Nexus 6p or 5x

mury

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm still on the fence about picking one over the other. On one hand I like the smaller form factor of the 5x and the fact that I'll be saving some money, but one the other hand I would like the specs and extra features of the 6P. The other concern is the size of the 6P, coming from a moto x 2013. Thinking about getting both and returning the one I like the least. Would that be pretentious? What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Just to address the size... if you go to an Apple store and handle their iPhone 6 Plus, it is within mm of the size of the 6P. I was concerned about the size and I did this and literally stuck it in my pocket to see if it fit and if it looked obnoxious (the iPhones were on really long tether cords).

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from where you're coming from. I had the Moto X 2013 for 2 years. Best phone I ever had. I got the 5X when it was on sale on Black Friday. Used it for a week and got very comfortable with the larger size, even though it was in a case. It was mostly fine. What started to bother me was the ambient display not working well at all, occasional not great battery days and the occasional redraws when I was multi tasking with some graphic intensive games. (Yes - I love games on my phone).

A friend got the 6P and told me to try it out. Mine came 3 days ago. I still need to get comfortable with the size. However, the screen is beautiful, ambient display works as it should, and I'm not having any redraws.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
you'd be sacrificing an awful lot just for the smaller display and a few dollars ... the 6p is much better than the 5x, it's not even a competition.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I used to passionately hate large phones. Seriously I was mad about increasing phone size back with the galaxy Nexus...

But I've adapted well to the larger size. Yes it is sometimes difficult to use with one hand while I am riding on the subway but the 6p is just such a nice phone I don't really care. Even though it is probably a little overkill I would suggest you try both. You never know what you can get used to until you try. (I never tried the 5x so I can't compare)

If you do end up with a 6p, I would recommend getting a very thin but grippy case (I am using one of the generic tpu cases). Additional grip makes a world of difference in my ability to use this phone one-handed.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I used to passionately hate large phones. Seriously I was mad about increasing phone size back with the galaxy Nexus...

But I've adapted well to the larger size. Yes it is sometimes difficult to use with one hand while I am riding on the subway but the 6p is just such a nice phone I don't really care. Even though it is probably a little overkill I would suggest you try both. You never know what you can get used to until you try. (I never tried the 5x so I can't compare)

If you do end up with a 6p, I would recommend getting a very thin but grippy case (I am using one of the generic tpu cases). Additional grip makes a world of difference in my ability to use this phone one-handed.

good point ... I was pleasantly surprised that I could use it one handed, like you said, cause of the case. I use the microfiber case from the play store

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You get used to that size. Its a little taller then the LG G3 and it took a little while to get used to it.

Nexus 6P

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I picked up my old N5 yesterday and it felt so tiny.
My only concern with the size is where do you go from here? Going to a smaller screen would feel well strange now

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I picked up my old N5 yesterday and it felt so tiny.
My only concern with the size is where do you go from here? Going to a smaller screen would feel well strange now

You get used to the size pretty quickly. I went from iPhone 4 to note and then to a BB Q10...took a few days but otherwise it's and easy adjustment.

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the same dilemma about the 5x vs 6p and just could not accept the lower quality and just ordered the 6p. Arriving tmrw.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I was very sure I wanted the 5x, and had it for awhile. after using it for 2 weeks, I realized what I really wanted was a 6p. the 5p form matter is perfect, but the 6p is just a much better phone. you will feel the 5x to be slow. I thought I don't care a the premium feel of the 6p, but I'm loving the feel of the phone now. I ended up selling the 5x at a less than what I paid since i pass the 2 weeks. I have a 6p now and don't regret getting it. save yourself some trouble, and just get the 6p. otherwise you will keep second guessing.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I came to the 6P from the N5. I adapted to the bigger size in no time, it still fits in a shirt pocket and you can still hold it with one hand (if barely). The 2K Amoled screen is much much better than a 1080P LED screen, the colors are bright and vibrant and the text is super sharp. Amoled also has a wider field of view than a LED screen which is something you notice when you have the phone dash mounted as a GPS, with the old N5 I could see the screen because it was tilted toward me but my girlfriend couldn't see it from the passenger seat, with the 6P she can see it too, it was something she remarked on immediately. I showed the phone to a few of my friends at dinner last night, the iPhone users remarked on how sharp it was, of course the resolution of a iPhone6S is very poor even compared to the 5X, but coming from the 5 it was something I noticed also but not so much as the enhanced colors.

The processor in the 6P is faster than the 5X but I don't think this makes a difference because I found the performance of my 5, which is slightly slower than the 5X, to be very satisfactory. The cameras are pretty much the same on both. The 6P can have more storage than the 5X. I got the 64G 6P but truth be told I never had a problem with the 32G limitation on the 5 or my previous phone the Galaxy Nexus, however at only $50 I said what the hell and got the extra storage. The bottom line is it's the screen that sells the 6P.

The price difference isn't that great so unless you are very cost constrained there is no question that the 6P is the better choice.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Droid Maxx, which has the same internals but is a bit bigger than the 2013 Moto X. I was worried about the size of the 6p as well. It took all of 24 hours to adjust, and now I can't go back to smaller. You will get used to it quickly.

My coworker has the 5x, and it is all around a little worse than the 6p.. a little slower, a little less premium feling, a little more buggy, screen isn't quite as good, battery life isn't quite as good, etc. The 6p is an awesome, awesome phone.. my only complaint is that I'd like another 500mah or so on the battery. I can't make it through a day.. though the USB rapid charging makes that less painful.

Edit: I should add that the 5x isn't a bad phone.. it is good all around.. just not outstanding like the 6p. And at just $80 more for the 32GB version, it is a no brainer to me. (The 6p also includes a USBA - USB C cable that the 5x does not.. another $15 or so to get one up to spec, meaning the difference is really about $65.)

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I had a 6P and returned it for a 5X, as I thought the 6P was too tall, but apart from that nigh on the perfect phone for me. (Although I was also a little concerned about the reports on bending, but should've ignored it like I normally would.)

Think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on another 6P and keep it this time. I just miss it! Might go for graphite instead of aluminium this time though.....

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have to say one thing about the size. "One you go big you dont go back"

google learned from nexus 6 mistakes

This is exactly what I was going to post. I had a 5.5 OnePlus One, then for only a few days a Moto X 2015 5.7, then got the 5X and I'm now waiting for my 6P to arrive. I don't like the smaller screen and I'm constantly making typos on the smaller keyboard. When I had the Moto X, the 5.7 screen/phone size was not as bad as you'd think.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I came to the 6P from the N5. I adapted to the bigger size in no time, it still fits in a shirt pocket and you can still hold it with one hand (if barely). The 2K Amoled screen is much much better than a 1080P LED screen, the colors are bright and vibrant and the text is super sharp. Amoled also has a wider field of view than a LED screen which is something you notice when you have the phone dash mounted as a GPS, with the old N5 I could see the screen because it was tilted toward me but my girlfriend couldn't see it from the passenger seat, with the 6P she can see it too, it was something she remarked on immediately. I showed the phone to a few of my friends at dinner last night, the iPhone users remarked on how sharp it was, of course the resolution of a iPhone6S is very poor even compared to the 5X, but coming from the 5 it was something I noticed also but not so much as the enhanced colors.

The processor in the 6P is faster than the 5X but I don't think this makes a difference because I found the performance of my 5, which is slightly slower than the 5X, to be very satisfactory. The cameras are pretty much the same on both. The 6P can have more storage than the 5X. I got the 64G 6P but truth be told I never had a problem with the 32G limitation on the 5 or my previous phone the Galaxy Nexus, however at only $50 I said what the hell and got the extra storage. The bottom line is it's the screen that sells the 6P.

The price difference isn't that great so unless you are very cost constrained there is no question that the 6P is the better choice.

not just the display, but the front speakers, a more premium feel, larger storage options and faster processor. the 6p is unrivaled at the moment with how fluid it is, just a fantastic user experience.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You are right to mention the speakers, they make a huge difference. On my old N5 the speaker volume was terrible, when I was navigating I had to use a bluetooth speaker because you could barely hear the built in speaker. The speakers on the 6P are very loud so I no longer need the bluetooth speaker for navigation (although I use big bluetooth speakers at home for music). I don't know if the 5X has the same lousy speaker as the 5, hopefully they improved it, but it's a single speaker unlike the 6P which has two speakers.