What does the Google App actually do?

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
So for a while now I've been confused as to what the Google App actually does (not Google apps such as Gmail, but the "Google App" we all see in our Apps section).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So for a while now I've been confused as to what the Google App actually does (not Google apps such as Gmail, but the "Google App" we all see in our Apps section).

Anyone have any thoughts?
It drives the Google search functionality of the phone.

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
So if I do not use Google Now at all (nor do I use the Now Launcher), I can safely disable this?

But if I do disable Google App, does that mean I can't search through contacts or through settings?

The reason I'm asking is because I've recently been having wakelock problems and am trying to find the cause. TO be more specific Android OS is keeping my phone awake for no apparent reason.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So if I do not use Google Now at all (nor do I use the Now Launcher), I can safely disable this?

But if I do disable Google App, does that mean I can't search through contacts or through settings?

The reason I'm asking is because I've recently been having wakelock problems and am trying to find the cause. TO be more specific Android OS is keeping my phone awake for no apparent reason.

Yea don't disable that app. That app is the Google launcher/Google now. So you would have no launcher.

Posted via the Android Central App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually you can't disable that app, you can force stop it for a second, but you can't disable it.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Now launcher 'app' is just a wrapper that allows the Google app to function as a launcher.

The Google app is a critical system app, you probably don't want to fuss with it.

DozyBrat

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

I have a similar experience. I had really mediocre to bad battery performance, and I saw in the battery statistics that "Android OS" was keeping my phone awake for hours. Until I uninstalled the Google app. Actually I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, and it came with the phone's bloatware, so the best I can do is uninstall all updates to this app, reverting to the old version that came with the phone. But this step was enough to recover great battery performance.

I'm really confident that this app drains battery because recently I accidentally updated it and decided to just let it go. I was surprised several times taking my phone out of my pocket at the drop in battery. I did the semi uninstall trick again and battery life was back.

Actually I came to this post because I was Googling about it after this experience. What new "feature" in this app is worth the battery drain? None that I have ever noticed. Uninstall it or disable to the extent that you can.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar experience. I had really mediocre to bad battery performance, and I saw in the battery statistics that "Android OS" was keeping my phone awake for hours. Until I uninstalled the Google app. Actually I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, and it came with the phone's bloatware, so the best I can do is uninstall all updates to this app, reverting to the old version that came with the phone. But this step was enough to recover great battery performance.

I'm really confident that this app drains battery because recently I accidentally updated it and decided to just let it go. I was surprised several times taking my phone out of my pocket at the drop in battery. I did the semi uninstall trick again and battery life was back.

Actually I came to this post because I was Googling about it after this experience. What new "feature" in this app is worth the battery drain? None that I have ever noticed. Uninstall it or disable to the extent that you can.

You're talking about two different devices, a Nexus and a Samsung. Samsung uses their Touchwiz launcher which doesn't really rely on the Google App. But on Nexus devices, which uses the Google Now Launcher, it would cause some serious issues. It would be akin to getting rid of all Samsung apps on a Touchwiz device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37