What have you replaced Messenger with for SMS/MMS on the Nexus 6P?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I've paid for chomp and textra and both are great and both have no ads after paying. I probably prefer chomp because I like their quick reply box better. With that being said I just downloaded awsms and it's pretty good for an app in beta. Check it out

Why do you keep looking for new SMS apps if you've found one you're happy with?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Quick reply is coming to hangouts in 6.1, it is already started rolling out on iOS and should be converted to Android in the near future.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Makes you wonder about Google when iOS gets features before their own operating system based app.

There are 6 screen sizes to code for and only two major code variations required to make the app look good on all of their tablets and phones. Testing can be done faster and they have to be a bit more proactive because of Apple's review/approval process. If that process goes smoothly, iOS sees the app update first.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Quick reply is coming to hangouts in 6.1, it is already started rolling out on iOS and should be converted to Android in the near future.

It's weird. As someone that has both an iPhone and a 6P I never understood why hangouts work so much better on IOS. Especially since all the other Google apps work better on Android than IOS

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Why do you keep looking for new SMS apps if you've found one you're happy with?

The billion dollar 💵 question. I'm a nut. I like to flash roms and try different apps and I can't control my addiction. Part of the Android fun for me.
As I said previously, textra and chomp are great and now I just paid for awsms. You should see me with Twitter and calendar apps. Lmao

Jed Monsen

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I've tried Hangouts, Messenger, and Textra. Hangouts and Messenger both wouldnt send my MMS/Group Messages and Textra does. Also, when i tried using Hangouts full time it created a duplicate contact for everyone one of my contacts. I probably screwed something up during setup though. Also, for some reason Hangouts and Messenger were really spotty in sending my messages to iPhone users. About 50% of the time they wouldnt send. Textra hasnt had any problems for me yet, so thats what i use.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I use Verizon Messages. Although their recent update has broken MMS capabilities. So I've rolled back to a previous version. You can find the apk online for version 6.02. It's the only VZW app I use (and only available to verizon customers) but it offers everything I need. ....especially the ability to text over wifi. I used to use Hangouts but the 6P is not allowing me to change custom ringtones with hangouts. Meaning...I can change it, but it doesn't play the sound.

Ex Iphone

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I switched a verizon note 3 to at&t and folks complained my texts would come as 2-4 separate texts and also the end of text message was the beginning text and so on.

so figured why not try google messenger all my contacts are now happy so nexus 6p here comes messenger for it and myself.

thanks for this thread as never knew it existed much less the others some of you use.

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the Material Messenger mention. I like it! I've been using Textra, which is great, but I may prefer the Materiel Messenger aesthetic.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra SMS Pro and think it's a great app. Since I use this app on several devices (using the same account), the $2.69 I spent to have an ad free experience was worth it. The "pro" status applies to any device I use the registered account on.

Fallensb

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm now a Textra user and really enjoy it, but I'm really hoping the Devs for Evolved SMS listen to their longtime users. It was by far the best sms/mms experience I have used. I tried hangout, but don't like having Gchat and sms together in one app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech