Keeps resetting ringtone (forgetting custom settings)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This came up within another thread somewhere but I can't find it again.

My 6P keeps resetting the ringtone I've selected for all calls to a built-in notification sound. This is annoying on two fronts - it won't keep the ringtone I've selected and it chooses a notification sound as opposed to an actual ringtone sound. I normally select music that I've uploaded to the phone for my general ringtone.

In addition to that, it's now resetting the custom tones I've set for a few of my contacts. They all revert to a notification sound.

So, when I get calls, it's just a simple notification sound that repeats.

Anyone have this problem and/or figured out a fix?

:-\

Thanks!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This came up within another thread somewhere but I can't find it again.

My 6P keeps resetting the ringtone I've selected for all calls to a built-in notification sound. This is annoying on two fronts - it won't keep the ringtone I've selected and it chooses a notification sound as opposed to an actual ringtone sound. I normally select music that I've uploaded to the phone for my general ringtone.

In addition to that, it's now resetting the custom tones I've set for a few of my contacts. They all revert to a notification sound.

So, when I get calls, it's just a simple notification sound that repeats.

Anyone have this problem and/or figured out a fix?

:-\

Thanks!

Where are you storing the ringtones and notifications?

Personally, I don't have any issues, but I have custom ringtones and notifications stored in their respective folders in the "Internal Storage" folder and then under "Ringtones" and "Notifications", not under Music.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Where are you storing the ringtones and notifications?

Personally, I don't have any issues, but I have custom ringtones and notifications stored in their respective folders in the "Internal Storage" folder and then under "Ringtones" and "Notifications", not under Music.

They are in the "ringtones" folder.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
No ringtone apps.

I have all of my custom ringtones, including the musical one, in the "ringtones" folder. I have some custom notification sounds in the "notifications" folder but the one it keeps reverting to is a standard OS sound. Actually not sure where the OS sounds are stored.

I appreciate your ideas. Maybe someone will come up with something that we're not thinking of. I have a feeling it's just a bug.

zinvestor

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the highjack, but where where where can I set individual ringtones? I have looked in phone contacts and general contacts and can't find anyplace to link an individual ringtone to a person.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the highjack, but where where where can I set individual ringtones? I have looked in phone contacts and general contacts and can't find anyplace to link an individual ringtone to a person.

In the CONTACTS app, bring up the contact you want to do it too. Select the pencil icon to edit the contact. Tap the 3-dot menu in the upper-right corner and there will be an option to pick a custom ringtone.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps give the phone app permission to access storage.

I'm having the exact same problem as the OP! I have given the phone permission to access storage. The ringtone I am using is a .wma file, so maybe that's the issue, but it has worked in the past. My contacts custom ringtones are working fine, and those are in .mp3 format. And the ringtones are in the Ringtones folder. I don't know where the notification sound is that the phone is using, but it's just a single "dong" tone.