Nexus 6P Google Play is so slow

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my M8 back when I still had it. Super slow downloads when on wi-fi at home. Switched to LTE and it would work fast.

mitcha14

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I've noticed over the last day that updating my apps on Google Play is painfully slow. Like deadly slow. It takes probably 20 minutes for a very small file. I have read some crazy things on the net regarding the potential reasons of this but it seems like I cannot get a straight answer.

This has not been the issue before, as downloading apps and updating was quick and as it should be.

Just not sure what's going on with it as its driving me nuts! Anyone have a solution or any suggestions?

Just got my 6p a few days ago and noticed that too. It's is terribly slow downloading almost anything. When setting up my phone it took hours to download my apps. Also, downloading two Spotify playlists (166 songs) is looking like its going to take me an hour. Any fixes?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Just got my 6p a few days ago and noticed that too. It's is terribly slow downloading almost anything. When setting up my phone it took hours to download my apps. Also, downloading two Spotify playlists (166 songs) is looking like its going to take me an hour. Any fixes?

I managed to get my Nexus running quick again. Wipe the cache and data in the app manager for the Google play store. Force stop Google play services. Open Google play store after this is complete and then go to settings, scroll down to the bottom and click on software version it should update right away. Try that. If not. Wipe the device via hard reset. Check online for this. It's everywhere.

ubelsteiner

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I've definitely been having the same issues as well, it's been infuriating. I love the phone, except this stupid issue. Never had an issue like its on my 6 on 6.0. And I never have issues with speed in other apps on this 6P or just downloading files in Chrome, ONLY in the Play Store. The other night I was trying to get a few Cardboard apps/games to show my g/f and one or two of them downloaded fast, but the other 3-4 just would not download or would download so painfully slow, like dial-up slow. I tried clearing caches for google play services and download manager, data, uninstalling updates, restarting phone and router countless time. Each time this happens, if i switch off the wifi, it downloads on LTE (albeit slowly). I even left the phone trying to download the apps overnight and I woke up to it still downloading (it just said "Downloading" with the progress bar animation that just keeps looping, not giving any size/speed info or actual progress %).

Actually, now that I think about it, my Thumbs Up playlist in Play Music was giving me a LOT of trouble last week, when I was trying to download/pin it to my 6P. It would download a tiny bit of the 12GB playlist and then give an error "Cannot download your music now, will try again later". Toggling wifi off/on would get it downloading a slight bit more, but then it would just stop again. I ended up giving up, went to my g/fs house, and after I had been there for a little while I looked at my phone and the music had all downloaded on her wifi.

At work today, I had no problem installing apps, was fast as hell. Now I'm at home testing it out and things seem to be working, but slower overall. My home internet connection is even faster than at my office, so I know it's not bandwidth issues. I'm almost wondering if the 6P just doesn't play well with certain types of wifi networks?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I've definitely been having the same issues as well, it's been infuriating. I love the phone, except this stupid issue. Never had an issue like its on my 6 on 6.0. And I never have issues with speed in other apps on this 6P or just downloading files in Chrome, ONLY in the Play Store. The other night I was trying to get a few Cardboard apps/games to show my g/f and one or two of them downloaded fast, but the other 3-4 just would not download or would download so painfully slow, like dial-up slow. I tried clearing caches for google play services and download manager, data, uninstalling updates, restarting phone and router countless time. Each time this happens, if i switch off the wifi, it downloads on LTE (albeit slowly). I even left the phone trying to download the apps overnight and I woke up to it still downloading (it just said "Downloading" with the progress bar animation that just keeps looping, not giving any size/speed info or actual progress %).

Actually, now that I think about it, my Thumbs Up playlist in Play Music was giving me a LOT of trouble last week, when I was trying to download/pin it to my 6P. It would download a tiny bit of the 12GB playlist and then give an error "Cannot download your music now, will try again later". Toggling wifi off/on would get it downloading a slight bit more, but then it would just stop again. I ended up giving up, went to my g/fs house, and after I had been there for a little while I looked at my phone and the music had all downloaded on her wifi.

At work today, I had no problem installing apps, was fast as hell. Now I'm at home testing it out and things seem to be working, but slower overall. My home internet connection is even faster than at my office, so I know it's not bandwidth issues. I'm almost wondering if the 6P just doesn't play well with certain types of wifi networks?

I've chalked it up to my ISP. This would be a interesting test if you're willing to check it out and report back. I believe my ISP was throttling my bandwidth. It happened to be the end of the month and I am sure I was around 300-400 GB used up. My ISP advertises that they are unlimited bandwidth per 30 days but I am in Canada and I know the regulations and that it cost ISP alot of money to buy net space.

If you could look at your billing cycle, see how much bandwidth you were at for the month and then wait for the cycle to refresh for a new month I am wondering if this is the case. As if the ISP would throttle certain IP addresses hoping that you wouldn't notice the slow speeds or something.

I was speaking with Google and they mentioned that the ISP could block certain services from certain devices. In this case, the Google Play Store.

This was the oddest issue I've ever had with any mobile device and haven't experienced anything like it before. All of a sudden around Dec 3rd the Google Play Store started to download normally again and Google Play Movies started to stream normally again. I didn't do anything new to the device I haven't tried before so I'm not sure what's going on

Let me know if you can test this and report back your findings, my ISP is stingey and will not tell me how much bandwidth exactly I use over the month. I am sure that's in fear of me leaving.

Let me know, I need to have answers to this ha-ha.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
...... Try that. If not. Wipe the device via hard reset. Check online for this. It's everywhere.

When you say wipe the device, do you mean an actual factory reset, or just the cache? Wiping the device seems harsh.

Posted via the Android Central App

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
When you say wipe the device, do you mean an actual factory reset, or just the cache? Wiping the device seems harsh.

Yea wipe the device. It's not that harsh at all. Everything is backing up via Google anyways. Just make sure you setup as a new device during setup.

I wipe my phone probably once a month to keep it running smoothly.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I've chalked it up to my ISP. This would be a interesting test if you're willing to check it out and report back. I believe my ISP was throttling my bandwidth. It happened to be the end of the month and I am sure I was around 300-400 GB used up. My ISP advertises that they are unlimited bandwidth per 30 days but I am in Canada and I know the regulations and that it cost ISP alot of money to buy net space.

If you could look at your billing cycle, see how much bandwidth you were at for the month and then wait for the cycle to refresh for a new month I am wondering if this is the case. As if the ISP would throttle certain IP addresses hoping that you wouldn't notice the slow speeds or something.

I was speaking with Google and they mentioned that the ISP could block certain services from certain devices. In this case, the Google Play Store.

This was the oddest issue I've ever had with any mobile device and haven't experienced anything like it before. All of a sudden around Dec 3rd the Google Play Store started to download normally again and Google Play Movies started to stream normally again. I didn't do anything new to the device I haven't tried before so I'm not sure what's going on

Let me know if you can test this and report back your findings, my ISP is stingey and will not tell me how much bandwidth exactly I use over the month. I am sure that's in fear of me leaving.

Let me know, I need to have answers to this ha-ha.

Glad to see you've managed to find a likely solution. The ISP thing does sound familiar to me, I travel quite a bit and can also attest to numerous Google Services giving me connection speed issues during my travels. The last time I was up in your neck of the woods (Eastern Canada though, not Western), I had a terrible time on a relative's ISP trying to connect to several Google Services, didn't matter if it was a mobile phone or her PC. I had a hunch it was a regional thing so I fired up her VPN and set it to a US server and - bang - problem disappeared. Now that you mention it, this was also near the end of the month I visited her and she's also on an unlimited data plan through her ISP as well.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see you've managed to find a likely solution. The ISP thing does sound familiar to me, I travel quite a bit and can also attest to numerous Google Services giving me connection speed issues during my travels. The last time I was up in your neck of the woods (Eastern Canada though, not Western), I had a terrible time on a relative's ISP trying to connect to several Google Services, didn't matter if it was a mobile phone or her PC. I had a hunch it was a regional thing so I fired up her VPN and set it to a US server and - bang - problem disappeared. Now that you mention it, this was also near the end of the month I visited her and she's also on an unlimited data plan through her ISP as well.

Interesting, I'm on the east side of Canada as well. I currently have Nexicom as a ISP. They are point to point internet network and actually runs pretty great, just having these stupid issues every now and then. So far so good though. Until we run up the data on our unlimited plan and then get throttled again ha-ha. It's impossible to prove and even if it was I have no idea where to start.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea wipe the device. It's not that harsh at all. Everything is backing up via Google anyways. Just make sure you setup as a new device during setup.

I wipe my phone probably once a month to keep it running smoothly.

I'm just ocd and it took me a few weeks to make sure it was set up exactly how I wanted the first time. I do wipe the cache periodically. I didn't even activate it on sprint until the day before I left them to go to tmobile.

I guess seeing how being 3 miles south of the "lte+" border made a 1/.5 speed test vs a 70/12 speed test difference just made me see magenta after 15 years.

Going thru and setting a phone up is a chore for me, with getting things in the right spot and such.

I'm just overly complicated. 😀

But to the others points - I don't have caps, and my speeds are 105/20, though typically 125/25 with comcast. I'll watch the next few days though. Since both my nexus 6 and 6p are almost identical I get the notifications at the same time. I can unscientifically monitor one install then the next.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm just ocd and it took me a few weeks to make sure it was set up exactly how I wanted the first time. I do wipe the cache periodically. I didn't even activate it on sprint until the day before I left them to go to tmobile.

I guess seeing how being 3 miles south of the "lte+" border made a 1/.5 speed test vs a 70/12 speed test difference just made me see magenta after 15 years.

Going thru and setting a phone up is a chore for me, with getting things in the right spot and such.

I'm just overly complicated. 😀

But to the others points - I don't have caps, and my speeds are 105/20, though typically 125/25 with comcast. I'll watch the next few days though. Since both my nexus 6 and 6p are almost identical I get the notifications at the same time. I can unscientifically monitor one install then the next.

I completely understand about wiping and rebuilding your phone. It was a pain for awhile for me but now I can do it in my sleep ha-ha. However, I would suggest taking it easy on wiping the cache data often or periodically. I know it suggested on almost every review and tips and tricks website but from my own experience I find wiping the cache actually starts causing hiccups and issue in the OS. It's fixed once I wipe the device and start over but usually it'll run great, then I'll start noticing some weird issue with the OS, I'll then go against my word and wipe the cache and it never really fixes anything, sometimes it fixed issues for a day or two but then I notice further issues.

I'm not saying I know this for sure and I am positive that other people have their own opinions and experiences with this, its just a suggestions that you may want to try. If you decide you want to wipe the device, wipe it, rebuild it and leave the cache alone. I'm sure you'll have a better experience. That's what I did about a couple weeks ago and I haven't experienced any issues since. Well, serious issues anyway.