I have seen online guides that state you should select the number you want to block, then edit the contact, then click on the 3 dotted lines on the top then select send to voice mail.

I have found another/better way

Go into the phone app, then click on the 3 dotted line, then choose settings, then go to call blocking, then choose Add Numbers to add the number/contact you want to block

I don't know how different is this than sending to voice mail but just wanted to let you know of this way to block contacts
    12-25-2015 07:44 AM
    This feature was Recently added to the phone app. The voicemail thing was just a workaround
    [Update: Back Again] Google Has Published The Phone And Contacts Apps On The Play Store - Dialer Finally Gets Call-Blocking, Plus More
    Aquila and Snappy Phoenix like this.
    12-25-2015 02:47 PM
    Install Mr Number, it's crowd sourced spam call control which is much better than relying entirely on a block list of your own.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    12-25-2015 03:13 PM
    This feature was Recently added to the phone app. The voicemail thing was just a workaround
    [Update: Back Again] Google Has Published The Phone And Contacts Apps On The Play Store - Dialer Finally Gets Call-Blocking, Plus More
    thanks man, didn't know that. Cheers
    12-25-2015 03:49 PM
    Does blocking calls also block messaging?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-25-2015 06:07 PM
    Does blocking calls also block messaging?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Firstly, what I love about this call blocking feature, you see with other phones or call blocking apps, what happens if a blocked number calls you is that for the caller, he hears that the call went through, rings once on his end then it shows BUSY. It is obviously that he was blocked. But with this Android Marshmallow call blocking, when the number tries to call you, it gives them a tone as if the number doesn't exist or is disconnected so it is very nice, doesn't make it very obvious that you are blocking them but makes them think there is a problem with the network or your line is disconnected.

Secondly, I just tried and the SMS won't go through from a number you have blocked, it says not delivered!
    12-26-2015 07:55 AM
    Install Mr Number, it's crowd sourced spam call control which is much better than relying entirely on a block list of your own.
    The problem with apps like this is that they want to pirate your phone book to update their database (or at least they did back when I tried it years ago). Not exactly what I want to do. I prefer the native call blocking.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    12-27-2015 03:53 PM