Alternatives to Nexus Protect?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on repurchasing the 6P through Google, and was wondering if there are better alternatives to Nexus Protect, with a lower deductible, upfront cost, or better protection?

Posted via the Android Central App

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people seem to recommend square trade. I wish I would have asked Verizon if my asurion coverage would have transferred. That way I would have been protected from loss and theft. That's the only thing I am worried about with nexus protect.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Buy with Amex and get extra year of warranty

I don't think you get the damage protection with credit card warranty doubling. Just extends the product warranty which covers malfunctions.

I went with Nexus protect. I think it's a very good deal. Plus you are going to deal direct with Google and seemingly get great turnaround time.

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you get the damage protection with credit card warranty doubling. Just extends the product warranty which covers malfunctions.

I went with Nexus protect. I think it's a very good deal. Plus you are going to deal direct with Google and seemingly get great turnaround time.

I read that you have to call asurion after the first year.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you use a Wells Fargo credit card to make monthly payments to your provider you get coverage for 2 years, $600 max per year with $25 deductible .... plus it's 0% for 15 months. Read the small print though, IDK all the details.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
what are you doing with your current 6p? Also one thing to consider is though expensive, Nexus Protect gets you a phone next day. If you don't have a backup device that might be something to consider.

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people seem to recommend square trade. I wish I would have asked Verizon if my asurion coverage would have transferred. That way I would have been protected from loss and theft. That's the only thing I am worried about with nexus protect.

I went with Nexus Protect after speaking with the folks at Asurion. I was told by Asurion that if my 6P needed to be replaced that I would receive a "comparable" phone, since Verizon does not carry or sell the Nexus 6P.
I also called my CC (Discover) and was told that I have an automatic 1 year extended manufacturers defect warranty, but only a 90 day damage warranty.
Glad I called both companies. For me, the Nexus Protect is well worth the price just for the accidental coverage.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I went with Nexus Protect after speaking with the folks at Asurion. I was told by Asurion that if my 6P needed to be replaced that I would receive a "comparable" phone, since Verizon does not carry or sell the Nexus 6P.
I also called my CC (Discover) and was told that I have an automatic 1 year extended manufacturers defect warranty, but only a 90 day damage warranty.
Glad I called both companies. For me, the Nexus Protect is well worth the price just for the accidental coverage.

totally agree ... I like having a Google phone insured straight from the source. Even if there was a comparable plan that saved me $20-$30 I'd still gladly pay the small premium just for the peace of mind.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
If you use Project Fi for your phone service, they are developing their own alternative. It sounds as if it will be a small monthly charge instead of an upfront payment, though still no word on when it will be available. Allegedly, Project Fi users can get their damaged phone fixed/replaced for $100, at least until the Fi plan becomes available.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Got refunded from Huawei and placed my order with Google, with Nexus Protect. Estimated delivery December 8-10.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Ah, thanks for the info. Guess it was a good thing I added NP on there when I ordered then. I also paid with discover so good to know about the extra defect coverage.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
most home/renter's insurance policies require a $500 deductible.
I'd have to add that I don't live in the US. I was able to add general hazard protection for all home electronics to mine and I have a 100$ (well, 100 CHF) deductible on mine, so that's not too bad. Other phone insurances I can get here also have a deductible reaching anywhere from 75 to 150$

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
most home/renter's insurance policies require a $500 deductible.

A lot of companies now have specific coverages you can add to your home owners /renters that cover electronics. When I sold for liberty mutual last year it covered Internet connected devices from all perils and only had like a $100 deductible.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
A lot of companies now have specific coverages you can add to your home owners /renters that cover electronics. When I sold for liberty mutual last year it covered Internet connected devices from all perils and only had like a $100 deductible.

interesting ... I'm gonna look into that cause I'm pretty sure I have LM. Thx for the tip!