I purchased my 6P on Project Fi and it said that Nexus Protect was not yet available... I'm scheduled to get my phone today. Did I miss my opportunity to get Nexus Protect? Or was/is it not available for Fi users?

Posted via Android Central App
    11-09-2015 10:23 AM
    I would contact one of the tech support persons via chat on the Project Fi website and see what they say. My understanding was Nexus Protect was for people who purchased via Google Store
    11-09-2015 10:34 AM
    They are supposed to be offering a protection plan in the near future. You can ask them to put you on a notification list if you didn't click that check box when you ordered the phone. From what I understand that even if you buy the protection plan after you get your phone it will cover it from the time you purchased it. So if you break it before they even offer the protection you can then buy the protection plan when it's available and make a claim.
    I also read somewhere that they might make it available as a monthly payment to go with your Fi plan so you don't have to pay $89 up front. When I asked last week they didn't give me many details, just that one is coming.
    11-09-2015 10:59 AM
    I purchased my 6P on Project Fi and it said that Nexus Protect was not yet available... I'm scheduled to get my phone today. Did I miss my opportunity to get Nexus Protect? Or was/is it not available for Fi users?

Posted via Android Central App
    Project Fi does not offer Nexus Protect. Fi will be offering insurance; from what I can gather, it will be a monthly fee; it is unknown when it will become available through Fi -- though indications appear to be that it will be at least a couple of months. When it is available, Nexus 5X and 6P owners will be given a grace period to sign up because of the delay. In the meantime, various people have heard from Fi support that, if you have issues (such as breaking your screen), you'll be able to get the phone repaired for $100 until the insurance is offered.

One thing I'm hearing is that unlike Google Store orders, Google is not handling the warranty on Fi orders -- instead, Huawei is handling the warranty claims. Typically Google has shipped out a new/refurbished phone and basically replaced your Nexus phone if it needed warranty work; what I'm hearing with Project Fi is that you have to ship your phone to Huawei, and that you are likely to be without a phone for 2 weeks while it is being repaired. Chances are, once insurance becomes available, it will include a program so you aren't without a phone. Still, this is concerning if you don't get the insurance or until Fi finalizes their "Nexus Protect" type of program.
    11-09-2015 11:09 AM
    Just order through play store with nexus protect, order fi sim separately, problem solved.
    jrvtecaccord likes this.
    11-09-2015 11:19 AM
    Just order through play store with nexus protect, order fi sim separately, problem solved.
    Fi offered monthly payments for the device and on the play store they were out of the 128gb graphite version I wanted so I went with Fi. Been wanting to try them out anyways. Hopefully they'll offer it to those who already have the phone.
    11-12-2015 12:49 AM
    I have the phone though Fi, will be calling them tomorrow to see what's up with the protection plan.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-12-2015 01:36 AM
    I chatted with them and they said they are still ironing out the details for the Fi protection plan. It will not be Nexus Protect for us who order via Project Fi. I was told it was be a subscription based plan. But no details are available.

11-12-2015 08:21 PM
    What is the nexus Protect? is it a warranty on the phone, or just personal data/ personal security stuff?
    https://store.google.com/magazine/nexus_protect
    11-13-2015 09:48 AM
    I chatted with them and they said they are still ironing out the details for the Fi protection plan. It will not be Nexus Protect for us who order via Project Fi. I was told it was be a subscription based plan. But no details are available.

The link that someone posted to the Google Store explains it, but wanted to reassure you that it is most definitely available. I ordered my 6p on 11/10, and paid the one time cost for the Nexus Protect for $89 that same day. My phone arrived the next day, even though they told me it would be a week. So, I'm covered for the next two years. Don't normally get insurance through the carriers as it is $10/month usually with a high deductible. For $89, you can't beat it if something happens, and even if it doesn't, that's a lot cheaper than the $240 cost of insurance through a carrier for two years.
    11-13-2015 03:08 PM
    The link that someone posted to the Google Store explains it, but wanted to reassure you that it is most definitely available. I ordered my 6p on 11/10, and paid the one time cost for the Nexus Protect for $89 that same day. My phone arrived the next day, even though they told me it would be a week. So, I'm covered for the next two years. Don't normally get insurance through the carriers as it is $10/month usually with a high deductible. For $89, you can't beat it if something happens, and even if it doesn't, that's a lot cheaper than the $240 cost of insurance through a carrier for two years.
    This is about those who bought the phone through Project Fi. When you order, there is a message saying Nexus Protect is not available but, if you check a box, you will be informed when it comes available. There appears to be no way to get Nexus Protect on a phone ordered through Project Fi.
    11-13-2015 06:08 PM