Lack of reporting on Cracked screen from AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Literally every single Android site has now reported on the cracked screens on the 6p. not a single peep from Android central.

There's a reddit thread that's a mile long with multiple users 6P's visor's randomly just cracking out of nowhere.

You know, fanboy'ism and BIAS'ism is literally why we can't "have nice things"

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is this a serious post?

That reddit thread that is a mile long, has FOUR PEOPLE complaining of this issue occurring. FOUR. Do you have any idea how many devices have shipped? Likely Thousands.

Is it something that maybe should be looked into? Possibly? but it is very, very far from widespread. Maybe AC hasnt posted about it because they arent about click baiting people?

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Is this a serious post?

That reddit thread that is a mile long, has FOUR PEOPLE complaining of this issue occurring. FOUR. Do you have any idea how many devices have shipped? Likely Thousands.

Is it something that maybe should be looked into? Possibly? but it is very, very far from widespread. Maybe AC hasnt posted about it because they arent about click baiting people?

You may want to re-count the number of complaints.

If every other android site is reporting on it, i'm guessing it should be taken seriously.

"Is this a serious post?"

Yes - I'm a consumer, I actually ordered the 6P, one of the most alarming things I've read is users getting a cracked screen and the lack of customer support from Google on this, after one replacement they forward you to Huaweii at which point HW does nothing.

That's very alarming to me, because I don't like throwing money away.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
MOST of the complaints are people just piggybacking off others complaints who either a) don't even have the 6P but just want to complain and b) ones who are totally against any Chinese manufacturer and c) opponents of Android and particularly Nexus devices....I agree there are some who may have a legitimate claim but until it is more than a handful of people complaining, I have no worries

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You may want to re-count the number of complaints.

If every other android site is reporting on it, i'm guessing it should be taken seriously.

"Is this a serious post?"

Yes - I'm a consumer, I actually ordered the 6P, one of the most alarming things I've read is users getting a cracked screen and the lack of customer support from Google on this, after one replacement they forward you to Huaweii at which point HW does nothing.

Yes, I actually ordered a 6p as well, and as I am still waiting for it to ship (since Oct 7th) I've had nothing but time to read up on all of these scare stories. And I did recount the number of complaints in that Reddit thread before posting, as I expected to see more complaints as per your post, and I did not. 4 people. 3 of which bothered to post photos were complaining of spontaneous shattering of the rear glass, along with one or two other random users reporting cracks on their front screen. This is not widespread. You are also taking all of these users at their word that this is exactly what happened. Even if they had no reason to lie and they were telling the 100% truth, you are still looking at well less than 1% of every device being shipped having a defect like this.

Google pushing you off to Huaweii after one replacement is something i can understand being alarming, but still how many people are going to really need to RMA more than once? The general user isnt. And Huaweii isn't doing much about these spontaneous glass shattering issues because there simply isnt enough data out there to consider it a defect, because it's NOT widespread.

If I remember correctly, the original poster of that Reddit thread is shipping his device to Huaweii to be examined by their engineers. Maybe those engineers will find a flaw from production, maybe they wont, but considering glass is easily breakable, it makes sense Huaweii wouldnt give out a new phone just because someone says that's what happened.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

If I were you with your concerns about a device that was just ordered, I would send it back for a full refund if I could. I can feel your anxiety through your posts. Return it.....or don't let it worry/bother you and go on with your new device. For all you know, it may be over blown.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is an example of an issue that I would consider "Widespread": http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/380522-htc-one-m8-camera-lens-issue.html

Notice how many people are complaining about it, and keep in mind these are only the people who noticed and bothered to post on a forum about it. 4 people with a shattered back glass plate (Extremely noticeable) is an interesting story, but its not bothering me. Hopefully I'm relieving some of your stress too. If you are set on this phone, get it, try it, make sure its in tip top shape, and enjoy it. Otherwise return it. Nothing to lose.

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Those 4 people are creating a yellow brick road. I'm a die hard Android user, love the Nexus program and also use a slew of Apple devices. However I make noise when I see real issues, especially hardware.

However I just can't but help saying a lot of people lack common sense these days and not putting a case on your phone and treating it like a rubber ball will result in bad things happening. I'm not saying this phone is perfect, no phone is. But this feels reminiscent of the iPhone 6 launch. People trying to bend phones as soon as they get them, people screaming look its not made of the same stuff a space shuttle is? I mean come on people, its a phone and it needs to be cared for, just like most electronics do. I think the visor thing may be a little blown out of proportion, but its a little to early to see right now. To me sounds like user error, and now some people are pissed because they can't get a replacement.

Also I just have to say it again, a case cures most of these issues, I would never use a phone without a case...ever! The last phone I used without a case was a Blackberry Bold, anything other than the old Berrys gets a case on it. Glass breaks, and Aluminum dents and bends, common sense ....not rocket science here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is this a serious post?

I'm a big fan of not posting click bait. And of not crying wolf.

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Those 4 people are creating a yellow brick road. I'm a die hard Android user, love the Nexus program and also use a slew of Apple devices. However I make noise when I see real issues, especially hardware.

However I just can't but help saying a lot of people lack common sense these days and not putting a case on your phone and treating it like a rubber ball will result in bad things happening. I'm not saying this phone is perfect, no phone is. But this feels reminiscent of the iPhone 6 launch. People trying to bend phones as soon as they get them, people screaming look its not made of the same stuff a space shuttle is? I mean come on people, its a phone and it needs to be cared for, just like most electronics do. I think the visor thing may be a little blown out of proportion, but its a little to early to see right now. To me sounds like user error, and now some people are pissed because they can't get a replacement.

Also I just have to say it again, a case cures most of these issues, I would never use a phone without a case...ever! The last phone I used without a case was a Blackberry Bold, anything other than the old Berrys gets a case on it. Glass breaks, and Aluminum dents and bends, common sense ....not rocket science here.

To me the only worry about the back glass shattering is if its caused by environmental temperature changes (i.e. walking into a 70 degree house while the phone was outside in 20 degree weather). A case will NOT solve that issue, it might help to slow it down some but I dont think it will completely prevent it.

Now, if they shattered it because they put a hot phone down on a cold slab of granite, yes the case will prevent that since the glass cant touch the surface. It looks like the N4 had a similar issue so there was a design change that added "nibs" of plastic on the back to make sure the glass could never touch a surface. I suppose thats an option for this phone if Google/Huawei deems it necessary......but what does that do for people that would have the "old" design?

anon(25362)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
yech I have the nexus 6p graphite 128gb and the visor cracked at some point yesterday - didn't drop it or have any extreme weather change. Its cracked off to the right side of the visor away from the camera which is good. So far phone is functional but i think the glass will start popping out in the next few days. Love the phone - but this kinda stinks. I can post a pic when I get back home.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
To me the only worry about the back glass shattering is if its caused by environmental temperature changes (i.e. walking into a 70 degree house while the phone was outside in 20 degree weather). A case will NOT solve that issue, it might help to slow it down some but I dont think it will completely prevent it.

Now, if they shattered it because they put a hot phone down on a cold slab of granite, yes the case will prevent that since the glass cant touch the surface. It looks like the N4 had a similar issue so there was a design change that added "nibs" of plastic on the back to make sure the glass could never touch a surface. I suppose thats an option for this phone if Google/Huawei deems it necessary......but what does that do for people that would have the "old" design?

If they deem a revision is necessary they likekly wont do anything with an old design unless they get a warranty replacement request for a cracked back glass plate, at which point they would ship a revision for free.

They wont recall all these phones if people arent actually breaking them, but the above would be best practice if they needed to fix it down the road, assuming this ends up being a real issue.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
My phone hasn't bent in half. My rear glass thingy hasn't cracked. Therefore, I can safely extrapolate that it's impossible for anyone else's to have done the same. And I've got two 6Ps, so I count twice.

Am I doing that right?

Seriously, Poseign has it right. Absent any real numbers showing percentages of incidents versus the number of phones in the field, it's SSDD.

That's not to say we're not paying attention to it. That's not to say we haven't been in touch with manufacturers about reports of breakage. (And I can tell you firsthand that Huawei is taking things seriously.) But as far as blog posts go we tend to be pretty conservative with anecdotal evidence versus actual problems backed up by data.

And that "every other Android site is reporting it" thing doesn't fly here. :p

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Those nibs weren't to prevent the issue you mentioned. They were added to make it easier to lift the phone off of a completely flat surface.

Gorilla Glass is an aluminosilicate glass. It has a very high resistance to thermal shock. So it's not going to crack or shatter just by setting it on a cold counter top.

Even if was just plain old soda-lime glass, the temperature difference would most likely not fall in the range of failure of thermal shock. Skin temp of most phones and tablets maxes at around 113F, and a rapid change in temp of about 99F is where failure would be, so unless your counter top is literally freezing even that wouldn't happen. If we get a bit more realistic and assume that a counter top isn't going to get that cold, and say, it's around 50-60 degrees than the temp the phone would have to reach to make up the difference is beyond the realm of possibility.

Odds are those people damaged the phone and may not have realized that they did. Then when they noticed it they went "wait, I didn't drop this or anything like that" when in fact it might have happened at an earlier point in time.

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Those nibs weren't to prevent the issue you mentioned. They were added to make it easier to lift the phone off of a completely flat surface.

Gorilla Glass is an aluminosilicate glass. It has a very high resistance to thermal shock. So it's not going to crack or shatter just by setting it on a cold counter top.

Even if was just plain old soda-lime glass, the temperature difference would most likely not fall in the range of failure of thermal shock. Skin temp of most phones and tablets maxes at around 113F, and a rapid change in temp of about 99F is where failure would be, so unless your counter top is literally freezing even that wouldn't happen. If we get a bit more realistic and assume that a counter top isn't going to get that cold, and say, it's around 50-60 degrees than the temp the phone would have to reach to make up the difference is beyond the realm of possibility.

Odds are those people damaged the phone and may not have realized that they did. Then when they noticed it they went "wait, I didn't drop this or anything like that" when in fact it might have happened at an earlier point in time.

Now THAT is a good explanation.

Didnt realize just how much temp swing is required for something to shatter like that. I have a case on mine so the cold surface thing shouldnt be an issue for me but it does get cold up here in the Northeast so that was my bigger worry (and is now totally debunked, thanks!)

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site

I owned the original N4 without those little nibs and the phone was fine for a year with me. Am I just really lucky? I doubted. And like someone said, they were for getting the phone of a flat surface because the thing would slide right down a table if it vibrated or rang...Lol. So therefore that thing while really beautiful never came out of the case.

I like what Phil said, that they don't fall prey to the...We have to report what everyone is saying thing. I was a member of another Forum for a real long time and they would report just about anything. Unless this gets really widespread I'd say it's nothing to really steer someone away from the 6p.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
At my count there's actually significantly more people actively trying to start a big fire over this than there are people reporting it happened to them.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
it's glass... drop the phone on its back even 6" away onto a marble countertop... it's going to crack. people just aren't being careful, probably getting hairline fractures etc before the final "shatter."

glass spontaneously shattering isn't unheard of - i.e., sunroofs on cars, etc. but very rare and unlikely to be the case here.

anon(25362)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious, is the visor glass gorilla glass or no?

I thought I read previously that it was gorilla glass? Maybe when the nexus team did the AMA reddit? I wasn't concerned really because that visor is so small I assumed it wouldn't be an issue for potential cracks - but mine did and wasn't mishandled or dropped. But that said I'm going to get it replaced - Im guessing from the amount of phones out there vs the amount of real complaints its a freak/rare case. I'm no alarmist every other thing about the phone is great. I perused some of the complaints on the front page and have no issue with any of them: Battery Life is great, The screen looks perfect to me - no yellow hue or anything, headphone/earphone volume is perfect, the dual speakers are outstanding, fingerprint reader is lighting quick with no misreads, build quality is epic/strong with no rattles or loose buttons, bluetooth has always worked as expected in car and with bt headphones, the device is snappy as heck - no lag anywhere - love stock android - none of that touchwiz slow down, no bugs or restarts, camera is great.. I love the thing and expect when I get a replacement for the cracked visor it will be all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet