Win10 not detecting my Nexus 6P as a Mass Storage Device.. can't transfer files. What should I do?

A

AC Question

Win10 not detecting my Nexus 6P as a Mass Storage Device... can't transfer files

The subject alone says it all really.

I've switched mobile phones, and I was on a Windows Phone. I've got a fair amount of files (Photo's, ringtones... other things...) that I'd like to shift over directly to the phone. When I plug the Nexus in Win10 is detecting it as a music device. (Aside, it's also only charging slowly... not normally. Connected to a USB 3.0 port)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lutzie

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you try selecting Transfer Files. USB options from the Notification.

OSX gives me Can't Access File when I plug it in my iMac.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Win10 not detecting my Nexus 6P as a Mass Storage Device... can't transfer files

The subject alone says it all really.

I've switched mobile phones, and I was on a Windows Phone. I've got a fair amount of files (Photo's, ringtones... other things...) that I'd like to shift over directly to the phone. When I plug the Nexus in Win10 is detecting it as a music device. (Aside, it's also only charging slowly... not normally. Connected to a USB 3.0 port)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lutzie

When you plug your phone in you need to do two things:

1. Unlock your phone once while it's plugged in. If it's locked when you plug it in, it won't be able to access any files. You don't have to keep unlocking it after you do it once.

2.While the phone is plugged in, swipe down the notification tab and you'll see a little robot and saying something like "USB charging" or close to that. Tap it and select File Transfer. You'll see it disconnect from your PC for a brief second then reconnect. You should then be able to browse the phones file system from your PC.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Win10 not detecting my Nexus 6P as a Mass Storage Device... can't transfer files

When you plug your phone in you need to do two things:

1. Unlock your phone once while it's plugged in. If it's locked when you plug it in, it won't be able to access any files. You don't have to keep unlocking it after you do it once.

2.While the phone is plugged in, swipe down the notification tab and you'll see a little robot and saying something like "USB charging" or close to that. Tap it and select File Transfer. You'll see it disconnect from your PC for a brief second then reconnect. You should then be able to browse the phones file system from your PC.

This! beside that, the phone will only charge slowly when you connect to your computer. Its normal. your will need the charger that comes with the phone to charge rapidly

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The alternative is to transfer over WiFI. Install ES File Explorer, export a folder on Win10, and then find it on your network using ES File Explorer, you can up load and download to your exported folders.