Hello all,

Me again... So I have been running into an issue with Google Messenger and Google Photos. For some reason when I am in the messenger app and want to attach a photo it will not allow me. I touch the attachment icon, choose photo, choose Google Photos, and then it sits there and thinks and thinks and thinks with nothing. Nothing loads. I have to go into Google Photos and then choose share then attach the pic that way. Anyone know why this would randomly happen. I tried uninstalling the updates and it didn't work.

Anyone else experience this?
    12-20-2015 09:42 PM
    Did you give Messenger permission to access the drive and camera?
    12-20-2015 10:13 PM
    Did you give Messenger permission to access the drive and camera?
    Come to think of it it didn't prompt me for the permission. Is there a way of manually accessing the permission for Messenger?
    12-20-2015 10:25 PM
    Settings > Apps > Messenger > Permissions. You can access any App's permissions pretty much the same way if you need to for other apps in the future.
    12-20-2015 10:57 PM
    Settings > Apps > Messenger > Permissions. You can access any App's permissions pretty much the same way if you need to for other apps in the future.
    yea this did not work, I figured it out through the app section in settings. I've cleared the cache data on both Google Photos and Messenger. Not sure what else to do. Also tried attaching the pic via hangouts sms and it did not work either, gave me the same issue. That tells me its something with Google photos. Any thoughts?
    12-20-2015 11:00 PM
    I'm not having that issue, so I really don't know. When I went to attach a photo, it asked if I wanted to let Messenger access media, I said yes, and was able to choose Photos from the menu which popped up without a problem. I'm at a loss.
    12-20-2015 11:07 PM
    I'm not having that issue, so I really don't know. When I went to attach a photo, it asked if I wanted to let Messenger access media, I said yes, and was able to choose Photos from the menu which popped up without a problem. I'm at a loss.
    Yea I am just in the middle of wiping the device and reloading all the apps from scratch. It may have something to do with the app or Media Picker or something. Not sure, we'll see here shortly though
    12-20-2015 11:09 PM
    I'm having the same issues fwiw.
    12-21-2015 12:14 AM
    I'm having the same issues fwiw.
    I think this may have something to do with Google Photo's. I just wiped my device, factory reset, wiped cache partition and the problem still persists. There must of been an update to the app that I didn't notice and it messed up the attachments.
    12-21-2015 12:17 AM
    Sorry if this doesn't help, but are photos you're trying to attach actually on your 6p (as opposed to cloud Photos)?
    12-21-2015 09:16 AM
    Sorry if this doesn't help, but are photos you're trying to attach actually on your 6p (as opposed to cloud Photos)?
    Nope, they're cloud photos. It worked fine before, not sure why is failing now.
    12-21-2015 09:19 AM
    I've had problems using cloud photos in some apps so that's why I suggested it. I understand it worked before, but can you attach a device photo? Just trying to eliminate.
    12-21-2015 10:12 AM
    I've had problems using cloud photos in some apps so that's why I suggested it. I understand it worked before, but can you attach a device photo? Just trying to eliminate.
    Ya I can attach device photos no problem. I have the same issues work hangouts as well. Can't attach cloud photo's. Thanks for being engaged with this!
    12-21-2015 10:19 AM
    I know this may not be feasible depending on what your friends and family use but have you tried eliminating the carrier? By that I mean are you able to get friends and family with non-nexus phones who are on the same carrier as you to try the same thing on their phone's native SMS app? Have you tried doing the same thing using different SMS apps on your own phone?
    12-22-2015 02:59 PM
    I did a Photos back up to remove all local photos to cloud. Same thing you're experiencing. I've tried syncs and re-syncs. Found this, though https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/zTcF0QLz7Pk.
    12-22-2015 05:58 PM
    I know this may not be feasible depending on what your friends and family use but have you tried eliminating the carrier? By that I mean are you able to get friends and family with non-nexus phones who are on the same carrier as you to try the same thing on their phone's native SMS app? Have you tried doing the same thing using different SMS apps on your own phone?
    Yea I tried it with my Note 5 and it worked flawlessly. Same carrier.
    12-22-2015 06:35 PM
    Yea I tried it with my Note 5 and it worked flawlessly. Same carrier.
    So you were using the Note 5's sms app not Google messenger though right? I've been having an issue with Messenger as well not showing my online stored Google Photos when I try to attach, only shows local files. As with you, I can only attach an online photo if I share it from Google Photos to Messenger but not if I try to do it from Messenger first. The difference with me is that it simply won't show them at all, whereas you mentioned that it tries to connect but fails
    12-23-2015 04:28 PM
    My most recent post refers to Hangouts as OP had same issue there also. The link describes the problem exactly except these were on Lollipop. I rarely send cloud pics so have no idea how long it's been an issue-at least 8 or 9 months based on reports from those who've experienced it.
    12-23-2015 06:26 PM
    So you were using the Note 5's sms app not Google messenger though right? I've been having an issue with Messenger as well not showing my online stored Google Photos when I try to attach, only shows local files. As with you, I can only attach an online photo if I share it from Google Photos to Messenger but not if I try to do it from Messenger first. The difference with me is that it simply won't show them at all, whereas you mentioned that it tries to connect but fails
    Sorry I meant that I get a blue circle spinning around and around and it never loads the photos. I'm sure this is a known issue and Google is working on it. It goes the same with hangouts. Try to do the same thing with hangouts and see if it works for you.
    12-23-2015 06:48 PM
    My most recent post refers to Hangouts as OP had same issue there also. The link describes the problem exactly except these were on Lollipop. I rarely send cloud pics so have no idea how long it's been an issue-at least 8 or 9 months based on reports from those who've experienced it.
    8-9 months ???? Wow! You'd think that Google would of fixed this right away. I've never had issues with this on Lollipop, the first time I experienced this was when I wiped my Nexus 6P after the software update to 6.0.1.
    12-23-2015 06:50 PM
    8-9 months ???? Wow! You'd think that Google would of fixed this right away. I've never had issues with this on Lollipop, the first time I experienced this was when I wiped my Nexus 6P after the software update to 6.0.1.
    I thought I had read reports from spring 2015 but couldn't locate them. That may have been inaccurate. The google product forum link was from August to Sept. 9. Reading google product forums, it's not unusual for issues to be reported by dozens and never be resolved. "Dozens" is a minuscule amount overall. This issue seems to be a specific issue with google's own messaging apps. They are definitely aware of it with Hangouts.

Don't know if you tried Safe Mode, but it didn't make any difference.
    12-23-2015 07:28 PM
    I've occasionally had this issue. Had to long press the photo (rather than just taping it) and then it would actually be selected. The strange thing is that this isn't always necessary.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    12-24-2015 10:45 AM
    That was worth a try. Didn't work on Hangouts. I think this is different issue? We're not even getting the photos to choose.
    12-24-2015 01:48 PM
    That was worth a try. Didn't work on Hangouts. I think this is different issue? We're not even getting the photos to choose.
    Yea man, there's for sure an issue with the cloud Photo's. Hopefully they fix this issue soon time.
    12-24-2015 08:55 PM
    Google advised me to report through the app feedback. I did so in Hangouts and will do so in Messenger. You might do the same for Messenger and Hangouts.
    RionDunn likes this.
    12-28-2015 05:17 PM