Nexus 6p Set Up Questions

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
After my contract is up with Verizon in February 2016 I plan on getting a Nexus 6p. I plan to stay with Verizon, so I have the following questions:
1. Is Verizon allowing this phone on their network?
2. How do I get my contacts transfered from my old phone to the 6p?
3. How does the voicemail and text message services get set up?

There is probably more questions, but that's it for now.

Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes.
2. Back up/sync your contacts to your Google account and then when you sign in they will automatically sync.
3. Voicemail and Text are automatic; text will go through whatever app you choose (Google Messenger is default) and voicemail will be accessed by calling your voicemail number, although you can set up other services like Verizon's visual voicemail and/or Google Voice instead.

drmrzmom

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Please help this non-techie. Somewhere I read something about a WiFi finder app. Is this included when you set up the phone or do I have to download it from the Playstore? I have a Nexus 6P Project Fi phone. Everything seems to be working fine, but I was wondering if there was a way to optimize the WiFi usage other than what I'm already doing? Do you have any suggestions for me? ***** proof, please....lol

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
After my contract is up with Verizon in February 2016 I plan on getting a Nexus 6p. I plan to stay with Verizon, so I have the following questions:
1. Is Verizon allowing this phone on their network?
2. How do I get my contacts transfered from my old phone to the 6p?
3. How does the voicemail and text message services get set up?

There is probably more questions, but that's it for now.

Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thanks

1. Yes the 6P works very well on Verizon's network... all you have to do is swap your nano SIM into your 6P and it'll just work. Although if you currently don't have a nano SIM in the phone you are using now you will have to get a nano SIM from Verizon which is easy. The trouble is activating that nano SIM in the 6P... since the 6P is not a Verizon phone it won't show up in their system for activation so they usually won't active the SIM with the 6P. Some people have had luck going into a Verizon store and getting it activated... but what I did is get a nano-to-micro SIM adapter from amazon and then I called Verizon and had them activate the nano SIM in my currently phone using the adapter. Once the nano SIM is activated simply put it into the 6P and it'll work.

2. Make sure your contacts are stored to your google account and they'll simply be restored to the 6P when you sign into your google account on the phone... if you currently have a android phone make sure all your contacts are stored to your google account and not the phone storage. If you don't have an android phone you'll have to figure out how to export your contacts and import them into your google account.

3. Voicemail and text messaging services do work... BUT the Verizon Visual Voice Mail for Nexus app does not work and some people are having problems with the Verizon Messages app for text messages. I use Hangouts app for text messages and I've had no problems with it and MMS works fine. For voicemail you can still dial voicemail from the dialer by long pressing the "1" or I forward all unanswered calls to my Google Voice number and use Google Voice for visual voicemail instead of using Verizon for voicemail. Here's a link for a thread on how to use Google Voice for VVM...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/609654-verizon-visual-voice-mail-nexus-app-not-working.html

-The Hotspot works great too.
-In order to do simultaneous voice and data you have to make sure on your Verizon account you have Advanced Calling 1.0 enabled (it's free) and on the Nexus 6P make sure you have Enhanced 4G LTE Mode enabled (located under Cellular network in Settings).
-Also for better signal with Verizon on the 6P make sure the Preferred network type (located under Cellular network in Settings) is: CDMA/LTE

Last edited:

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all the good info.

I should have figured out the contacts by myself. All my current contacts are backed on my Google account.

In regard to the nano sim card, in February after my contract expires, and I buy the 6p, I'm going into my Verizon store and see if they will put a nano sim card into the 6p for me.

I currently have a Samsung Note 3

Concerning the voicemail and text messaging there should be a way for me to use the Verizon native apps. I actually like their text messaging app.

Thanks

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for all the good info.

Concerning the voicemail and text messaging there should be a way for me to use the Verizon native apps. I actually like their text messaging app.

The native Visual Voice Mail Nexus app created by Verizon that's in the play store does not work at this time on the 6P... so you will not be able to use Verizon's voicemail service for Visual Voice Mail with their app or any other app because the 6P is not recognized in Verizon's system for voicemail service... I contacted Verizon support myself on this. The only way to have Visual Voice Mail on the 6P is to forward unanswered calls to another service like Google Voice. However, basic voicemail does still work by calling into your voicemail from the 6P.

I do not use Verizon Messages app, however I've seen posts like this one linked below that this app quit working with MMS on the 6P. Other messaging apps like the stock google one and Hangouts work just fine.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/611418-verizon-mms-not-working.html

So to sum things up... the 6P works great on Verizon's network BUT the native Verizon apps that are available in the play store don't always work... this may change in the future if/when Verizon certifies the 6P on their network.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all your easy to understand information.

I currently have basic voicemail. So I should be OK.

In regard to the text messaging, I'll just have to find something else I like. Hangouts is on my current phone. I'll start playing with that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer