12-07-2015 04:02 PM
32 12
tools
    So I'm just wondering, I'm very familiar with Android but this is my first nexus phone. Are there any must have apps? I have nova installed and a few other apps but can anyone give me some suggestions...
    11-25-2015 02:17 PM
    Happy Androiding!
    Just a few...VLC or MX Player for video, Poweamp for audio, Swiftkey or A.I.Type for keyboard (sure everyone will suggest Google). DROID TV for entertainment, not in the playstore but you can find on amazon or download the apk from their web site. You can almost throw away your cable with this TV app. Hope these help. Oh..upgrade to nova prime, way worth it.
    Lefank likes this.
    11-25-2015 02:42 PM
    Thanks Jay, I have not heard of droid tv... I'll definitely check that out!
    11-25-2015 03:43 PM
    What about Power Toggles, Zooper Widgets and Screen Off and Lock to mix with Nova?

If you like reading in your phone give Pocket a try. Excellent for offline reading, you can save your articles from any app and sync between different devices.
    Lefank likes this.
    11-25-2015 03:50 PM
    Must-have apps depends on what you use the phone for. MyDirections is a must-have app for me, some ham radio apps are. Some astronomy apps are.

It depends on your interests. For me, not having any way to play music (other than notifications, alarms and ringtones) isn't a problem - I don't play music on my phone. Nova is a must for me, so is Ampere. (So are a lot of diagnostic apps. This is my computer away from home. It also makes and takes calls and texts.)
    11-25-2015 11:04 PM
    SCREEN OFF AND LOCK is a must have for all on screen buttons phones
    11-26-2015 12:46 AM
    If you own a Chromecast or Android TV I've recently fallen in love with Plex. I have nearly a terabyte of media at home so not having to manually transfer files from that HDD to another device to watch on my TV all the time is a godsend.

For driving, my favorites include Tunein radio so I can listen to radio stations and podcasts in my car (I really hate having to bother linking my phone to BT and auto manufacturer's infotainment systems, seems like too many steps to achieve what my phone does all on its own in the first place). And I also use Car Dashdroid as my driving UI app.

Moon+ Reader because this phone is big enough to read ebooks on the go. Just increase the font size in the app settings.
    FX File Explorer
    Keepass2Android (it's a password vault)
    MX video player
    Real Steel is a pretty fun robot fighting game with good graphics, one of the few games I can find these days that doesn't make playing without in-app purchases so hard.

No point in me mentioning apps that already come with the phone.
    Lefank likes this.
    11-26-2015 12:08 PM
    Awesome thanks!
    11-26-2015 06:13 PM
    Dolphin Browser - because of it's full screen mode (completely hides navigation and notification bars) to prevent potential AMOLED screen burn in.
    11-26-2015 09:46 PM
    Titanium Backup is a great Android app regardless of phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-26-2015 10:45 PM
    ES FIle Explorer
    11-27-2015 08:42 AM
    11-27-2015 03:14 PM
    Is there an app that allows you to "close all apps" rather than having to close them one at a time?
    My Samsung tablet allows me to do that, pretty handy.
    11-28-2015 01:02 AM
    Is there an app that allows you to "close all apps" rather than having to close them one at a time?
    This is Exactly what I need to know also!

Coming from a Note 5, I really miss 'Close All' apps instead of swiping 20+ times every few hours on the Nexus.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-28-2015 08:49 AM
    If you're rooted, install Xposed framework. Then, the first module you should down load is Gravity Box. It adds SO many tweaks to the phone (including several mentioned here) and operates as if it's baked in, not added on.
    11-28-2015 09:18 AM
    Why do you want to? It's not necessary on the 6p.
    11-28-2015 12:37 PM
    What do you mean not necessary?
    It's always good to shut down apps you're not using isn't it?
    11-28-2015 01:46 PM
    occasionally yes, always no. I only do it once every few days but that's just a personal habit because I don't want to flip through 30 cards to find something. I haven't noticed any effect on performance when I forget to. I don't close them all either, I just close recent searches mostly.
    11-29-2015 09:17 AM
    When I first got this phone I thought I'd made a mistake, I was kinda lost without the Samsung apps I was used to but after playing with it a few days now I really like it, just takes a little bitta fiddling and learning from this forum...
    I just been using messenger for texting, is there an app that will read out incoming texts and let me reply verbally? (that will link with messenger?)
    Right now I read the incoming text while driving and use the google voice thing to reply but I'd rather not have to read them while driving.
    angelbones1 likes this.
    12-02-2015 05:32 PM
    The phone shuts down apps you're not using all by itself when it needs to.

Think of the little square button as a list of most recent apps, not of apps that are currently running.
    12-03-2015 12:15 AM
    occasionally yes, always no. I only do it once every few days but that's just a personal habit because I don't want to flip through 30 cards to find something. I haven't noticed any effect on performance when I forget to. I don't close them all either, I just close recent searches mostly.
    No need. Instead of flipping through 30 cards for an app you haven't used for a while, just open it through the launcher like you normally would.

I only use the recent apps browser for 2 reasons. To quickly switch between 2 or 3 apps quickly, and to manually close a single app that is slower to close manually, Music or Navigation apps for instance.
    12-03-2015 12:20 AM
    I only use the recent apps browser for 2 reasons. To quickly switch between 2 or 3 apps quickly, and to manually close a single app that is slower to close manually, Music or Navigation apps for instance.
    This is really the only reason I close apps via the multi tasking screen. There's no need to close them otherwise, they shut down in the background. App killers are no longer necessary with Android. Also, you don't need to worry about battery memory anymore
    12-03-2015 09:08 AM
    No need. Instead of flipping through 30 cards for an app you haven't used for a while, just open it through the launcher like you normally would.

I should've clarified by saying "when multi-tasking". I do normally just open from the launcher but sometimes I may remember to spin off an email or a text or whatever while I'm within another app and will go that route
    12-03-2015 10:03 AM
    When I first got this phone I thought I'd made a mistake, I was kinda lost without the Samsung apps I was used to but after playing with it a few days now I really like it, just takes a little bitta fiddling and learning from this forum...
    I just been using messenger for texting, is there an app that will read out incoming texts and let me reply verbally? (that will link with messenger?)
    Right now I read the incoming text while driving and use the google voice thing to reply but I'd rather not have to read them while driving.
    Anyone recommend an app for sending, receiving texts verbally?
    12-03-2015 08:51 PM
    Couple things, I used to use screen off and on but found it intermittently broke nexus imprint and was making me need to use my pin at random not only after restart.

Second thing is be careful with pocket. Left unchecked its sync can have heavy battery impact.

My number one suggestion isn't an app actually. System ui tuner to get percentage displayed on battery icon without root or annoying permanent gsam notification.

To engage simply long press the setting cog in pull down menu until it states it's been engaged.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-05-2015 01:02 AM
32 12