Where does Google Play Services rank on your battery usage list?

hurricane87

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I've become obsessed with getting the most out of my battery life on my Nexus 6P to the point where I've been checking the battery stats section of the setting about once an hour. I'm not proud of it but I can't sake the habit. I'm a really light user so on average I get about 36 hours between charges with a little over 3 hours of screen on time. To most people I'm guessing this would be great battery life, but I still feel like I'm not getting the most out of my phone as I can. I noticed that Google Play Services has been on the top of my list of highest batter consumers. Now I can understand why screen isn't my biggest drainer since I use the phone relatively little, but I feel that Android OS and cell standby should easily be consuming more battery than Google Play Services. I'm wondering where Google PS ranks with the rest of you guys, especially the light users like myself. A couple of other things I noticed is that Chrome is an absolute battery monster when I use it. Also ever since I chose to put the battery level indicator on my status bar I cringe everytime I use the phone for a prolonged period cause it seems like every few minutes I look up at the percentage of goes down 1-2% does anyone else notice that?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My Google Play Services is #5 below screen and Chrome but I bet this all depends entirely on how you have your phone configured and how many app you are using that are taking advantage of Google Play Services - not sure, someone can comment more I'm sure.

I've become obsessed with getting the most out of my battery life on my Nexus 6P to the point where I've been checking the battery stats section of the setting about once an hour. I'm not proud of it but I can't sake the habit. I'm a really light user so on average I get about 36 hours between charges with a little over 3 hours of screen on time. To most people I'm guessing this would be great battery life, but I still feel like I'm not getting the most out of my phone as I can.?

I just wanted to toss in some perspective though and I know you already said you aren't proud of it... You are probably going a little overboard with this behavior. First, if you are light user, Doze is going to be helping out quite a bit during those times you aren't using your phone.

Second, I assume you sleep for at least a few hours during any given 36 hour period and have access to an A/C outlet so you do have opportunities to charge the phone. With its fast charging capability, as little as 90 minutes can bring you up from a very low charge to 100%.

Based on your post, it sounds like you would be hard-pressed to ever even come close to running out of battery before you have the opportunity to plug it in.

I just want to suggest that you enjoy the phone and not worry too much about the battery. This phone has amazing battery life! It hasn't struck me as the kind of phone where you have to be actively managing batter usage.

(For what it's worth - I too notice some times where I see the percentage dropping when I'm actively using it but in the big picture, I never end the day with less than 45%. Of course statements like that are subjective so they don't really do much good.)

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting 5+ days on a cycle with Google Play Services #1 on the list followed by Phone Idle, Screen, Hangouts...
Light/Medium user at least for now. Almost two months in and the phone is just fantastic. Doze is incredible.
PaulQ comments are spot-on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781