Google Nexus 6P Like the concept, but it is too darn big

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Love the Nexus concept, I just wish this was a 4.7" to 5.1" phone, which is the perfect size. My HTC M7 was perfect for me, fit in my hand, fit in a pocket, fit on the belt in a case, just not too big. Make it in the 4.7-5.1 inch range and I'd get two.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Like the concept, but it is too darn big

I think that's one reason why Google went with LG who made the 5.2" 5X.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

I think it's perfect but I'm a big guy with big hands

Posted via the Android Central App

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I think that's one reason why Google went with LG who made the 5.2" 5X.

No. They went with LG for a cheaper option, not as an equal but smaller option. If we want larger than a 32gb for our Nexus, we don't have a choice this year.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I went from the 5X thinking the 6P was too large. I now own the 6P and couldn't be happier. 👌

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

It is too big for some people, but it is a phablet after all. Not every single person is going to want a phablet. On the other hand as far as phablets go this is very well designed ergonomically and sits very nicely in hand. I came from a 5" Xperia which are also known for their large bezels and find that the 6p just as comfortable to hold as the smaller phone. Where some people will have an issue with compared to a 5" phone is how big it is in pockets. I could (although try not to unless I have to) back-pocket my last phone. This one I most certainly won't take a chance on doing that. I can see portability being a problem for me when I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt but I really did need a phablet this year because my eyes were starting to get strained on my last phone after 5 minutes or more of use. It was getting so bad that when I stopped my vision was blurry and took about 5 minutes to return to normal. I know I need reading glasses soon but this has prolonged that inevitability.

krc333

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Love the Nexus concept, I just wish this was a 4.7" to 5.1" phone, which is the perfect size. My HTC M7 was perfect for me, fit in my hand, fit in a pocket, fit on the belt in a case, just not too big. Make it in the 4.7-5.1 inch range and I'd get two.

I’m struggling with the same issue, I knew how big it was but I don’t think I realized how much different it would feel in my hand versus the Nexus 5. I’ve had the phone for two days and I’ve yet to activate it because my case hasn’t arrived yet. I’m sure it will just take some time to get used to. I think I’m also a bit more paranoid because it’s so much nicer than the N5 I’ve been carrying the last couple of years.

Honestly I wished they would have made the exact phone in the N5X size. I would have happily paid $500 for that. The N5X is the perfect size, but I didn’t feel it was enough of an upgrade (outside of the Nexus Imprint and Camera) to really justify going to that phone.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

I’m struggling with the same issue, I knew how big it was but I don’t think I realized how much different it would feel in my hand versus the Nexus 5. I’ve had the phone for two days and I’ve yet to activate it because my case hasn’t arrived yet. I’m sure it will just take some time to get used to. I think I’m also a bit more paranoid because it’s so much nicer than the N5 I’ve been carrying the last couple of years.

Honestly I wished they would have made the exact phone in the N5X size. I would have happily paid $500 for that. The N5X is the perfect size, but I didn’t feel it was enough of an upgrade (outside of the Nexus Imprint and Camera) to really justify going to that phone.
Same. I'm using the 6P because of a lot of other things with this phone that I wanted. However, it's probably a little big for me. We'll see in a month or so though. When I first got my Galaxy S5, I thought that thing was too big.

I don't like that the 5X is a completely different phone and would've preferred the same phone in two sizes (make the 5X just a bit cheaper based on using less materials).

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

I thought too big also. I own a graphite 128GB 6p......
I wanted a high end phone with an unlocked bootloader. It was the Moto X Pure or the 6P.
X Pure didn't have the fingerprint sensor or construction I liked.
If the X Pure had a carbon fiber or kevlar back I would have bought it.

Anyway, I have big hands and opted for the 6P.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

I always thought that any phone bigger than 5.2" was just ludicrously big. In the past when I'd see phones that size in the store I'd think they looked ridiculous. I was all gung-ho for getting the 5X, but the 6P seduced me in the end. My biggest fear is that it would feel huge, look ridiculous, and just overall be unwieldy and awkward.

Five seconds after taking it out of the box, my hands molded to it and I couldn't imagine how I ever used a smaller phone. My HTC One M8 next to it looked like a toy. I was almost embarrassed to even look at it and imagine that I'd been using it for the last year and a half. The 6P doesn't feel oversized anymore. It's no baby duckling, but it's luxurious, spacious, and feels good. I can pick it up and it feels natural. I do notice that reaching certain areas of the screen with certain grips require some maneuvering, but seeing that huge screen is just awesome.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

about 2 years ago i was against phablet. I liked phablet when nexus 6 was released but Nexus 6 was against usability but Nexus 6p is better and l like it a lot and i have only been using it for less than 24 hrs

krc333

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I always thought that any phone bigger than 5.2" was just ludicrously big. Like I'd see it in the store and think it looked ridiculous. I was all gun-ho for getting the 5X, but the 6P seduced me in the end. My biggest fear is that it would feel big or look ridiculous and just overall be unweildly and awkward.

5 seconds after taking it out of the box, my hands molded to it and I couldn't imagine how I ever used a smaller phone. My HTC One M8 next to it looked like a ridiculous toy. I was almost embarrassed to even look at it and imagine that I'd been using it for the last year and a half. It doesn't feel or look big at all to me anymore. I just pick it up and it feels natural. I do notice that reaching certain areas of the screen with certain grips require some maneuvering, but seeing that huge screen is just awesome.

I’m the complete opposite, the moment I picked it up it felt awkward. With that said I’ve never had a phone bigger that 5”. I’ve had it slip out of my hand a couple of times while just sitting on my couch, which is why I haven’t been willing to use it as my daily driver until my case comes. (should be tonight) I think the biggest problem is that I’m trying to handle it like my N5 and that’s just not going to work. I’m going to give it a solid month and hope I get more comfortable with it because I really don’t want to deal with selling it and downgrading to the 5X.

I wished they would have copied Apple and just made the exact same phone in two different sizes.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

I’m the complete opposite, the moment I picked it up it felt awkward. With that said I’ve never had a phone bigger that 5”. I’ve had it slip out of my hand a couple of times while just sitting on my couch, which is why I haven’t been willing to use it as my daily driver until my case comes. (should be tonight) I think the biggest problem is that I’m trying to handle it like my N5 and that’s just not going to work. I’m going to give it a solid month and hope I get more comfortable with it because I really don’t want to deal with selling it and downgrading to the 5X.

I wished they would have copied Apple and just made the exact same phone in two different sizes.

I was showing it to my family and they were all fumbling around trying to hold it and said that it felt like it was going to fall and they couldn't reach anything. I then pointed out that they were holding it like they'd hold their iphone (or whatever small phone they had, where their hand placement puts their thumb near the bottom of the phone and it can only reach the bottom half of the screen) and showed them the grip I use (thumb placed on the side, movable and able to navigate screen, index finger on back, middle and ring finger wrapped around to the other side), and once they did that they were like, "oh, this makes way more sense, yeah this feels fine now".

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I was the same way 2 years ago or so. Coming from the N5 to the N6, I was wary of the big screen. Now if it's smaller than 5.7" no thanks! I can't go back to small screens. Everything just looks ridiculously small now.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

The main reason I went with the 6p was the better specs, if they'd made the 5X identical, just smaller, I'd have gone with that. Though I am loving the 6p thus far, if I hold it for awhile, my hand does hurt! And that's not likely to improve with a case on it. Fortunately, I'm rarely on a phone that long, so I think I can make it work. I'm hoping speakerphone might also be an option. But a little bit smaller would have made a world of difference for comfort. It also would've been a better fit for the phone pocket in my daily carry bag.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree it's too bad there aren't more high end smaller phones, but at this point it kind of just is what it is: deal with a bigger device or compromise on specs. Nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

My first smartphone was a Nexus 5, purchased in October 2014 and I think it is still one of the best phones around. I have relatively small hands and the N5 is the perfect phone. I wasn't a big fan of all the phablets on the market because I thought they were "overkill" for a phone, especially the Nexus 6 . Two of my nephews own the N6 and my main gripe with the phone is its width. I wasn't going to purchase a phone with a screen larger than 5.2 inches, but after seeing the side by side pictures of the N6 & N6P, I decided to give the N6P a try. When the phone arrived on 11/02, I was pleasantly surprised that though longer than the N5, the N6P is only a fraction wider. It fits in my hand well. I could have gone with the N5X, but the stellar reviews and specs of the N6P swayed me to spend the extra money. I will keep my trusty N5 as a spare, but I am happy I acquired a Nexus 6P. No buyer's remorse.

BTW, one of my nephews has replaced his N6 with an N6P. The N6 is going to his girlfriend. Another nephew has replaced his iPhone 6S with a Nexus 5X. He hasn't seen my N6P yet, but when he does, he might switch to the N6P himself.

Last edited:

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

I've just about got used to it now although it felt massive at first. My mate has the N6 but next to this that looks and feels horrible.