Bluetooth issues?

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I'd been playing music for a couple of hours earlier; first on the speaker dock then in the car. After a while the phone kept dropping connection to the car. Started with stutters in the sound then actually disconnected several times.
Restarted the phone and all is fine again but I'm curious, why? And anyone else have this problem? Didn't happen on MM with the N5.

Posted via the Android Central App

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd been playing music for a couple of hours earlier; first on the speaker dock then in the car. After a while the phone kept dropping connection to the car. Started with stutters in the sound then actually disconnected several times.
Restarted the phone and all is fine again but I'm curious, why? And anyone else have this problem? Didn't happen on MM with the N5.

Not much information here... what are you streaming... is this music on your phone, or is it from the cloud like Pandora or Google Music? If it's not on your device, then it could be your data connection and downloads from the cloud.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, not so much streaming as stuff downloaded via the 3 months free play offer.
It is a Bluetooth issue, I've noticed dead spots when I've rotated the phone before and the sound stutters.
This time though it was actively disconnecting from both the dock and then the car.
Hasn't done it since I restarted the phone though.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I had no problem with Bluetooth UNTIL I did a factory reset on my Nexus 6P. Now, streaming music (Google Play Music & Pandora) to my 2014 Chevy Malibu (MyLink in-car system) is consistently choppy ... As in the audio stutters throughout the entire song, not just every few minutes or so. Unlike the OP, the phone does not disconnect from the car.

I had similar issues in this Chevy with a Note 5. No problems with a Moto X 2014 & 2013. So, I'm not quite ready to blame the car itself.

Edit: My car's Bluetooth worked perfectly with an iPhone 5; so, my phone is the problem. RMA, I guess. /edit

I had to factory reset the Nexus 6p for unrelated problems with lagging software: Nova Launcher -- the issue likely caused by a Nova backup that was restored. This was software's fault, not the phone's.

May have to return the Nexus. :(

Last edited:

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar problem today playing through the speaker dock. Kept stuttering (dead sound for fractions of a second) but then I closed all recent apps and it didn't happen again.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar problem today playing through the speaker dock. Kept stuttering (dead sound for fractions of a second) but then I closed all recent apps and it didn't happen again.

I rebooted my phone while driving. That should have accomplished the same thing, right? Didn't work in my case.

pjeverly

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
For ;what it's worth I had the same problem (stuttering music repeatedly). It had worked perfectly for the first couple weeks I had the 6P. I realized it started when I paired a second phone with my cars sound system. I have a 2015 Jeep. I have not the slightest clue as to why this was. Short version, is as soon as I removed the second phone and only linked the 6P everything went back to skip free normalcy. It worked for me anyway. Good luck.

kuykendallc

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced the stuttering, but my phone did start dropping connection to the entune system in my tundra. It worked for over a month and now I cannot keep a solid connection for more than 5 minutes. I have zero issues with any other bluetooth devices (Jaybird x or Ihome bluetooth speaker). I connected my nexus 6 back to my truck last night and it worked perfectly.

Markus Stampfli1

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Same issues here until.. I believe the stuttering is tied with the Doze feature. I had my 6P laying flat and had the same issues. Then discovered that laying the 6P on its side ended the stuttering, and kept the Doze feature to activate.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, Google Support told me to boot up into Safe Mode (long-press the on-screen Shut Off button); then, stream music in my car. Streaming was fine; so, it appeared to be a 3rd party app. Rather than uninstall numerous apps, I did a factory reset.

Streaming music was fine until I re-installed the Gas Buddy app -- as soon as I had that app running, the stuttering music immediately returned.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Just tried that, when I booted back I've lost all my widgets ,default settings etc. Even gone back to Google keyboard..

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just tried that, when I booted back I've lost all my widgets ,default settings etc. Even gone back to Google keyboard..

Right ... that's the point of Safe Mode ... it's pure stock Android without any 3rd party apps interfering. I'm sure you just rebooted normally to get everything back. Just re-read your post ... I don't remember losing any widgets or other customizations when booting up normally.

If you have bluetooth streaming issues, Safe Mode is a good time to try streaming to see if it works well.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
As the AC guys have stated in the last podcast, the nexus 6p utilizes Bluetooth 4.2, which not all Bluetooth devices are able to cooperate properly with that standard yet. So that may be where the biggest issues lie at this time.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Right ... that's the point of Safe Mode ... it's pure stock Android without any 3rd party apps interfering. I'm sure you just rebooted normally to get everything back. Just re-read your post ... I don't remember losing any widgets or other customizations when booting up normally.

If you have bluetooth streaming issues, Safe Mode is a good time to try streaming to see if it works well.

Yep, I had to put back manually. HD widgets and calendar/days until widgets had gone. Even the play music lucky dip thing disappeared. Worst of all the customised ringtones with zedge went and now I can't get notifications to work at all.
Factory reset looming I think

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
As the AC guys have stated in the last podcast, the nexus 6p utilizes Bluetooth 4.2, which not all Bluetooth devices are able to cooperate properly with that standard yet. So that may be where the biggest issues lie at this time.

Should be backwards compatible though, you just lose the extra features

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Should be backwards compatible though, you just lose the extra features

Should be, but from what they said in the podcast it appears it is NOT... sorry. I don't think I've every seen the bluetooth standards be backwards compatible yet... they always change things and break everything.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, removing the Gas Buddy app fixed the problem for me. A 3rd party app may be screwing it up for others.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, removing the Gas Buddy app fixed the problem for me. A 3rd party app may be screwing it up for others.

Gas Buddy app doesn't do anything with bluetooth... or it shouldn't... you can always disable any use of bluetooth when you grant permissions to any app. I use Gas Buddy and have used it for a number of years without a problem.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Gas Buddy app doesn't do anything with bluetooth... or it shouldn't... you can always disable any use of bluetooth when you grant permissions to any app. I use Gas Buddy and have used it for a number of years without a problem.
Perhaps a coincidence. Annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463