Is the Nexus 6P worth while?

jkulmtd

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm asking as an iPhone user currently. I'm looking to upgrade my phone as I am due for one soon. I currently have an iPhone 5s.

The reviews I read and watch can seem to be a little bias. So I'm wondering if there are any iPhone users that have made the switch to Nexus and are loving it/hating it and why.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm a habitual device switcher coming from a family dominated by iPhone users. I made the switch to the 6P 20 days ago and I'm ecstatic. Pretty much anything I do is Google related so having an Android device just makes sense to me and not being a fan of OEM skins means the Nexus is the right way to go

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a iPhone 5c that I use daily for work. It comes down to what OS you prefer. Both phones will so the basics of making calls, camera, texting, and web browsing. My 6P is a lot faster then my 5c but you can't compare a phone that's two years old to a new phone so I will take that out of the comparison.

Camera-6p has better low light quality but daytime, both phones are great.

Radio connectivity-both are the same. I usually have both next to each other and I see no issues between the two. I don't care for numbers but to me, I don't see any difference. If one gets 3g, the other does. Once one gets LTE, so does the other. Speedtest are very similar. Neither wins in terms of speed. Sometines the 5c is faster and sometimes the 6p. And by faster, I mean 24mbps vs 22mbps or 60mbps vs 55mbps. Not a lot of different.

Call quality- again, both works great. I tend to use my work phone more because of conference calls or work calls and I rarely make personal calls. Both are clear and no issues.

Speaker-6p has stereo front facing speakers and are a lot louder then the 5c

Battery-both will get a full days worth of heavy usage. I don't have the numbers for the 5c but I get 4.5-5.5 Screen On Time on my 6P

Build quality-both feel solid in my hands. Of course you will read issues with the 6p bending but you will also read a lot without that issue.

Screen-5c because its more of a natural colors. The 6p is newer technology and its AMOLED so polarizing sunglasses are not an issue but colors are more vibrant. I'm not saying the 6p blows colors way out but you notice if you have both phones in front of you and I usually do so I notice it. But if you don't then its not that big of a deal.

OS- it comes down what you prefer. Android has its limits as well as iOS. This is completely up to the user. If you like iOS, don't switch. If you like Android, don't switch.

Nexus Six P

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm asking as an iPhone user currently. I'm looking to upgrade my phone as I am due for one soon. I currently have an iPhone 5s.

The reviews I read and watch can seem to be a little bias. So I'm wondering if there are any iPhone users that have made the switch to Nexus and are loving it/hating it and why.

It may help if you list some of your main uses that you like/need from your current iphone.

If you got a note5 or one of those newer Samsung devices you would have a whole new host of functions and some added responsibility as far choosing apps and setup etc. This move from ios town to android town is like being on the more remote edge of town with the nexus. Its really nice but you are as far away from familiar as possible, and it takes a little doing to get into town and set your nexus up with some of the same functions and features that may come stock with the skin of an LG, or a Samsung, or an HTC, etc.

For me personally there were two factors that brought me to choose the Nexus 6P over the Note5. One is it is a bit of a hassle as a MetroPCS customer to procure an optimal functioning Note5 (I had two different ones before I figured out how to identify the best model to use on MetroPCS). Two Samsung's Touch Wiz is known to slow down after the 3 month or so honeymoon period, as to were I am told that the nexus platform can be expected to keep functioning consistently as time passes.

Posted via the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The 6P IMO is the phone of the year!

Just look at the Top 5's on YouTube.

FYI I also own the 128GB iPhone 6S...Rose Gold.

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I had a iPhone 6, went to a note 5 and now the 6p and I couldn't be happier. Depending on what you are into on your smart device both those devices are great. I'm really loving the 6p. Coming from the 5s my only worry is you might find it big coming from that iPhone. Cheers

ezaz

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I think you need to consider what you want/don't want from a phone and what's important to you. As well, it may be important whether you have ever "switched" in the past (be it computer OSs, phone OSs, etc.).

My last iPhone was a 5S which I've now retired entirely in favor of Android phones. In my case iOS's lack of true onscreen widgets and weak notification system (at this point specifically the lack of a "dismiss all of this mess" option) finally became too much to deal with. But I've worked in both camps for years.

The 5S is a dated phone at this point--doesn't make it "useless" per se, but the 6P will be an upgrade (as would be an iPhone 6S/6S+). If the option is solely 5S vs. 6P then unless you really can't manage the change from iOS to Marshmallow the 6P should be the clearly superior device from a hardware perspective.

If you throw the iPhone 6S+ into the mix it gets more interesting. The phones are fairly comparable hardware wise *except* the 6S+ has a better camera. But, then again, the 6S+ is quite a bit more expensive. (64GB 6S+ is $849, while a 64GB 6P is $499)

There will be a learning curve if your only experience with a Phone OS is iOS and expect some frustration up front. But the same is true for an Android user going to iOS (as I said, the lack of widgets simply became a killer for me, but your mileage may vary).

One advantage of the 6P is that, being a Nexus phone, the whole "Android phones don't get updates timely" question goes away (aside from Google's rolling update that may push you a little bit back based on the luck of the draw or lack thereof--but of course that would generally avoid most of that little problem Apple hit on the first iOS 8 update).

The fingerprint sensor will be quite an upgrade from that on the 5S, in line with that on the iPhone 6S/6S+. That said, I find I really strongly prefer the fingerprint sensor on the back and not "hardwired" to a home button that wants to do other things when you press it. But if you put your phone in a stand and want to unlock it while docked (which I don't) then you might prefer a front mounted sensor. But having it on the back is way more convenient when you are out and about with the phone.

iOS still tends to get applications first and, as well, in virtually all cases you'll need to buy a new copy of any purchased software even if the version exists on both platforms. And some things simply aren't allowed under iOS (though recent changes to the OS have allowed some of the more significant limitations to be less troubling--such as extensions).

That said, there's no such thing as a perfect phone for everyone, regardless of what the reviews (or various company's marketing departments) may tell you. If you determine what's important to you and start going down that path I think you'll figure it out quickly.

The fact I find the 6P perfect for me does make you somehow "crazy" if you decide that the 6S+ is your phone. And the converse is true as well--while a fine phone, I'm not crazy for finding it deficient for my uses.

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever owned an Android phone? Deciding on an OS is the first decision to make. Personally I don't like iOS at all, so the choice of Android is easy. The 6P is awesome. If you decide to go Android, I don't think you'll be disappointed, as long as the size of the phone is ok for you.

Fuji Gal

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch a couple weeks ago from an iPhone 5. Bit of a learning curve for me as I am a long time iPhone user and this is my first Android. Although there are a few things I miss I am generally pretty happy with my new phone and would recommend you give it a try.

MNSnowman

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I was considering going back to an iPhone before buying my 6P. There were 3 deciding factors for me:

1) I like how Google has integrated their services (Gmail, Chrome, Calendar, Drive, Keep and Maps in particular). It appears that this will be a continuing trend. Plus I'm much more comfortable and familiar with Gmail, Chrome and Maps than the Apple counterparts and prefer that they be the defaults when using those apps (especially Chrome).

2) I find Siri to be less useful than the Google voice commands and searches and think Google Now is a pretty helpful utility/service. Yes, you can use it with the iPhone but it's less accessible and integrated on the iPhone than on Android phones.

3) I find the on screen widgets very useful and they're unavailable on iPhones.

anon(5862363)

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
After being an iPhone user from Original to iPhone 6 Plus, I switched to LG G4 (it was OK, but software wasn't great), then to 6p. It is probably the best phone I've owned so far. Stock Android on 6P is just awesome.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has nailed it in this thread. Went from 6S Plus to the Note 5 then the Nexus 6p. Best decision I made was finally leaving iOS to go full Android. Note 5 was great and all but I love stock Android and the Nexus 6p is definitely the best phone available right now regardless of the platform you choose IMO.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

It's one heck of an upgrade from an iPhone 5S. Alternatives would be the Blackberry Priv or an iPhone 6, of course. Both of which cost a lot more than the 6P.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
1. Coming from the iPhone 5s it is a very good upgrade.
2. The Nexus 6p is probably the best phone of the year. If you are comfortable switching from iOS all things considered (apps, connectivity, family ties, general OS preference etc.) just do it. I use a 6s due to many reasons but were I to get an Android phone it would be the 6p.
3. Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive for the 6p, possibly the most positively reviewed phone of 2015. The only negative apparently is lack of video stabilisation.
4. Coming from the iPhone 5s it is a very good upgrade. Go for it.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
3. Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive for the 6p, possibly the most positively reviewed phone of 2015. The only negative apparently is lack of video stabilisation.

And it's a BIG negative. Video is quite poor unless you're standing completely still. Everything else about the 6P is fantastic. I really hope the next version incorporates OIS.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
True but depending on the person´s needs it is not much of a problem. I rarely take videos on my current phone for instance. But I think OIS should be standard next year, and that includes my 6s.

jkulmtd

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for helpful feedback.

The one reason why I've kept this phone as long as I have is because very rare do you find something that just... Works! And seamlessly.

The main concern I have about switching from iOS to Android or iPhone 5s to Nexus 6P is how reliable of a phone/OS it really is.

I use my personal phone for work which consists of exchange calendars and emails needing to be in sync and updated periodically and sometimes that has to be away from my workstation.

I make and receive a large amount of phone calls as the phone I use for work is pretty much unusable and I forward to my personal 10/10 times its just so much easier to be able to put someone on hold then have to call them back.

So according to the previous comments everyone seems sure this phone will be one heck of a replacement. Before making my final decision I just want to make sure everything will still be as solid and reliable as iOS especially for heavy calls and emails and exchange is a must.

bad1550

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Missed another call today due to the volume button issue. I always leave on total volume and keeps dropping down. Picked up both the 6P and Moto X Pure and I can only keep one device.
So far the volume issue is making me lean to keep Moto. I am really liking both devices but this is pushing me over the edge.