Nexus 6P: Installing my first launcher...ever

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Great Video. The stop motion box travelling to the table and opening up was awesome. And I also agree with going Pro. I don't like not having all the features.

Action Launcher 3 is a good launcher. I've tried it and I've purchased it to support the developer. However, Nova remains my favorite. I've tried just about every major launcher on the Play Store, but I always come back to Nova. It's just got all the features I like without things I don't. I've also found it to be very stable on 6.0.1. Another fun launcher that really changes things up is Smart Launcher 3.

One thing to think about too is an Icon Pack. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with the default icons, but many icon packs that work with alternate launchers (like Action, Nova, Apex, etc) give you a 'dynamic calendar' - where the date shown on the icon is the actual date (kinda like iOS does). Plus, icon pack designers make the icons 'consistent' with each other when it comes to size, style, etc. Unlike iOS, every app publisher can put whatever design they want. I tend to like the more consistent design language that icon packs provide.

Many of my favorite icon packs are by Vertumus, who's paid icon packs are all 50% off right now. Urmun, Tenex, and Atran are my three favorites (Tenex and Atran have a textured background which is so unique among icons). Lai (by a different designer) has a unique rectangular shape for the icons, which makes that pack stand out to me as well.

Last edited:

mohawk apple

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Great vid I'm new to android myself, I just recently got into android and bought the 6p and liking it very much :D Ive been eying some launchers myself but I'm scared to install one lol thinking I'm going to screw up my phone's setting and all haha. Maybe one day ill give it a shot.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Great vid I'm new to android myself, I just recently got into android and bought the 6p and liking it very much :D Ive been eying some launchers myself but I'm scared to install one lol thinking I'm going to screw up my phone's setting and all haha. Maybe one day ill give it a shot.

Nah, you can't really screw up your phone's settings. All the settings are launcher specific, so even if you really made a total mess of the particular launcher, you can either uninstall it and go back to Google Launcher with no problem, or reset the launcher (almost every launcher I've seen has some kind of 'reset to default' setting).

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great video. I've never tried a launcher, but your video has me thinking of giving it a shot.
Really enjoyed the stop motion sequence. Nice work.
Thanks for sharing.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Cool video! I have used Action Launcher and I prefer Nova it's always the launcher I go back too. I tried using the default Google Now launcher, but the ICONS are way way way too large. I wish there was an option that would allow me to shrink the icons a bit like on the Galaxy s6. However Nova shrinks the icons back to the way I like them so I went with Nova. You should def. try it out.