VZW activation question

crankerchick

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 6p coming to replace my husband's Galaxy S4. With his S4 being a micro sim and the 6p being a nano sim, he's going to need a new sim card (or I need to cut down the current one). Is the 6p "approved" by VZW yet or are they going to give me grief about trying to get a sim card for it? Does the 6p come with a sim card or will I have to go to the store? I haven't had this issue because my last 2 phones have been nano sim and I just move it between phones at will.

We have other nanosim phones in the house that I can use to get a new sim turned on with his number, but I'd like not to have to do any work if I don't have to and just let him receive his gift, call verizon to get it activated, and be on his way.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Ditto: I just walked into the VZW store and explained what I needed; no problem at all. In fact, the tech I talked with was fascinated with the phone, as he was aware they were coming out but hadn't seen one.

The only problem at this point is that Verizon Visual Voicemail does not work on the 6P. When you have a voicemail you get a text message with a bunch of nonsense characters, and then you have to check your voicemail the old fashioned way (*86 or long press the #1 button on the phone dialer). This annoys some people, but it really hasn't been a big deal at all to me.

Good luck and hope he likes it!

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No problem with getting a sim card at the Verizon store.

I would add that if you want to insure the phone, you may want to consider the Google insurance. After speaking with the insurers (Asurion) of the Handset Protection sold by Verizon, I was told that if the handset broke I would get a "comparable" phone that is sold by Verizon, so no 6P replacement. Just an FYI.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I too am on Verizon and was easily able to go in and activate my 6P (coming from a Note 4). Just make sure you go to a full retail Verizon store; I've read that the kiosks (like the one found in a mall) may not always be able to help.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
As sstephen17 pointed out, just make sure you go to an actual VZ store and not just an authorized seller (who tried charging me $10 for the SIM, lol). They gave it to me for free and activated it in about 5 minutes. A couple of the guys said its the nicest phone they've ever seen and the one dude said he's gonna sell his iPhone and buy one.

Who would've ever thought a Nexus of all phones would be such a stunner?!

crankerchick

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Excellent. I'll just tell him to go to Verizon. He can try and cut his sim if he wants but I'm not doing it. I'm lazy right now (in mom mode preparing for Christmas). I got him the Nexus protect insurance and a few usb-c cables so he should be good to go. I was going to get him a case but he won't use it anyway.

Glad to hear the woes of trying to activate a nexus on VZW seem to be over.