Screen Overlay Detected - To Change This Permission......6P is messed up

Traumatick

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi could you please tell me how to get back to the screen overlay settings? I can't find it after disabling all of them now I would like to re enable and I can't find the setting thanks

laine leitavniece

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone got this error message? I'm trying to share a photo via facebook and whether from my gallery app or from facebook. It asks if I want to give FB access to my storage. I say yes. It says "Screen overlay detected- To change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps"

I do that but nothing works. Whether it says NO by FB's Screen Overlay allowed, or YES - it still just directs me in this endless loops. Have tried reboots and nothing. Anybody else experiencing anything similar?

I had exactly the same problem I tried to uninstall clean master and Facebook then restarting phone. So I would recommend to uninstall some apps that may be causing a problem. P.s I reinstalled Facebook app and clean master and it didn't cause any further problems it let me change screen overlay and now my phone is working perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barryib

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
This is very simple all you have to know is how that management policy works.
Like it says, the **app permission** manager controls whether an app can be allowed to access system or other apps' resource.
And the **Draw over other apps** manager permits an app to show its notifications or other info over other apps while these are running too, e.g FB to stop music to let its notifications be heard.
To customize this (we're on Android 6 of course) go to settings >apps>then hit the gear on the upper right corner of the screen > choose **app permission ** or **draw over other apps **> locate the concerned app> turn the buttons on/off accordingly.

Hope it helps!!!!

Evelienn

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm on a Samsung Note 5 and i have the same Screen Overlay issue - just a loop and nothing fixes it. Doesn't anyone know how to fix this? Nothing listed above has worked....I've tried everything applicable to me and my phone.

I have the One Plus 3 and I have a setting which allows me to run dark mode on my Phone (means that when I open my settings the background is dark instead of white). By turning this off, the error message for screen overlay detected seems to be gone.

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Screen Overlay Detected - To Change This Permission.

Go to General settings, then Apps, then (pull extra tab down), then Configure Apps, then App Permissions, then Storage, now you can grant permission to the app that you wish to have access to the storage/SD card.
At this point, reboot your phone and verified that the permission still ok. Go to Settings, general, apps, (find the app you just granted permission), click on it, check the descriptions ( on the permission part, it should say storage). If so then you are good to go!...If not then try again. Good luck!

Last edited:

bmichaelpro

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have an LG Stylo and just recently started having this problem..
Solution: When you go or are directed to turn off the permission to "write over apps" u need to (1)select "show system apps" (2) find the system app "pen settings" and (3) turn off..for my phone I only need to turn off this app and all apps work without anymore annoying issues. Also if you use the stylus often u may not want to close the "write over Apps" window (I have mine open now) as I have yet to find this option or a way to access the "write over Apps"option in the settings menu! I have to wait an App to direct me to the menu.. it is a huge pain in the App. If anyone can tell me how to restore my phone to working the way it was a week ago I would appreciate it. Thanks B.

forcedupdatesfun

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have an LG Stylo and just recently started having this problem..
Solution: When you go or are directed to turn off the permission to "write over apps" u need to (1)select "show system apps" (2) find the system app "pen settings" and (3) turn off..for my phone I only need to turn off this app and all apps work without anymore annoying issues. Also if you use the stylus often u may not want to close the "write over Apps" window (I have mine open now) as I have yet to find this option or a way to access the "write over Apps"option in the settings menu! I have to wait an App to direct me to the menu.. it is a huge pain in the App. If anyone can tell me how to restore my phone to working the way it was a week ago I would appreciate it. Thanks B.

nothing personal folks, because u all seem like u want to help...have same screen overlay issue on Note 4 after update...everything i have read is actually more frustrating than than the issue cuz i have no clue what any of the twilights, cm, or other stuff even is is...ive turned all apps on, off, some on , some off, restarted, etc...nothing!...can anyone help me avoid a trip in the middle of a hurricane?

Maj73

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone got this error message? I'm trying to share a photo via facebook and whether from my gallery app or from facebook. It asks if I want to give FB access to my storage. I say yes. It says "Screen overlay detected- To change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps"

I do that but nothing works. Whether it says NO by FB's Screen Overlay allowed, or YES - it still just directs me in this endless loops. Have tried reboots and nothing. Anybody else experiencing anything similar?

I'm at my wits end with same problem ������. Could really do with it going away. I've tried everything and do a lot of work on my phone so could really do with this problem going away!!!!

SJW4

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Well done I owe you a Pizza!! very simple fix.

I've messed about for ages on this uninstalling stuff, wrecking my app settings rebooted loads of times. never heard of the file app everyone else is deleting...

But this is the perfect fix! make sure screen rotation is turned on, then when an app asks you for permissions simply turn the phone on its side (landscape) and you're able to answer any of the things it wants. Keep it in landscape till after you've finished setting the permissions switches and ....you're done.

you can turn it the right way up now.

try this before going too drastic on deleting everything. Mr. Pizza is a genius,

its an annoying fix... make sure rotation is switched on, then when it asks you for 'permission to get to storage...' or whatever its asking, simply turn the phone on its side and do all the stuff it asks.

there.....job done. marvellous

Michelle S2

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I just wanted to let everyone know, that FACTORY DATA RESET does NOT WORK to fix this problem, so please DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME trying a FACTORY DATA RESET. I did that, before I found this helpful info on how to correctly fix this problem. (Luckily, for me the FACTORY DATA RESET wasn't a complete waste of my time, BUT ONLY BECAUSE it fixed another problem I was having, but it DID NOTHING to fix the "SCREEN OVERLAY/PERMISSIONS" issue.)
Also, I just want to say, "THANK YOU," to those of YOU WHO SHARED THAT YOU WERE HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM and also to those of YOU WHOM PROVIDED THE CORRECT, USEFUL INFORMATION FOR RESOLVING IT. Additionally, I want to EXPRESS MY GRATITUDE TO ALL OF YOU WHOM HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS WEBSITE. It has been of ASSISTANCE TO ME and MY FAMILY MANY, MANY TIMES.

JazzmanWA

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Same here. I've turned off every app that has screen overlay and still get this stupid pop up message!:'(

Well, that worked for me on one thing. Doesn't really solve the root problem though.

nkkabra

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I've turned off every app that has screen overlay and still get this stupid pop up message!:'(

I too had similar problem.Have been using Mashmallow. The solution is as under.

Press POWER OFF button.Now in the popup window press "power off" for 2-3 seconds.This will Reboot the phone in SAFE MODE. After the phone restarts go to settings-Apps- and open the particular app which is showing Screen Overlay Error. Press Permissions and give the requisite permissions.

Now reboot normally. Your problem is solved.