Nexus 6p and Marshmallow bug (blacks not black in videos)

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I received my Nexus 6p directly from Huawei yesterday. I love the phone but I noticed immediately when watching videos that the typical Amoled blacks didn't look right. I did a Google search and discovered there's a bug or a hardware failure in some Nexus 6p's that make blacks appear grayish.

Apparently the bug is tied to Marshmallow and is also affected the 5x and cast players. There's quite a big discussion going on about it in xda and official Google Nexus boards. It's extremely frustrating to have blacks look so horrible. I am considering sending the Nexus back but if a fix is coming soon I'd like to keep it. I contacted Google in hopes to discover there was a remedy in the works but I wasn't given encouraging advice. I was told to contact Huawei. I will post pics in a bit of what I am experiencing.

This is my Nexus 6p and a Galaxy s4 on a dead pixel test video. As you can see the video is stopped at the same time with a black screen displayed correctly on the Samsung.
ScoC55V.jpg

Link to the video...if you have an amoled screen the at 1:01 the pixels should shut down and the image should be pitch black. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsLZSnKdWaY
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/kernel-bug-causing-videos-to-appear-t3253555

Last edited:

Civuck

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Some of us actually didn't originally have the black level problem when we first got our phones. It was a subsequent update that broke it. However, it appears to be a very straightforward fix that I expect Google will address quickly. Some customers have already done it themselves.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Some of us actually didn't originally have the black level problem when we first got our phones. It was a subsequent update that broke it. However, it appears to be a very straightforward fix that I expect Google will address quickly. Some customers have already done it themselves.

If it was addressed quickly it would already be fixed. Very annoying.

Civuck

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
"Quickly" is relative. These sorts of bugs will get put into a development sprint cycle. As this is a non security related issue, I suspect Google is trying to collect and address as many launch bugs as possible for the 6P's first major update. At this point I would rather Google take a bit more time and get as many fixes out there in one big service pack update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang