I jumped ship from Apple last November and got a Note 4 for my first Android device. Now that I've made the change I'm interested in a stock android device. I can't really afford to buy it at full retail price at the moment. Should I wait until (if it ever does) it comes out through my carrier? Or just go with a Nexus 6? Or.. just go with a note 5 and put my stock android dreams on hold?
    12-08-2015 08:17 AM
    Stock Android for a smooth Android experience but if you like the s pen then stock with the Note series.

May I ask, what's wrong with the Note4 that you want to upgrade?

Nexus 6P
    12-08-2015 08:28 AM
    Other than it is very slow/laggy sometimes there isn't much wrong with it. I'm just interested in a stock android experience. The S pen is fun and I think its useful, but I don't get much use out of it. Maybe the occasional grocery list and screen clip.
    12-08-2015 08:56 AM
    Other than it is very slow/laggy sometimes there isn't much wrong with it. I'm just interested in a stock android experience. The S pen is fun and I think its useful, but I don't get much use out of it. Maybe the occasional grocery list and screen clip.
    If you just want a stock Android experience, why not get the 6 now(I picked up a used one for $124,but ymmv) ,and sell your note 4. Then when the 6p drops then you can sell your 6 and get the 6p.
    12-08-2015 09:19 AM
    If you can hold out, factory reset your Note4 and see if that helps but instead of the 6p, maybe the Nexus 6. That phone is still a great phone and the only advantage the 6p has over it is finger print sensor and 128GB option. Spec wise the 6p is higher but in real world use, you won't notice. I only got the 6p due to the 128GB which I have about 20GB left. If the N6 has 128 GB, I would of gotten that instead. Both have stereo speakers, AMOLED screen, good build quality, good cameras, and both are stock Nexus.

Nexus 6P
    12-08-2015 09:34 AM
    It is a pretty awesome phone. I wouldn't hold out for your carrier though. I don't think Google is going to let carriers get their hands on it due to the fiasco with updating the Nexus 6 due to the different builds.
    12-08-2015 10:04 AM
    If you just want a stock Android experience, why not get the 6 now(I picked up a used one for $124,but ymmv) ,and sell your note 4. Then when the 6p drops then you can sell your 6 and get the 6p.
    I was thinking about that, but also worried about it being a "downgrade". Does the 6 receive Marshmallow?

If you can hold out, factory reset your Note4 and see if that helps but instead of the 6p, maybe the Nexus 6. That phone is still a great phone and the only advantage the 6p has over it is finger print sensor and 128GB option. Spec wise the 6p is higher but in real world use, you won't notice. I only got the 6p due to the 128GB which I have about 20GB left. If the N6 has 128 GB, I would of gotten that instead. Both have stereo speakers, AMOLED screen, good build quality, good cameras, and both are stock Nexus.

Nexus 6P
    That is what I'm thinking about doing.
    12-08-2015 10:28 AM
    My 6 got the mm OTA.
    12-08-2015 10:29 AM
    I jumped ship from Apple last November and got a Note 4 for my first Android device. Now that I've made the change I'm interested in a stock android device. I can't really afford to buy it at full retail price at the moment. Should I wait until (if it ever does) it comes out through my carrier? Or just go with a Nexus 6? Or.. just go with a note 5 and put my stock android dreams on hold?
    Well there's no wait for it to be worth because as was mentioned we just don't know if US carriers will ever get it. Other countries are subsidizing via carriers already but no announcements to indicate they plan to stray from their initial stance of no US carrier availability. That's not to say they won't change their minds at some point but you could be playing that waiting game forever. Would it be worth it if you knew they would? Oh lord yes. But the problem is that's a big maybe.
    12-08-2015 10:58 AM
    Well there's no wait for it to be worth because as was mentioned we just don't know if US carriers will ever get it. Other countries are subsidizing via carriers already but no announcements to indicate they plan to stray from their initial stance of no US carrier availability. That's not to say they won't change their minds at some point but you could be playing that waiting game forever. Would it be worth it if you knew they would? Oh lord yes. But the problem is that's a big maybe.
    Very true. I guess I'm stuck with the dilemma of choosing the Nexus 6 or going with a Note 5.
    12-08-2015 11:39 AM
    If you buy it through Project FI you can finance it. The caveat is that Project FI uses T-Mobile and Sprint as it's carriers which both have terrible coverage as compared to AT&T or Verizon. However if you already are a T-Mobile or Sprint customer Project FI will be at least as good plus it gives you international coverage.
    12-08-2015 03:21 PM
    Pretty much where I'm at also (Note 4 as well). I'm going to sell it once I the 6P in the mail and hope to get $300 for it. Should offset the cost somewhat.
    12-08-2015 04:18 PM
    If you buy it through Project FI you can finance it. The caveat is that Project FI uses T-Mobile and Sprint as it's carriers which both have terrible coverage as compared to AT&T or Verizon. However if you already are a T-Mobile or Sprint customer Project FI will be at least as good plus it gives you international coverage.
    I really thought about it. I even signed up for the invite (which I received today by the way) but Sprint and T-Mobile are terrible in my area. Would there be a way to sign up, order the phone, and suspend service? Sounds kinda sketch to me, but maybe it could work.

Are there any "near stock" android phones?
    12-08-2015 08:39 PM
    I really thought about it. I even signed up for the invite (which I received today by the way) but Sprint and T-Mobile are terrible in my area. Would there be a way to sign up, order the phone, and suspend service? Sounds kinda sketch to me, but maybe it could work.

Are there any "near stock" android phones?
    Mxpe
    ffejjj likes this.
    12-08-2015 09:08 PM
    If price and stock are important to you, there's no use getting the Note 5. Some people actually prefer the Note 4 for the obvious reasons, and the upgrade isn't that significant.

With price and stock being your main concerns, you can do 3 things. 1) if you can sell your Note 4 that'll offset the cost of the 6p, 2) get the Nexus 6, which can be had for $200-$250 right now. IMO there's no better deal on a smartphone, nor has there ever been, then that price. 3) stick with your Note 4 until you can save up for the 6p ... you can always go the credit route if possible (decent credit will get you 0% financing for 15 months on most new credit cards).

Good luck.
    12-08-2015 09:18 PM
    Mxpe
    I second this.

My Moto X Pure is a really nice phone

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-08-2015 10:34 PM
    I think it's a terrific phone and well worth the wait. If price is an issue and you want the stock experience, maybe consider the 2014 Nexus 6 which from what I can tell, is still a great product.

Though, if I were you, I'd just pony up the extra cash and get the 6P.
    12-08-2015 10:50 PM
    Just tossing this out there.... the 5x has a $50 discount for Christmas via the Google store. I don't know if that's in your affordable range and I'm not sure you want to go for the smaller screen. It would give you the pure experience, just a slightly less premium phone. Same camera with the same fingerprint scanner but it doesn't come in 128GB. Just a thought.

*EDIT* It doesn't come in 64GB either. I also don't know what your memory requirements are.
    the tall guy likes this.
    12-08-2015 11:18 PM
    HUAWEI has financing on their site.

12-09-2015 12:48 AM
    The Note 4 is a great phone, stock Android is definitely smoother and less laggy but also a lot more boring. The Nexus 6 at current prices is gonna be your best bet, it is an absolute beast of a phone at an omg price and it is fully running marshmallow and will get "N" update for sure and "O" too most likely. I don't think the 6P is worth the extra cost, I had both and ended up returning the 6P, just not a big enough upgrade considering the extra cost

12-09-2015 09:42 AM
    Thanks for the inputs. I'll definitely take these things into consideration. I've read that the HUAWEI financing is something like 10% even with good credit. A credit card might be an option, but I've strayed away from having one this long in my life.. not sure if I want to go that route lol.
    12-09-2015 12:06 PM
    I was thinking about that, but also worried about it being a "downgrade". Does the 6 receive Marshmallow?
    Downgrade? Hardly. The Nexus 6 is still a beast, and best bang for the buck you can get. Awesome screen, speakers, and very fast. I'm not even considering the N6p. Maybe when the Nexus 2016 comes out. And yes, it has Marshmallow, and will get the next upgrade to Android N next fall.
    12-09-2015 11:36 PM
    unfortunately a lot of people see credit cards as something bad, like you said, you've stayed away and not sure you want one. Well, there's good credit and there's bad credit. Using a card for 15 months at 0%, obviously good credit. That kind of financing is smart and so long as you're responsible I'd suggest going that route. It's not like you're borrowing $25k, we're only talking ~$600 here so not sure what kinda trouble you can get into.
    12-10-2015 05:31 AM