Earlier this evening, my 6P sparked while sitting on the counter. (I was doing, and had done nothing weird with my phone.) There is burn damage around the bottom corner of the phone.Phone Sparked, Radios not Working-img_0001.jpg

After this happened, I got the red corrupt message. Did a factory reset, got rid of that message. However, now I can only connect to one of the 2 bands on my dual-band WiFi router, and it says my radios are off and I can't get them to turn back on.

So, I have a couple very important questions, and any help to any of them would be much appreciated.

1. Since I did nothing that would have caused the phone to react like that, would it be covered under warranty? (I purchased through Huawei)
    2. Is there any thing I can do to get my radios to turn back on? (I tried the *#*#4636#*#* option, and it gave me the button "Turn on radio", but pressing it accomplished nothing)
    3. Am I screwed?

UPDATE: As mentioned lower in thread, I have RMA'd the device.
    Rigelian likes this.
    11-30-2015 01:18 AM
    You should be able to open a RMA claim and get another one. This should be covered under warranty so long as you didn't trip any of the water indicators.
    11-30-2015 02:52 AM
    Device has not had any contact with water. Is there anything else that could trip up any indicators that I could be missing?
    11-30-2015 03:04 AM
    It's time to get in contact with Huawei. There is no reason that you, or anyone else, should attempt to diagnosis or band-aid this device. Return it.
    11-30-2015 05:14 AM
    Just out of curiosity:

1. Was the phone plugged in to the charger or a PC at the time?
    2. Is it safe to assume your countertop is non-metallic? (don't laugh - as a kid, I grew up in a house with stainless steel kitchen counters)
    11-30-2015 08:57 AM
    1. No
    2. Yes
    11-30-2015 10:35 AM
    1. No
    2. Yes
    Then,

1. Weird
    2. Worrisome

I have seen occasional reports of phones (iPhones, for example) bursting into flames and/or exploding ( Spontaneously Exploding iPhone Causes Severe Burns ). I'd like to think this wasn't about to happen to the phone that is now in my pocket or - worse - while sitting on my nightstand when I am asleep.
    11-30-2015 10:44 AM
    Called Huawei and filed an RMA. Should be getting a shipping label later today. Once they receive the phone, I was told to expect a phone back (either this device repaired or a replacement) within 14 business days. So, doing the math, I'm going to be rocking a LG 450 until Christmas give or take a few days...(Had always been on carrier phone plans before, so I don't have another smart phone)
    11-30-2015 11:12 AM
    RMA the device... Don't joke with hardware malfunctioning.
    11-30-2015 11:44 AM
    RMA the device... Don't joke with hardware malfunctioning.
    Called and took care of it this morning. Just really didn't want to be stuck on a dumb flip phone for a month, but I don't really have any other options.
    11-30-2015 11:46 AM
    Google is fast to process RMA, chances are you will have a new phone by the end of the week.
    11-30-2015 11:48 AM
    Google is fast to process RMA, chances are you will have a new phone by the end of the week.
    Ordered through Huawei, not Google.
    11-30-2015 01:13 PM
    Ordered through Huawei, not Google.
    I believe Huawei is also good with quick turn around. At least from what I have been reading on forums.
    11-30-2015 01:18 PM
    I believe Huawei is also good with quick turn around. At least from what I have been reading on forums.
    Here's what I'm expecting from the Huawei RMA, based on what the rep I got told me.
    1. Wait for pre-paid shipping label, which will be sent either through Huawei or UPS. Was told to expect the label by Wednesday.
    2. Once I receive the label, take the device to a UPS Store and ship from there. Will be able to track shipment online.
    3. Once Huawei receives the phone, I will receive a new device (or have the current device repaired and returned) within 14 business days.
    11-30-2015 01:27 PM
    Good luck on that fourteen days. Seriously.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-30-2015 03:23 PM
    Huawei just called me back. They are now calling my case a "special situation" (read: the phone almost caught on fire). They told me to expect a call back from corporate in 24-48 hours, and that I could get a phone in as soon as 7 business days after that (depending on what the corporate person says, so I'm not holding my breath quite yet)
    11-30-2015 04:33 PM
    Tell them you want a replacement in three days or you are going to contact the mainstream press...
    11-30-2015 04:56 PM
    I'm curious

How did the phone spark?
    12-01-2015 07:37 AM
    Poor build quality. Lol. JK...ish.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-01-2015 09:47 AM
    Earlier this evening, my 6P sparked while sitting on the counter. (I was doing, and had done nothing weird with my phone.) There is burn damage around the bottom corner of the phone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	207715

After this happened, I got the red corrupt message. Did a factory reset, got rid of that message. However, now I can only connect to one of the 2 bands on my dual-band WiFi router, and it says my radios are off and I can't get them to turn back on.

So, I have a couple very important questions, and any help to any of them would be much appreciated.

1. Since I did nothing that would have caused the phone to react like that, would it be covered under warranty? (I purchased through Huawei)
    2. Is there any thing I can do to get my radios to turn back on? (I tried the *#*#4636#*#* option, and it gave me the button "Turn on radio", but pressing it accomplished nothing)
    3. Am I screwed?

UPDATE: As mentioned lower in thread, I have RMA'd the device.
    I am sorry that this happened and glad that you are getting a replacement. What charger were you using? What is going on with that outlet in your picture - how many things do you have plugged in there?
    12-01-2015 12:34 PM
    I'm curious

How did the phone spark?
    I wish I could give an answer to this, but I don't know. It was sitting on my kitchen counter while I was cooking (not close to anything that could cause a spark), and then I noticed a spark out of the corner of my eye.

I am sorry that this happened and glad that you are getting a replacement. What charger were you using? What is going on with that outlet in your picture - how many things do you have plugged in there?
    I had only used the included charger to charge the phone, and the phone was not charging at the time of the spark. That outlet has three total things plugged into a split at the top (lamp, chromebook, and a spare micro-usb charger (generally unused, sometimes used to top off my tablet)), and then the phone charger was by itself on the bottom.
    12-01-2015 01:51 PM
    I'm trying to figure out what those 2 "nubs" are in that picture. They're in the slots that are normally filled with plastic, I believe for the antenna.
    12-01-2015 02:47 PM
    Is there anyway you could post more pictures of the phone before you send the phone in? Maybe a picture of the counter and how the phone was positioned on it? I'm just curious to know why this happened, maybe someone here has an answer.
    12-01-2015 03:26 PM
    Is there anyway you could post more pictures of the phone before you send the phone in? Maybe a picture of the counter and how the phone was positioned on it? I'm just curious to know why this happened, maybe someone here has an answer.
    Phone is already boxed and ready to send in. It was just laying on its back (screen up) on a granite countertop. Was sitting in the middle of the counter, a safe distance away from anything else.
    12-01-2015 07:47 PM
    Sorry you had this problem with your phone, hope it gets sorted out. I'm currently considering switching my iPhone to this Nexus device.
    12-02-2015 11:02 AM