Camera Flash -- Is it NOT an LED flash light !?

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. Has anyone noticed that the light used for the flash on the 6P's camera or for use even in lighting the way while walking/working in the dark ... is a very dull/yellow/brown'ish light??

What do you guys think? Also; is this not bad for photos?

I have a iPhone 6 as well and the flash on that is a BRIGHT, almost WHITE-color flash.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the flash doesn't come to full brightness when in flashlight mode. Try a third party flashlight app to get it brighter.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I would say that it does have a yellow tint to it. Plenty bright enough though. Can't really speak to how it would affect photos, haven't taken a picture where I needed the flash yet =/

Posted via the Android Central App

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The 6P uses a dual tone flash, which uses two LED's (one warmer than the other) to create a large variety of color temperatures in order to improve white balance and skin tones across a wide variety of scenes. This is the same basic technology the iPhones use, and it's good for photos. The 6P lights up both when you enable the flashlight, so you end up with a very bright, albeit warmer, flashlight. I'm guessing a third party app can also change this.

Further, as long as the camera knows what color temperature the flashes are producing (which it does) it can accurately set the white balance for the photo. Flash photos will have a mixture of artificial (flash) and ambient light though, so unless you totally overpower the scene with the flash, there will still be multiple light sources in the image, which makes it difficult for any camera to nail the white balance of a dim scene with flash, and still look good. The dual tone flash helps mitigate difficult lighting situations.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if my reply came across as harsh i just wanted to see if there was specification documentation that detailed the Nexus 6P had this type of dual LED, I understand the color rendering index and its capabilities in photography as well as its function/intended purpose in a phone camera application.. just wanted to see if Nexus 6P did indeed have this feature, and if there was a spec. sheet or documentation about this specifically to Nexus 6P.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Source that the 6 P actually has this/uses this functionality

Just look at his username... It's Go0gle or maybe I misspelled it. But really Google is the source of all knowledge. ☺☺ I kid, I kid.

I think my ambien just kicked in and I'm a little giddy.

Posted via the Android Central App

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if my reply came across as harsh i just wanted to see if there was specification documentation that detailed the Nexus 6P had this type of dual LED, I understand the color rendering index and its capabilities in photography as well as its function/intended purpose in a phone camera application.. just wanted to see if Nexus 6P did indeed have this feature, and if there was a spec. sheet or documentation about this specifically to Nexus 6P.

Broad-spectrum CRI-90 dual flash

Source. Click see all features and specs.