6P Died Suddenly; not able to revive

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Thought it worth reporting on my phone conversation with Google today. I was anticipating a bit of a dust up, fearing they would think a few nicks and scratches were not a big deal, but I could not have been more wrong. They were extremely apologetic and accommodating. They processed the RMA exchange quickly, "escalated" the issue without me asking (stating that it was completely unacceptable that I received a unit with fingerprints on it, much less scratches and nicks), and even offered 1-day shipping for my trouble. He assured me a brand new phone, not a return. I can't fault the customer service in this instance. We'll see if it carries through. I really want my baby back. It's been more than 2 weeks now, and I'm missing my 6P something terrible (though, I do have to admit that while this has all been going on, Verizon pushed another OS update to my G2 and it's now working better than it has in MONTHS - bastards). ;)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thought it worth reporting on my phone conversation with Google today. I was anticipating a bit of a dust up, fearing they would think a few nicks and scratches were not a big deal, but I could not have been more wrong. They were extremely apologetic and accommodating. They processed the RMA exchange quickly, "escalated" the issue without me asking (stating that it was completely unacceptable that I received a unit with fingerprints on it, much less scratches and nicks), and even offered 1-day shipping for my trouble. He assured me a brand new phone, not a return. I can't fault the customer service in this instance. We'll see if it carries through. I really want my baby back. It's been more than 2 weeks now, and I'm missing my 6P something terrible (though, I do have to admit that while this has all been going on, Verizon pushed another OS update to my G2 and it's now working better than it has in MONTHS - bastards). ;)

At least that's some good news. Your story though is what would make me nervous about switching back to Android. I love just being able to go into an Apple Store and get my phone exchanged if needed. None of this BS.

krabby

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had a phone crap out in years, I think maybe every three or four years I have a phone die? I have to admit that day I walk into an Apple store and walk out with a new phone would be a good day but I would hate the phone. I cant imagine that one day being worth the thousand days with a phone I hated before the next one day came along.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
At least that's some good news. Your story though is what would make me nervous about switching back to Android. I love just being able to go into an Apple Store and get my phone exchanged if needed. None of this BS.

That is a definite plus, being able to walk into a store and get an exchange. If the turnaround for Google turns into a week, I'd be happy with that if needed. A store would be great. Unfortunately there aren't that many Apple stores either.

Posted via the Android Central App

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
That is a definite plus, being able to walk into a store and get an exchange. If the turnaround for Google turns into a week, I'd be happy with that if needed. A store would be great. Unfortunately there aren't that many Apple stores either.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's true I just happen to be blessed with one in my mall.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's too late to ask this, but I am curious...

Did the replacement phone come in the usual Nexus 6P packaging? If so, does the phone's IMEI number match the one on the box's printed label?

Is there an IMEI number on the packing list or any other packaging? Does it match the phone's IMEI?

I've never heard of Google sending out used phones, especially this early in the cycle (when there are presumably few recycled phones to work with. So I'm wondering if some wise guy working in the warehouse swapped his used 6P for the new one that was being shipped to you...

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's too late to ask this, but I am curious...

Did the replacement phone come in the usual Nexus 6P packaging? If so, does the phone's IMEI number match the one on the box's printed label?

Is there an IMEI number on the packing list or any other packaging? Does it match the phone's IMEI?

I've never heard of Google sending out used phones, especially this early in the cycle (when there are presumably few recycled phones to work with. So I'm wondering if some wise guy working in the warehouse swapped his used 6P for the new one that was being shipped to you...

Well, I know from a few threads here on AC that there were a lot of people who received the phone and then sent it back for one reason or another, and just assumed that Google was sending these phones back out. All I know for certain is that mine had been used. The finger prints were disgusting; sticky and difficult to remove; and the nicks and scratches especially around the USB port and Sim tray led me to deduce that someone had been using it and had not been any too careful plugging in the charging cable and/or removing/installing Sim cards. There were scratches in other places on the edge of the phone, but there were 2 or three near each of these specific locations.

Oh, and yes, the packaging was identical to the original and made the package appear unopened when I received it. Also, IMEI on the package matched that on the phone itself. But the paper packaging with the detailed unit information is clearly a blank printed template onto which they print the phone's specifications, so it would be a simple enough matter to print a new label for the device and repackage it after a return.

As for the Apple store, while it might seem be more convenient to be able to walk into a local store and have a defective device switched out, my experience with my iPhone a few years ago does not leave me all that positive about the experience. I had problems with my iPhone for 18 months, and visited Apple stores on several occasions without a resolution, before they finally agreed to swap it out for a new (refurbished) phone; and I suspect that was only because the next Gen iPhone had been released by that point and they were trying to unload my model. I'm not an iPhone or Apple "basher", and I even recommend them to people who aren't concerned with customization and prefer basic functionality, but I know iPhones are not for me, and I personally didn't find the Apple store experience any less frustrating than sending the defective unit back.

Last edited:

Badmikiev

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been in good favor, that I have had no issues with my Nexus 6P for the last year. Until last night. My alarm did not chime so when I looked why. It didn't have enough power to even turn on. So I charged it for a couple hours, and it is all better now. But, can I trust it to wake me tomorrow?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been in good favor, that I have had no issues with my Nexus 6P for the last year. Until last night. My alarm did not chime so when I looked why. It didn't have enough power to even turn on. So I charged it for a couple hours, and it is all better now. But, can I trust it to wake me tomorrow?

Plug it in when you go to bed.