02-14-2017 07:43 PM
30 12
tools
    So, I have been unusually fortunate in all my experiences with my 6P, from ordering on ... until this morning. I charged it over night, woke up this morning and used it a bit with no hint of an issue. I set it on a side table while I went about several things this morning. When I picked it up about 40 minutes later, I noticed it was off and completely non-responsive. I tried starting it as usual, using the power button, to no avail. I tried plugging it in to the OEM power cable, also to no avail. I plugged it into my computer using the OEM USB cable; still nothing. Nothing I did would elicit any response from the phone at all. I checked online, and tried power button plus down volume technique. Nothing.

Called Google, and they had me do all the same things again, still to no avail. The only solution they could offer was an RMA. Unfortunately, it will not ship for 3-5 days, and the will not send it via overnight mail (even though I paid for overnight with my original order), and I leave for vacation out of the country this coming Thursday. On top of that, my office - where I send all expensive packages - is moving while I am away. Could not have happened at a worse time!

Extremely frustrated! I have been absolutely LOVING this phone, but am very concerned about this sudden and untimely demise. So, this is part venting, party warning, and part asking if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

And I now understand the frustration expressed by the folks in the "I've ordered my phone" thread about dealing with Google CR: all he could do was read from a script and, though he offered to answer questions, if the answer was not part of the script, he did not seem to have an answer. Supervisor was no help, either.

Grrrrrr!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled day.
    11-16-2015 12:10 PM
    Ugh, sorry to hear about that! I assume you also tried pressing and holding Power for a good 20-30 seconds, right?
    AnnDroid likes this.
    11-16-2015 12:29 PM
    While you're waiting, keep it connected to the OEM charger on AC for up to 24 hours. Most likely you have a defective battery, but it could be that something got messed up in how it reads battery level and it ran out of juice - when that happens it can take a little bit to get everything back to sorted. Once it's been on for several hours (up to 24) try holding the power button down for approx 10 seconds, and otherwise the techniques you already tried are the basics.
    B. Diddy and anon(8662820) like this.
    11-16-2015 12:32 PM
    Ugh, sorry to hear about that! I assume you also tried pressing and holding Power for a good 20-30 seconds, right?
    Yeah, did that right off the bat; tried varying lengths of time up to almost a minute; same with the power button and down volume.

While you're waiting, keep it connected to the OEM charger on AC for up to 24 hours. Most likely you have a defective battery, but it could be that something got messed up in how it reads battery level and it ran out of juice - when that happens it can take a little bit to get everything back to sorted. Once it's been on for several hours (up to 24) try holding the power button down for approx 10 seconds, and otherwise the techniques you already tried are the basics.
    Thanks, I will give that a try, as well.
    11-16-2015 01:01 PM
    I vaguely recall similar problems reported with Nexus 5 (or was it Nexus 4?) and the solution was to hold the power button firmly while plugging in the charger cable.

That is, plug charger into wall, hold power button on phone, then plug charger cable into phone.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-16-2015 01:02 PM
    I vaguely recall similar problems reported with Nexus 5 (or was it Nexus 4?) and the solution was to hold the power button firmly while plugging in the charger cable.

That is, plug charger into wall, hold power button on phone, then plug charger cable into phone.
    Thanks. I will try that when I get home, as well. Can't hurt.
    11-16-2015 02:12 PM
    So, I have been unusually fortunate in all my experiences with my 6P, from ordering on ... until this morning. I charged it over night, woke up this morning and used it a bit with no hint of an issue. I set it on a side table while I went about several things this morning. When I picked it up about 40 minutes later, I noticed it was off and completely non-responsive. I tried starting it as usual, using the power button, to no avail. I tried plugging it in to the OEM power cable, also to no avail. I plugged it into my computer using the OEM USB cable; still nothing. Nothing I did would elicit any response from the phone at all. I checked online, and tried power button plus down volume technique. Nothing.

Called Google, and they had me do all the same things again, still to no avail. The only solution they could offer was an RMA. Unfortunately, it will not ship for 3-5 days, and the will not send it via overnight mail (even though I paid for overnight with my original order), and I leave for vacation out of the country this coming Thursday. On top of that, my office - where I send all expensive packages - is moving while I am away. Could not have happened at a worse time!

Extremely frustrated! I have been absolutely LOVING this phone, but am very concerned about this sudden and untimely demise. So, this is part venting, party warning, and part asking if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

And I now understand the frustration expressed by the folks in the "I've ordered my phone" thread about dealing with Google CR: all he could do was read from a script and, though he offered to answer questions, if the answer was not part of the script, he did not seem to have an answer. Supervisor was no help, either.

Grrrrrr!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled day.
    I went through a very similar issue. Phone died inexplicably. Troubleshot with Google, no luck. Tried RMAing and had several issues getting this done. The new phone was supposed to ARRIVE on Nov 12, and didn't ship until the 13th (and subsequently several concerned phone calls from me) which due to the weekend, puts the phone arriving today. (I paid for overnight shipping on my RMA). So today, on 11/16 my tracking shows the new phone out for delivery. Considering I needed a new phone without having to hijack my 13 yr old daughters phone for almost 2 weeks I bought the iPhone 6s plus on their upgrade program in the mean time, and I kind of like it. Originally intended to try it out and keep the lesser of the two evils since the Nexus crapped out on me. At least with apple I know I can walk into a store with an issue and walk out with a new device on warranty...
    11-16-2015 04:32 PM
    I went through a very similar issue. Phone died inexplicably. Troubleshot with Google, no luck. Tried RMAing and had several issues getting this done. The new phone was supposed to ARRIVE on Nov 12, and didn't ship until the 13th (and subsequently several concerned phone calls from me) which due to the weekend, puts the phone arriving today. (I paid for overnight shipping on my RMA). So today, on 11/16 my tracking shows the new phone out for delivery. Considering I needed a new phone without having to hijack my 13 yr old daughters phone for almost 2 weeks I bought the iPhone 6s plus on their upgrade program in the mean time, and I kind of like it. Originally intended to try it out and keep the lesser of the two evils since the Nexus crapped out on me. At least with apple I know I can walk into a store with an issue and walk out with a new device on warranty...
    And soooo... My new phone was delivered about 15 minutes ago. Decided that I was going to get the other phone boxed and ready to go before unboxing the new one just to be sure that I didn't forget and get the charge held on my CC. I noticed that the notification light came on when I pressed the power button and to my surprise, the phone booted when I threw it on the charger. It seems that you have to wait for the battery to die completely. This indicates to me that the issue is software related and hopefully Google will issue a fix sooner than later. Just thought I would share my experience and hopefully it helps. I'm keeping the new phone and sending the old one back anyway though, just in case there is an issue with that batch of devices.
    11-16-2015 05:26 PM
    My niece had a similar thing happen on her Droid Mini. The tech at Motorola had me hold the power and volume down button for 2-3 minutes, and it booted into recovery mode. The tech then had me clear the cache and after that it was fine. The only issue during that was the battery was almost dead, so I had to charge it and repeat the procedure before I was able to clear the cache. So before you try this, I'd suggest putting the phone of the charger for an hour to make sure it has enough juice to do this. Hope it works.
    11-16-2015 05:31 PM
    Bummer. I see you already tried holding the power button down until it restarted.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!
    11-16-2015 05:42 PM
    Have you tried holding it under a bright light, like a lamp, and holding the power button?

Edit: specifically positioning the proximity sensor under a bright light.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-16-2015 09:58 PM
    Have you tried holding it under a bright light, like a lamp, and holding the power button?

Edit: specifically positioning the proximity sensor under a bright light.

I did not try this. Not sure what difference it would make; does the proximity sensor register anything when the phone is off?

In any event, I sent it back today. Hoping for a more robust new unit when I return from vacation. Been back on my G2 for a day now and missing the 6P big time.
    11-17-2015 01:10 PM

Posting this purely for the reference and levity, not actually getting pleasure from your pain!

(Also, when I pulled this up on YouTube on my phone, I got a 6P ad)

TrekkieMonster likes this.
    11-17-2015 01:55 PM
    I did not try this. Not sure what difference it would make; does the proximity sensor register anything when the phone is off?

In any event, I sent it back today. Hoping for a more robust new unit when I return from vacation. Been back on my G2 for a day now and missing the 6P big time.
    I just remember having to do that on my htc one before, that was one of the solutions for that phone, which many people had this similar issue with. I think it had something to do with the proximity sensor/software being out of whack and not allowing the screen to turn on. Its been a while, but that's what I remember about it.

Regardless, its still an issue. Hope it works out.

11-17-2015 02:17 PM

Posting this purely for the reference and levity, not actually getting pleasure from your pain!

(Also, when I pulled this up on YouTube on my phone, I got a 6P ad)

LOL! Great song, and probably a little more "family friendly" than Trekkie's signature song, "The Internet is for Pr0n".
    redhawk24 likes this.
    11-17-2015 03:59 PM
    LOL! Great song, and probably a little more "family friendly" than Trekkie's signature song, "The Internet is for Pr0n".
    More family friendly and more relevant to this thread made it a no-brainer, even tho Trekkie isn't featured.
    TrekkieMonster likes this.
    11-17-2015 04:47 PM
    Why you call him no-brainer? He has, but maybe its just not works? (y) (y) (y)
    11-17-2015 09:25 PM
    Why you call him no-brainer? He has, but maybe its just not works? (y) (y) (y)
    I was calling my song selection a no-brainer...
    11-17-2015 10:27 PM
    So, I returned home from vacation last night, excited to start setting up my replacement 6P. Due to a number of issues mentioned here, the first thing I did was make a close visual inspection of the unit. I noticed the chaferred edges were marred with nasty, sticky-looking fingerprints all around the phone. I didn't think that was a big deal as it was cleanable, but it indicated this was a returned unit; also not a big deal, per se. Then I looked closer and noticed a number of nicks and scratches in the finish of the phone, especially around the USB-C port. I am SO upset! It it were one nick or maybe two, I might have been okay, but I paid a lot of money for this phone, and I take very good care of my devices. It may seem like a small thing, but I've decided that I should not have to accept something that someone else has already banged up when I paid for a new device. So, back it goes again. I'm hoping the third time will be the charm, though I am beginning to have some doubts.
    12-01-2015 06:42 AM
    So, I returned home from vacation last night, excited to start setting up my replacement 6P. Due to a number of issues mentioned here, the first thing I did was make a close visual inspection of the unit. I noticed the chaferred edges were marred with nasty, sticky-looking fingerprints all around the phone. I didn't think that was a big deal as it was cleanable, but it indicated this was a returned unit; also not a big deal, per se. Then I looked closer and noticed a number of nicks and scratches in the finish of the phone, especially around the USB-C port. I am SO upset! It it were one nick or maybe two, I might have been okay, but I paid a lot of money for this phone, and I take very good care of my devices. It may seem like a small thing, but I've decided that I should not have to accept something that someone else has already banged up when I paid for a new device. So, back it goes again. I'm hoping the third time will be the charm, though I am beginning to have some doubts.
    I have to agree with you Trekkie. I also take extremely good care of my devices, after 2+ years of use, my Droid Razr Maxx still looks new. There is no way I would accept a phone that had been abused by someone else, especially given the price and newness of these phones.
    Hope the third one will be right for you.
    12-01-2015 08:07 AM
    Thought it worth reporting on my phone conversation with Google today. I was anticipating a bit of a dust up, fearing they would think a few nicks and scratches were not a big deal, but I could not have been more wrong. They were extremely apologetic and accommodating. They processed the RMA exchange quickly, "escalated" the issue without me asking (stating that it was completely unacceptable that I received a unit with fingerprints on it, much less scratches and nicks), and even offered 1-day shipping for my trouble. He assured me a brand new phone, not a return. I can't fault the customer service in this instance. We'll see if it carries through. I really want my baby back. It's been more than 2 weeks now, and I'm missing my 6P something terrible (though, I do have to admit that while this has all been going on, Verizon pushed another OS update to my G2 and it's now working better than it has in MONTHS - bastards).
    12-01-2015 04:07 PM
    Thought it worth reporting on my phone conversation with Google today. I was anticipating a bit of a dust up, fearing they would think a few nicks and scratches were not a big deal, but I could not have been more wrong. They were extremely apologetic and accommodating. They processed the RMA exchange quickly, "escalated" the issue without me asking (stating that it was completely unacceptable that I received a unit with fingerprints on it, much less scratches and nicks), and even offered 1-day shipping for my trouble. He assured me a brand new phone, not a return. I can't fault the customer service in this instance. We'll see if it carries through. I really want my baby back. It's been more than 2 weeks now, and I'm missing my 6P something terrible (though, I do have to admit that while this has all been going on, Verizon pushed another OS update to my G2 and it's now working better than it has in MONTHS - bastards).
    At least that's some good news. Your story though is what would make me nervous about switching back to Android. I love just being able to go into an Apple Store and get my phone exchanged if needed. None of this BS.
    12-01-2015 07:06 PM
    I haven't had a phone crap out in years, I think maybe every three or four years I have a phone die? I have to admit that day I walk into an Apple store and walk out with a new phone would be a good day but I would hate the phone. I cant imagine that one day being worth the thousand days with a phone I hated before the next one day came along.
    12-01-2015 10:17 PM
    At least that's some good news. Your story though is what would make me nervous about switching back to Android. I love just being able to go into an Apple Store and get my phone exchanged if needed. None of this BS.
    That is a definite plus, being able to walk into a store and get an exchange. If the turnaround for Google turns into a week, I'd be happy with that if needed. A store would be great. Unfortunately there aren't that many Apple stores either.

12-01-2015 10:27 PM
    That is a definite plus, being able to walk into a store and get an exchange. If the turnaround for Google turns into a week, I'd be happy with that if needed. A store would be great. Unfortunately there aren't that many Apple stores either.

That's true I just happen to be blessed with one in my mall.
    12-01-2015 11:11 PM
30 12