from android users than from bb fans... thanks!

Maybe start with what she likes/dislikes about the s4. She's had time to live with that phone for a while. It can show what she likes and what to avoid while looking for the next phone.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
yep, good point, smart approach... we are moving in to a new place and i haven't had the chance to ask her but i will once i can... meanwhile, what you guys think about the priv? being a bb user myself, i see more enthusiasm from android users than from bb fans... thanks!

I'm not all that excited about the priv since it's a slider and I like having at least decent developer support, but I think having more options is definitely a good thing. Might consider something like a z30 running Android with updated specs.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Me neither. I'd rather use a 9900 or the newer classic. Blackberry is just grasping for straws now. If your wife loved her S4 she'll def love the S6. It has no removable battery or SD card, but you can get it with 128GB. And really, when was the last time she swapped batteries. People use the swap battery conspiracy to much around here. We have fast charging/quick charging/portable power packs/Turbo charging/wireless charging. The hole replaceable battery argument is dead.

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
obviously i would need to check with her but i agree, the removable battery isn't a factor anymore... the sd card could be a factor except that you get a phone with at 128gb, even 64gb if you are smart using the memory... regarding bb, it's just a shame, those devices are communication beasts, but with no ecosystem... i had a z30, nice device but i do prefer the physical kb... it is possible that i will try an android device one day, and maybe the priv would be the easier transition since it has some bb apps/customization... regarding what my wife wants, i do hear her complaining about her s4 all the time: laggy, too much bloatware, terrible to the extreme battery life... she is not very savvy and sometimes i feel she has never learned how to use her device properly... i cannot help her there since as i said, i have never used an android... the only thing i do know she wants is a device that last the whole day, and i think she is not a heavy user in the sense of playing games or watching movies... she is more like the typical user of social apps, facebook, instagram, pintarest, checking videos, emails, what'sapp... but she spends the whole day using her phone so the battery life is, 100%, a key factor...

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I still love my 9900, unfortunately love it for work only. She is def right tho, the S4 all the way up to the S6 are laggy, and loaded with tons of bloat. If she's tired of that I would look on to something different. The nexus 6p is a beast. Has great camera, no lag, and no bloat. The battery for me lasts all day. Although, it is a no frills kinda of device, and therefore some may get board with its lack of features. Tough call.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995