Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

03-22-2016 11:45 PM
47 12
tools
    Hi all, sorry to bother you guys but I have a frustrating problem. I got my nexus 6p recently and installed all my old apps from my HTC one (had no battery issues).

Ive had it for 2 days and battery life was around 8 9 hours with normal use so I knew something was off. I checked battery and noticed I might have a wake lock problem. After doing research I don't know how to tackle it without rooting my phone. Please see screenshots!

I literally am so confused since NO Apps are taking up battery...And I have even tried putting the phone on airplane mode to see if it's the phone signal but it's still "awake" even on airplane mode! Please help

Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151202-152617.jpg
    Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151202-152624.jpg
    Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151202-152642.jpg
    Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151202-153012.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151202-152821.jpg  
    12-02-2015 04:57 PM
    Have you rebooted your phone yet? Cleared app cache?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-02-2015 06:13 PM
    Do you have the Facebook app installed? If so, consider dumping it and see if things improve.
    12-02-2015 06:14 PM
    Thanks for quick responses guys

I have rebooted it 2-3 times, have cleared cache as well (I'm assuming you mean storage -> clear cache) and then rebooted.

I actually do NOT have the Facebook application installed, since I know it can cause problems. Any other ideas?? Are my options now only to either root or reformat the entire phone? ><
    12-02-2015 06:26 PM
    I'm not sure if its a big difference or not, but try clearing your cache through recovery. This link is easy to follow if you don't know how to.

http://www.androidexplained.com/nexu...che-partition/

12-02-2015 06:48 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it hasn't changed anything. Still "awake" when screen is off and NO apps are running....how is this possible :/
    12-02-2015 07:17 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it hasn't changed anything. Still "awake" when screen is off and NO apps are running....how is this possible :/
    If you have rebooted your phone, let it sit there for like an hour without touching a single thing and still seeing that it's awake with no screen on time, then that's very odd. Next thing I would do is boot into safe mode by holding down the power button and then holding down the on screen power off button. Booting into safe mode will disable all third party apps and leave you with a completely stock device with only system apps. If after booting into safe mode and still having the same issue, then there's more than likely a bigger issue than just a rogue app.

12-02-2015 07:33 PM
    that's actually an amazing idea. I've already tried letting it sit for hours without touching it and the screen on bar is empty but the awake bar is SOLID... (lol)

I am not rebooting into safe mode and going to let it sit. Thank you!
    12-02-2015 08:28 PM
    that's actually an amazing idea. I've already tried letting it sit for hours without touching it and the screen on bar is empty but the awake bar is SOLID... (lol)

I am not rebooting into safe mode and going to let it sit. Thank you!
    No problem. Let me know what happens. If you see no drain at all like what you were seeing with all your regular apps installed, then I would do a factory reset and NOT use the backup from your htc. Just start fresh after that and download the apps you need as you go.

12-02-2015 08:32 PM
    The two apps I have had issue with are GSAM and GasBuddy, both kept my phone awake but didn't show on the list. Unfortunately, if those aren't what are causing your phone to stay awake, the only option is trial and error -- or possibly rooting the phone and using an app like Wakelock Detector. In my case, I did a factory reset on my phone and just added a few apps at a time until I found the apps that were causing issues.
    12-02-2015 08:54 PM
    mchockey - will do!

mogelijk - thanks so much for input. Quick follow up - you found that only GSAM and GasBuddy were causing it right?
    12-02-2015 09:10 PM
    The two apps I have had issue with are GSAM and GasBuddy, both kept my phone awake but didn't show on the list. Unfortunately, if those aren't what are causing your phone to stay awake, the only option is trial and error -- or possibly rooting the phone and using an app like Wakelock Detector. In my case, I did a factory reset on my phone and just added a few apps at a time until I found the apps that were causing issues.
    I've heard about gasbuddy giving many issues. Never heard of gsam giving issues. I use that as well and I've been trying to figure out what's up with my less than stellar battery life too. What made you come to that conclusion with gsam?

12-02-2015 09:34 PM
    Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151203-113703.jpg

Good news!

So you guys can see all the solid "awake" times is the problem I am referring you. Then the wakelock problem seems to be much better towards the end in safe mode. So do you guys suggest I factory reset it and install apps one at a time?

Also there's NO difference between a hard factory reset and a soft factory reset right?
    12-02-2015 09:52 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20151203-113703.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	208144

Good news!

So you guys can see all the solid "awake" times is the problem I am referring you. Then the wakelock problem seems to be much better towards the end in safe mode. So do you guys suggest I factory reset it and install apps one at a time?

Also there's NO difference between a hard factory reset and a soft factory reset right?
    If you want, you can start by removing gsam like Mogelijk suggested and see where that gets you. I'm going to do that myself in fact and see what happens tomorrow.

As far as factory reset goes, just use the method in the settings, that's all you need to do.
    It'll never hurt to reset your phone in the last case scenario and start fresh.

12-02-2015 10:07 PM
    Delete.
    12-02-2015 10:08 PM
    So bad news...I factory resetted my phone and without ANY apps the phone didn't actually stay awake. However, i installed my must have apps:

ExpressVPN (I live in China this year)
    Swiftkey
    Nova Launcher
    Wechat
    Whatsapp
    Uber
    Weather Timeline
    TOday calendar Pro
    Zooper Widgets Pro
    CloudMagic

and suddenly it's always awake again!!! >< aw man...
    12-03-2015 01:19 AM
    It's obviously one of those apps that's causing the problem.

I know its not Weather Timeline, Swiftkey, or Nova. I have all three of those and the phone goes into doze mode just fine.

My first guess, just via the names, is ExpressVPN. If it's constantly trying to make a connection, it might be keeping the phone awake. But, of course, that's just a guess.

My suggestion is to uninstall an app from the list, let it sit for a while to see if it sleeps, and repeat until you find which of the apps is the one keeping the phone from dozing. Then decide just how much you *really* need that app on your phone.
    12-03-2015 03:31 AM
    I can help by ruling out WhatsApp.

Are there settings in Weather Timeline which allow you to determine update frequency?

Also, go to Settings -> Battery, tap the three-dot menu at top right and select Battery optimization. Which apps are listed under the "Not optimized" heading?
    12-03-2015 07:21 AM
    It's obviously one of those apps that's causing the problem.

I know its not Weather Timeline, Swiftkey, or Nova. I have all three of those and the phone goes into doze mode just fine.

My first guess, just via the names, is ExpressVPN. If it's constantly trying to make a connection, it might be keeping the phone awake. But, of course, that's just a guess.

My suggestion is to uninstall an app from the list, let it sit for a while to see if it sleeps, and repeat until you find which of the apps is the one keeping the phone from dozing. Then decide just how much you *really* need that app on your phone.
    And that is exactly what I did to find my misbehaving apps. In the case of GSAM, I uninstalled and the issue went away. I'd also seen it suggested as being a problem on one of the long xda-developers.com threads about battery. I suspect that GSAM alone isn't an issue, rather it is GSAM and Bluetooth together, or something like that.

There has been an update of the GasBuddy app and it is better but, maybe a day after I reinstalled after the update, my phone was staying awake again. I rebooted and, to be safe, removed GasBuddy again, and I've not seen the issue again since.
    12-03-2015 08:47 AM
    And that is exactly what I did to find my misbehaving apps. In the case of GSAM, I uninstalled and the issue went away. I'd also seen it suggested as being a problem on one of the long xda-developers.com threads about battery. I suspect that GSAM alone isn't an issue, rather it is GSAM and Bluetooth together, or something like that.

There has been an update of the GasBuddy app and it is better but, maybe a day after I reinstalled after the update, my phone was staying awake again. I rebooted and, to be safe, removed GasBuddy again, and I've not seen the issue again since.
    So I did uninstall gsam and my awake times are a lot better now. Would have never thought that. Thank you!

12-03-2015 10:02 AM
    So I did uninstall gsam and my awake times are a lot better now. Would have never thought that. Thank you!

You are welcome. I have to admit that GSAM causing the phone to stay awake surprised me, too. I'm rather disappointed that there has been no update to GSAM since Marshmallow was released.
    12-03-2015 05:54 PM
    You are welcome. I have to admit that GSAM causing the phone to stay awake surprised me, too. I'm rather disappointed that there has been no update to GSAM since Marshmallow was released.
    Yeah it probably just isn't optimized for MM yet.

My awake times are much better now, but there still some strange things I see with battery. Like sometimes I'll look at my phone for a minute and notice its at 86%, put it down for a few minutes and it'll drop a couple percent just like that. Really weird.

Oh well.

12-03-2015 07:20 PM
    Hey everyone, so i went through the apps one by one and good news, there is actually no culprit. I guess the awake bar just needed some time to properly update. It's looking more normal now. I will post a screenshot after today's full day of use.

Essentially right now it looks like the awake bar corresponds with screen on (unless I'm charging or I'm downloading an app in the background). Will update in 12 hours. Thanks for all the input!!!!
    12-03-2015 08:46 PM
    UPDATE: This is my use from 8am this morning to 4pm so far. I would say I've been using it fairly normal today leaning towards conservative since I wanted to see if the phone would go to sleep if I left it for a bit. Towards the afternoon you can see that it's awake but the screen isn't on still...thoughts??

Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?-screenshot_20151204-155041.jpg
    12-04-2015 01:54 AM
    I am having the same issue; what should it look like on the battery screen if doze has kicked in? It is 8:22 am and my phone is already at 72%. It has dropped more today than normal.
    12-04-2015 08:22 AM
47 12