Nexus 6P - Is mine defective?

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought my n6p from the Google play store. I just got it Friday the 18th. Today is the 22nd so I haven't had it long.

Whenever I buy a new phone the very first thing I do is a hardware reset. I go into recovery clear cache and memory 2 or 3 times each. (I'm an old windows mobile user so it's built into me.)

Its not been rooted nor has anything outside of the play store been installed.

The problem I have is when recording video the screen turns off at random times and the recording stops. It's 64gb model and I've only used about 6gb so I know it's not low on memory. Also it doesn't seem to get hot. Just to make sure it wasn't me just accidentally pushing the power button I pushed record and propped it up and sat back and watched. The screen turned off after 3mins and 11 seconds.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a defect or is there a setting I need to look for?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: recordings were all in 1080p using the stock camera.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know for certain that it still applies, but there used to be a 2GB maximum size for recorded video files (Android OS limitation). Of course, the higher your recording resolution, the sooner you reach the 2GB limit.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector with the cutouts installed
Yes I do. It has cutouts for the front camera, two front speakers and sensors below top speaker.

I haven't had the problem with the front camera.

Do you think the screen protector could cause the problem?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Before it shuts down, how are the videos?
I think there were some posts in thread about problems with similar issues. Have you checked there?

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Before it shuts down, how are the videos?
I think there were some posts in thread about problems with similar issues. Have you checked there?
Everything is fine before it's all normal then it just goes black. I then turn it back on with my fingerprint and it's at the home screen.

I don't see any other threads.

I think I'm gonna exchange it. I just watched a few videos on YouTube comparing pics taken with the 6p vs other phones and mine don't look anywhere near as good. Mine all look dark and hazy. Indoors and out.

I'm gonna have to take my galaxy s6 off of swappa before someone buys it.

Thanks for all of your help.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm gonna exchange it. I just watched a few videos on YouTube comparing pics taken with the 6p vs other phones and mine don't look anywhere near as good. Mine all look dark and hazy. Indoors and out.

Um, you did remove the plastic film from the rear camera area, right?

Sorry, I don't mean to be insulting, but this has happened before. :)

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Um, you did remove the plastic film from the rear camera area, right?

Sorry, I don't mean to be insulting, but this has happened before. :)
Super lol no offense taken. I've been on the Internet a long time and have thick skin.

That's the first thing I thought of. It actually didn't have plastic. It was in a plastic sleeve.

If there's plastic it's canceled very well.

kneebite

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
The problem I have is when recording video the screen turns off at random times and the recording stops. It's 64gb model and I've only used about 6gb so I know it's not low on memory. Also it doesn't seem to get hot. Just to make sure it wasn't me just accidentally pushing the power button I pushed record and propped it up and sat back and watched. The screen turned off after 3mins and 11 seconds.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a defect or is there a setting I need to look for?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: recordings were all in 1080p using the stock camera.

The exact same thing happens on my phone. The first time it happened was while I was recording my daughter's piano recital -- which was the worst possible time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Have you done the usual factory reset etc and see if that does anything :p? If that doesn't help might as well just contact Google

Posted via the Android Central App