Must have apps?

Lefank

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
So I'm just wondering, I'm very familiar with Android but this is my first nexus phone. Are there any must have apps? I have nova installed and a few other apps but can anyone give me some suggestions...

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Happy Androiding!
Just a few...VLC or MX Player for video, Poweamp for audio, Swiftkey or A.I.Type for keyboard (sure everyone will suggest Google). DROID TV for entertainment, not in the playstore but you can find on amazon or download the apk from their web site. You can almost throw away your cable with this TV app. Hope these help. Oh..upgrade to nova prime, way worth it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What about Power Toggles, Zooper Widgets and Screen Off and Lock to mix with Nova? :)

If you like reading in your phone give Pocket a try. Excellent for offline reading, you can save your articles from any app and sync between different devices.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Must-have apps depends on what you use the phone for. MyDirections is a must-have app for me, some ham radio apps are. Some astronomy apps are.

It depends on your interests. For me, not having any way to play music (other than notifications, alarms and ringtones) isn't a problem - I don't play music on my phone. Nova is a must for me, so is Ampere. (So are a lot of diagnostic apps. This is my computer away from home. It also makes and takes calls and texts.)

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
If you own a Chromecast or Android TV I've recently fallen in love with Plex. I have nearly a terabyte of media at home so not having to manually transfer files from that HDD to another device to watch on my TV all the time is a godsend.

For driving, my favorites include Tunein radio so I can listen to radio stations and podcasts in my car (I really hate having to bother linking my phone to BT and auto manufacturer's infotainment systems, seems like too many steps to achieve what my phone does all on its own in the first place). And I also use Car Dashdroid as my driving UI app.

Moon+ Reader because this phone is big enough to read ebooks on the go. Just increase the font size in the app settings.
FX File Explorer
Keepass2Android (it's a password vault)
MX video player
Real Steel is a pretty fun robot fighting game with good graphics, one of the few games I can find these days that doesn't make playing without in-app purchases so hard.

No point in me mentioning apps that already come with the phone.

anon(4086547)

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Dolphin Browser - because of it's full screen mode (completely hides navigation and notification bars) to prevent potential AMOLED screen burn in.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Is there an app that allows you to "close all apps" rather than having to close them one at a time?
My Samsung tablet allows me to do that, pretty handy.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there an app that allows you to "close all apps" rather than having to close them one at a time?
My Samsung tablet allows me to do that, pretty handy.

This is Exactly what I need to know also!

Coming from a Note 5, I really miss 'Close All' apps instead of swiping 20+ times every few hours on the Nexus.

Posted via Android Central App

angrybassets

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted, install Xposed framework. Then, the first module you should down load is Gravity Box. It adds SO many tweaks to the phone (including several mentioned here) and operates as if it's baked in, not added on.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean not necessary?
It's always good to shut down apps you're not using isn't it?

occasionally yes, always no. I only do it once every few days but that's just a personal habit because I don't want to flip through 30 cards to find something. I haven't noticed any effect on performance when I forget to. I don't close them all either, I just close recent searches mostly.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
When I first got this phone I thought I'd made a mistake, I was kinda lost without the Samsung apps I was used to but after playing with it a few days now I really like it, just takes a little bitta fiddling and learning from this forum... ;)
I just been using messenger for texting, is there an app that will read out incoming texts and let me reply verbally? (that will link with messenger?)
Right now I read the incoming text while driving and use the google voice thing to reply but I'd rather not have to read them while driving.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15