Hello all.

I am currently using an iPhone 6s Plus. I like the fact that I can use my fingerprint to log-in to certain apps - like my password app, amazon, or paypal.

Does the Nexus 6P have this ability?

Thanks.
    12-31-2015 08:48 AM
    That capability is dependent upon app compatibility. My password app does not yet support this but it appears LastPass does.
    12-31-2015 08:58 AM
    App developers will have to add the imprint API to their apps in order for it to be available.
    12-31-2015 09:11 AM
    Great! I am glad to know that this feature is available. I was a little worried because a developer told me that it wasn't available, but I believe that it was with Android Lollipop and not Marshmallow.
    12-31-2015 09:14 AM
    LastPass--meh. I use LP and it supposedly supports fingerprint auth, but it doesn't work. I have LP set never to log me out. What happens is every time I launch LP it tells me to auth with a fingerprint, I do and get the single quick vibration indicating that it was recognized, but then it brings me to a password prompt anyway.

I also use Authenticator Plus. It's a nice app that supports fingerprint auth, but it's buggy. It often prompts for a PIN after a successful fingerprint auth.

The ironically-named Good for Enterprise supports fingerprint auth for iOS (my wife uses it all the time), but not for Android. Maybe in 2020 is my guess on that.

I've tried a ton of apps but that's it as far as fingerprint auth goes, in my experience. I'm sure there are others, but none that I've used.

Android 6.0.1 itself has a (potential) bug whereby if you force the device to lock, fingerprint auth won't unlock it. This may be tied to Smart Lock, I'm not sure and not inclined to check.
    12-31-2015 11:08 PM
    LastPass--meh. I use LP and it supposedly supports fingerprint auth, but it doesn't work. I have LP set never to log me out. What happens is every time I launch LP it tells me to auth with a fingerprint, I do and get the single quick vibration indicating that it was recognized, but then it brings me to a password prompt anyway.

I also use Authenticator Plus. It's a nice app that supports fingerprint auth, but it's buggy. It often prompts for a PIN after a successful fingerprint auth. Basically the same crap that LP does, just not every single time.

The ironically-named Good for Enterprise supports fingerprint auth for iOS (my wife uses it all the time), but not for Android. Maybe in 2020 is my guess on that.

I've tried a ton of apps but that's it as far as fingerprint auth goes, in my experience. I'm sure there are others, but none that I've used.

Android 6.0.1 itself has a (potential) bug whereby if you force the device to lock, fingerprint auth won't unlock it. This may be tied to Smart Lock, I'm not sure and not inclined to check.
    I've not had any issues with fingerprint authentication with LastPass. I believe the only time I entered my LastPass password on my 6P was when I ran it for the first time and turned fingerprint authentication on in the app.
    12-31-2015 11:13 PM
    Found the issue with LP! I had "Automatically logoff other devices when logging in from a different device" enabled (it's hidden under "Advanced settings"). I'm turning that off, and I'll assume it will correct the issue. I love it when annoying things turn out not to be bugs, rare as that is.

Well, we're up to one Android app that works with fingerprint auth. (We can't count Finger Learner.)

Edit: I take it back. LastPass stopped making me enter the ID/PW for about a day, then it went back to prompting me for the fingerprint, and making me log in with ID/PW anyway. And I disabled the "Automatically logoff..." setting. Good stuff. Quality is job none.
    12-31-2015 11:15 PM
    I hadn't tried the PayPal app for Android before posting here. Just did. Nope, doesn't support fingerprint auth.
    12-31-2015 11:38 PM
    You can use imprint to purchase apps and movies on google play instead of using a password. To enable it go to Google play, settings and enable fingerprint authentication.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-03-2016 09:27 AM
    LastPass works for me to sign in just about ANY app with fingerprint ID. Some apps occasionally don't work for auto fill and you have to copy paste from the hover window but this is still about a hundred times better than trying to remember all the unique and long passwords.

LP can be a little fiddly with the settings, if you really can't get it to work I can post what I have.
    01-03-2016 02:31 PM
    Well, we're up to one Android app that works with fingerprint auth. (We can't count Finger Learner.
    Can you explain what Finger Learner does? I lightly examined the Play store page and I don't get it.

Thanks!
    01-04-2016 01:52 AM
    Can you explain what Finger Learner does? I lightly examined the Play store page and I don't get it.

Thanks!
    Looks to me like it speeds up the learning of more of your fingerprint. When you first set it up I guess ImPrint learns only what it needs to get started, then learns more of your fingerprint as it goes, this app LOOKS like it forces the advanced learning. Not too sure I'm comfortable using a 3rd-party tool for this kind of security feature.
    01-04-2016 12:16 PM
    Can you explain what Finger Learner does? I lightly examined the Play store page and I don't get it. Thanks!
    The author posted a video that shows what the app does. It's in the screenshot area of the app listing.

Looks to me like it speeds up the learning of more of your fingerprint. When you first set it up I guess ImPrint learns only what it needs to get started, then learns more of your fingerprint as it goes, this app LOOKS like it forces the advanced learning. Not too sure I'm comfortable using a 3rd-party tool for this kind of security feature.
    The app has no internet access. There are apps that read your fingerprint yet do have internet access. It makes no sense to worry about Finger Learner and not those other apps.
    01-04-2016 01:11 PM
    this app LOOKS like it forces the advanced learning. Not too sure I'm comfortable using a 3rd-party tool for this kind of security feature.
    Yeah.. count me in as another skeptic. Out of the box, the FPS on this thing is pretty accurate. I have to get pretty sloppy on how I place my finger for it to miss. This almost sounds like an app that solves a problem that doesn't really exist.
    01-04-2016 04:13 PM
    No, it's a problem that does exist. I've had serious problems with the fingerprint sensor on the 6P. I have found one other person who has had the same. Part of the problem, I think, has to do with physiology (scars or other issues with hands that actually get used), but I'm convinced that there is also some software issue underneath that makes the keys become corrupted under certain circumstances.

Finger Learner didn't help with my issues, but it does expedite the teaching of Nexus Imprint. And there's no reason to be afraid to use it.

FAQ:

Q: So you're saying that Nexus Imprint doesn't work at all, ever?
    A: No, I'm not.

Q: So you're saying that everyone in the world will see this issue?
    A: No, I'm not.

Q: I haven't noticed anything. This means you're wrong, doesn't it?
    A: No, it doesn't.
    01-04-2016 04:25 PM
    I can see where some app requesting authorization a bunch of times would speed up the learning for different positions. There is a little learning going on the more you use it. But you can do the same thing yourself by setting the power button to off and lock. Then you can do a bunch of unlocks fast.

All a waste of time IMO, use it like it was intended to work.
    01-04-2016 04:27 PM
    You can use the power button, but Finger Learner lets you just tap the thing repeatedly without actually locking the phone, and makes the process easier. I'm pretty sure the app didn't get pre-loaded on your phone as a system app, so if you don't to use it, don't use it.
    01-04-2016 04:33 PM