For those who came from a Moto X

ryan_linz

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything you miss? I currently have a 2015 Moto X Pure Edition which has been acting very buggy since the 6.0 update and am considering trading it in for a 6P. I'm just worried that I'll miss stuff like Active Display, Moto Actions and "OK Moto...". Are there any Moto-specific features that are impossible (or very hard) to replicate on a stock nexus 6P?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You could try a factory reset to see if it helps you with your Pure Edition.

That said -- I came from the Moto X Pure Edition as well. I honestly am very happy with my 6P and believe I just may now be a Nexus junky. Motorola does a fine job and their phone was fantastic but I really enjoy getting the updates right from Google -- no wait for anyone else to put their hands in the pot. I definitely am not sad about the switch :).

The Moto did have Moto Voice which was nice but I have found using Google Now (the "OK Google") feature yields the same results (at least for my needs). I am able to issue commands while driving and without having to pickup the phone / look at it.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Moto's Active Display is far superior to the native Ambient Display. I miss being able to read full messages at the touch of the finger on the lock screen. I wish Google had taken this with them when the sold Motorola.

The other thing I miss is the Moto Driving feature that announces incoming calls and texts. Probably not needed for most people with BT cars, but a really nice feature if you don't have (or want to use) BT. There are third party apps that will announce & handle sms, but none that I've found that will handle incoming calls.

That said, I can't go back to my forever locked to Lollipop VZW 2ndGen Moto X, don't particularly like the new Pure's design (esp. compared to the 6P) and in any event refuse to patronize Motorola again after being screwed on updates. Pity, because I do like and miss the Moto software additions.

...Adding, IMO the fingerprint reader and fast, frequent updates directly from Google more than compensate for loss of the Moto features. Do wish I could have both.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I miss the sensors on the front where you could wake Active display with a wave of the hand.

The X was also better with voice commands from a locked device. MM is still a bit flaky here.

If I didn't have Android Auto, I'd miss the Drive Assist features, even though they were a bit flaky for me, especially with respect to volume mismatch between the Moto app and Google.

The 6P has better display and camera, and Google Imprint is great. I am much happier keeping my device locked with a strong password, and unlocking it with just a touch. Can't tell you how many times I have slid my finger into the Moto's dimple to unlock it. (c;

Also much happier to be back on a Nexus, and Project Fi is great.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I moved from a 2014 Moto X and find the fingerprint sensor and notification LED offsets a lot of not having the Moto-specific features. And the 6p is just a great phone.

I will never buy another phone that doesn't have a fingerprint sensor.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the only thing I really miss is the active display. Although I'm content with Google's implementation of it. One thing that's funny to me is that I use to think it was difficult to one hand the Moto X 2014. Now that I've gotten use to the N6P, when I use my moto X as a music player (which I have to do because of the Bluetooth issues I have) it feels tiny.

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a 2013 Moto X. I miss the notification reads while driving, I had a few complete conversations with people through text using that. That's about the ONLY thing I miss. The fingerprint unlock and notification details on the lockscreen more than make up for Moto Display, forget Ambient Display.

The 2013 Moto X feels like a TOY compared to the 6P, and here I thought it was such an improvement over the Thunderbolt it replaced (well, it WAS).

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I moved from a 2014 Moto X and find the fingerprint sensor and notification LED offsets a lot of not having the Moto-specific features. And the 6p is just a great phone.

I will never buy another phone that doesn't have a fingerprint sensor.

Absolutely. The fingerprint sensor is great.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I miss Moto Display and the ability to wave my hand to wake the device. But the 6P is a better phone than the MXPE due to its battery life and screen. I also find it a little easier to hold.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Agree with most of the above on the Moto Display/Active Display... waving my hand over the phone was nice to see it come alive. But I can live without it. I did pick up my Moto X (2014) PE the other day and it felt so small in my hands... it's just a back up device just in case, so I was checking to see if it had many updates (no Marshmallow that I could see yet).

The 6P is fantastic.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
6P from X Pure?

Hey guys! I want you to voice your opinions. I've had the Moto X Pure for a month now, and I love it. Lately though I've been considering the Nexus 6P instead. Any of you go from the X Pure to the 6P? What made you choose one over the other?

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: 6P from X Pure?

I made the switch from mxpe to the 6p. I loved the mxpe but if you can afford to make the switch I'd make it. The 6p has been a little bit better in every area for me. A little smoother, a little faster, a little better camera, much better battery life for ms and that's nothing to do with the doze feature.

Also I never thought I wanted a fingerprint sensor until I had this one, super fast.

mrones

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

I have grown to be totally dependent on moto display, and the moto gestures twist to open camera and double chop for flashlight..can't function without them

Mittar Khalsa

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I came from the 2014 X Pure, definitely miss moto display, and gestures. They're brilliant additions to Android, and should be included ASAP. That said, I'll never get another phone without a fingerprint sensor, once I got used to it on the 6p it was the killer difference. Also, updates.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
i came from 2015 pure ediiton...this phone absolutely kills that phone in every single way. on that phone same settings/apps...i used to get around 3.5 hours of sot MAX thats with trying to save battery etc. This phone...4.5 hours with 20% charge left...NO COMPETITION. Camera again blows the MXPE away...but during the day time I think it has a lot to do with the moto camera app...that thing seriously holds the phone back...low lights...its not even close. Also just its look...I have a graphite nexus 6p...it is so bloody sexy...everyone kept asking me at my christmas party which phone I had...noone seemed to bother/ask me when I used to have a white/bamboo MXPE 2015. And lets not even talk about the fingerprint reader...its blazing fast...very very very consistent. The screen is RIDICULOUS. So crisp and clear...I dont think I can go back to lcd. And the lack of storage on the MXPE...I know thats a personal choice to buy a 16gb phone...but the MicroSD integration is not quite there yet in MM6.0. The only thing I'll give the MXPE15 over the N6P are the speakers...those speakers on the moto were something else. The speakers dont have the same life as the MXPE15 on the N6P...they're loud...but no where near the full sound that came from the MXPE.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, according those who received the Moto X 2014 6.0 update the Moto Assist Driving features were removed as part of the update. Lenovo really is doing its best to ruin Motorola...

Mittar Khalsa

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, according those who received the Moto X 2014 6.0 update the Moto Assist Driving features were removed as part of the update. Lenovo really is doing its best to ruin Motorola...

The driving features never worked well for me anyway. Had them turned off after trying to make them work via bluetooth while listening to XM.