Phone Sparked, Radios not Working

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Earlier this evening, my 6P sparked while sitting on the counter. (I was doing, and had done nothing weird with my phone.) There is burn damage around the bottom corner of the phone.IMG_0001.JPG

After this happened, I got the red corrupt message. Did a factory reset, got rid of that message. However, now I can only connect to one of the 2 bands on my dual-band WiFi router, and it says my radios are off and I can't get them to turn back on.

So, I have a couple very important questions, and any help to any of them would be much appreciated.

1. Since I did nothing that would have caused the phone to react like that, would it be covered under warranty? (I purchased through Huawei)
2. Is there any thing I can do to get my radios to turn back on? (I tried the *#*#4636#*#* option, and it gave me the button "Turn on radio", but pressing it accomplished nothing)
3. Am I screwed?

UPDATE: As mentioned lower in thread, I have RMA'd the device.

Last edited:

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to open a RMA claim and get another one. This should be covered under warranty so long as you didn't trip any of the water indicators.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Device has not had any contact with water. Is there anything else that could trip up any indicators that I could be missing?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
It's time to get in contact with Huawei. There is no reason that you, or anyone else, should attempt to diagnosis or band-aid this device. Return it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity:

1. Was the phone plugged in to the charger or a PC at the time?
  2. Is it safe to assume your countertop is non-metallic? (don't laugh - as a kid, I grew up in a house with stainless steel kitchen counters)

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Called Huawei and filed an RMA. Should be getting a shipping label later today. Once they receive the phone, I was told to expect a phone back (either this device repaired or a replacement) within 14 business days. So, doing the math, I'm going to be rocking a LG 450 until Christmas give or take a few days...(Had always been on carrier phone plans before, so I don't have another smart phone)

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I believe Huawei is also good with quick turn around. At least from what I have been reading on forums.

Here's what I'm expecting from the Huawei RMA, based on what the rep I got told me.
1. Wait for pre-paid shipping label, which will be sent either through Huawei or UPS. Was told to expect the label by Wednesday.
2. Once I receive the label, take the device to a UPS Store and ship from there. Will be able to track shipment online.
3. Once Huawei receives the phone, I will receive a new device (or have the current device repaired and returned) within 14 business days.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Huawei just called me back. They are now calling my case a "special situation" (read: the phone almost caught on fire). They told me to expect a call back from corporate in 24-48 hours, and that I could get a phone in as soon as 7 business days after that (depending on what the corporate person says, so I'm not holding my breath quite yet)

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Earlier this evening, my 6P sparked while sitting on the counter. (I was doing, and had done nothing weird with my phone.) There is burn damage around the bottom corner of the phone.View attachment 207715

After this happened, I got the red corrupt message. Did a factory reset, got rid of that message. However, now I can only connect to one of the 2 bands on my dual-band WiFi router, and it says my radios are off and I can't get them to turn back on.

So, I have a couple very important questions, and any help to any of them would be much appreciated.

1. Since I did nothing that would have caused the phone to react like that, would it be covered under warranty? (I purchased through Huawei)
2. Is there any thing I can do to get my radios to turn back on? (I tried the *#*#4636#*#* option, and it gave me the button "Turn on radio", but pressing it accomplished nothing)
3. Am I screwed?

UPDATE: As mentioned lower in thread, I have RMA'd the device.

I am sorry that this happened and glad that you are getting a replacement. What charger were you using? What is going on with that outlet in your picture - how many things do you have plugged in there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21