Does stock Android have native visual voicemail? kind of like the iPhone

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon and they don't have a visual voicemail app that supports the Nexus 6p. I have to dial *86 in order to get voicemail.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus phones actually do. Now .. Do they work with ALL carriers? That is a carrier choice. With T-Mobile I use the stock Visual Voice Mail found within the phone app and it works just like it should. No other T-Mobile app needed.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus phones actually do. Now .. Do they work with ALL carriers? That is a carrier choice. With T-Mobile I use the stock Visual Voice Mail found within the phone app and it works just like it should. No other T-Mobile app needed.
Ah, is that a Marshmallow thing? I'm at EOL with Lollipop.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. I have my number forwarded with "no-answer transfer" to my Google Voice number, the VVM capability in the dialer can then display my voicemail from there.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. I have my number forwarded with "no-answer transfer" to my Google Voice number, the VVM capability in the dialer can then display my voicemail from there.

So all I have to do is download Google voice then I will have visual voicemail? Do I have to re enable basic visual voicemail on my plan for this to work?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You need to sign up at voice.google.com and get a number (if they're still giving them out, thought I heard they weren't anymore). Once done, you need to go into the web interface and select that you want to use your GV account for voicemails for your carrier number, it will provide a code to dial to do the no-answer/busy transfer to GV which will then pick up as your VM.

In the Voice app, go into settings and check the box for "Voicemail Display", this will then show your GV voicemails in the dialer.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much. This works just the same of not better than the Verizon visual voicemail app!

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Basic Visual Voice Mail is free. Shows the number that called and lets you pick what to listen to.

Advanced includes transcription and is $3.

Neither works on the 6P.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone on AT&T's network that is running Marshmallow (either their new nexus devices or updated an older android device) sucessfully gotten VVM to work in the native phone app?

Seems there are mixed bag of reviews from the webosphere.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone on AT&T's network that is running Marshmallow (either their new nexus devices or updated an older android device) sucessfully gotten VVM to work in the native phone app?

Seems there are mixed bag of reviews from the webosphere.

It's only supported for T-Mobile and Fi for now unless you go the GV route as explained in this thread.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
It's only supported for T-Mobile and Fi for now unless you go the GV route as explained in this thread.

Thanks for the reply... No word on when the other carriers will allow it to be used natively I assume.

These small things are beginning to add up making moving to Android less appealing :(

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply... No word on when the other carriers will allow it to be used natively I assume.

These small things are beginning to add up making moving to Android less appealing :(

It's not Android's fault. The thing is that the 6p is "Stock" and does not have any carrier bloat, I.e. VM apps. Some carriers did not make VM compatible yet as there are a few of us using Nexus, or fully unlocked devices compared to other ones...

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
It's not Android's fault. The thing is that the 6p is "Stock" and does not have any carrier bloat, I.e. VM apps. Some carriers did not make VM compatible yet as there are a few of us using Nexus, or fully unlocked do vices compared to other ones...

I'll have to disagree. It actually IS Google's/Androids fault. Apple's iOS has had native VVM since day one, both of my wife's Windows Phones have had native VVM since at least WP7. Neither OS required 3rd party apps to connect to the carriers VVM system. Android seems to be the only one "behind the times" in this.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to disagree. It actually IS Google's/Androids fault. Apple's iOS has had native VVM since day one, both of my wife's Windows Phones have had native VVM since at least WP7. Neither OS required 3rd party apps to connect to the carriers VVM system. Android seems to be the only one "behind the times" in this.

It really is deeper than Android just not doing it. Android does do it -- hence how it works for T-Mobile. The carriers are making it where it doesn't work / support native Android. That is the trade off sometimes -- iOS is way more locked down and they control it 100% with no interference from carriers. Android is more open.. It has a base but it can be modified / changed via carriers and stuff. This is also why there are more manufactures for Android phones versus just one.

Most carriers just want you to use their app. If you install their app from the Play Store it most likely will work -- and they do that on purpose because they want their apps to be used versus the "native" stuff. Carrier devices usually come with them pre-installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr