Camera double press shortcut

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone else have the problem of having the camera app crash when holding the camera in landscape mode and you press the power button twice the app crashes?

Posted via the Android Central App

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Happens to me 90% of the time. Got to a point where I just use the camera icon from now on. Also, when the camera did launch it would send me to the lock screen when I closed the camera after launching it with the button.

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Happens to me 90% of the time. Got to a point where I just use the camera icon from now on. Also, when the camera did launch it would send me to the lock screen when I closed the camera after launching it with the button.

Yep me too...glad it's not just my device! I kinda sucks that you dish out hundreds of dollars for a phone and there are issues such as this.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yep me too...glad it's not just my device! I kinda sucks that you dish out hundreds of dollars for a phone and there are issues such as this.

Hmm doesn't crash my camera app. The lock screen thing isn't an issue really. It all depends on your security settings, if you have it lock immediately of course hitting the power button would bring to the lock screen after your done with the camera, that's what the settings are telling it to do.....

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Mines works how I have it setup to work. If on unlocked screen I just tap camera icon....if locked screen, double push power button twice QUICKLY. It works that way in portrait or landscape for me

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I've done that a couple dozen times and (knock on wood) so far no crashes. I wonder if there's some pattern as far as who it crashes on vs who it doesn't? Do you have any camera-altering apps installed? Alternate launchers?

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I've done that a couple dozen times and (knock on wood) so far no crashes. I wonder if there's some pattern as far as who it crashes on vs who it doesn't? Do you have any camera-altering apps installed? Alternate launchers?
Happened right out of the box. No camera apps installed.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Go to Settings -> Security -> turn off Power Button Instantly Locks. That will allow you to do the camera shortcut without locking the phone. (If the phone is already locked when you launch the shortcut, you will have to go back to the lockscreen to do anything besides take a picture).

By the way, I haven't had any camera app crashes when using the shortcut.

TommyZ23

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Security -> turn off Power Button Instantly Locks. That will allow you to do the camera shortcut without locking the phone. (If the phone is already locked when you launch the shortcut, you will have to go back to the lockscreen to do anything besides take a picture).

By the way, I haven't had any camera app crashes when using the shortcut.

But, this turns off a nice security feature of locking the phone when I press the power button. Google needs to fix the issue so we don't have to use this work-a-round.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't use my camera very much but I have played around with the double tap to launch the camera app a quite a bit and I have never once had it crashed on me.

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. It cleared up an issue I was having with the double press power button to launch camera. I have the power button now set to lock the phone after 5 seconds of sleep instead of instant lock. Not really a security risk since someone would have only 5 seconds to get in. Button works consistently well now

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
What's interesting is that I now have 2 default camera apps. I had set Manual Camera as my default camera but apparently something about the app won't let it launch from sleep. When I double pressed I had to choose Camera as my new default. Now if I double press to launch from awake I get Manual Camera. If I double press from sleep I get Camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781