Nexus 6P - Wirelessly Project The Phones Display?

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung smart tv and recently wanted to wirelessly display my screen on it for a tv show (Game of Thrones if you must). Unfortunately whenever I go to the cast setting panel my tv titled Aryan is not listed nor is the option to enable wireless display in the menu (three dots) something that my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 5 have and they work perfectly to display their screen and I am disappointed that I don't seem to have the option on my 6P. Any solutions? Can't seem to get it and in fact neither can YouTube cast any videos to my Samsung tv while my Nexus 7 and 5 can including my other Vizio smart tv that my 6P cant. Any solutions? I've turned off my phone and back but I cant seem to make the option appear. Don't tell me Google removed Miracast support which in that case I'll have to use my Chromecast -.-. I very much dislike this and disappointed in Google

Posted via the Android Central App on my Frost Nexus 6P

Last edited:

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Projection from Phone?

Does anybody have a solution for projecting video from the phone without Wifi? Would be interested in a wired solution to an inexpensive projector if that's available? Is it possible to connect the phone to a projector via USB? Or is there a wireless option that doesn't require wifi? Thanks.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wireless Display

I think chromecast are still on sale in the Google store. I bought a dozen of them and gave them for Christmas presents. Everyone is absolutely in love with them! Even people that have smart TVs already. I've got them on all four of my televisions.

Via the Android Central App

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Projection from Phone?

Your best option is going to be implementing a solution that makes use of the screen cast function of the phone, which, you guessed it, uses wireless. The USB c port on this phone does data transfer and charging. It will not do video streaming. Does the projector have an HDMI port on it? Get yourself a Chromecast and a wireless N or AC router. The router doesn't need to be connected to the internet as long as what you are casting is stored locally on your phone. Just set it up to give out dhcp address, connect both devices to it, and stream away.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I think chromecast are still on sale in the Google store. I bought a dozen of them and gave them for Christmas presents. Everyone is absolutely in love with them! Even people that have smart TVs already. I've got them on all four of my televisions.

I have dealt with Chromecast 1 & 2 and they were both tedious and cumbersome to say the least! I def. prefer wireless cast or MHL.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have dealt with Chromecast 1 & 2 and they were both tedious and cumbersome to say the least! I def. prefer wireless cast or MHL.

I don't think I have ever seen an easier piece of tech like the Chromecast. You set it up on the wifi network and then pretty much just open apps and tap a button to have it thrown to the TV.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Chromecast works great at home. Hotels, not so much. I also wish it had MHL but I ended up picking up an HDMI adapter for my iPad and it works. And if frees up my phone go use for whatever.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It works if you have WIFI. If you don't, then you have to use 2 devices to get it to work. I had the first version and the sound stopped working on the third attempt.

I have the second version and though I don't have WIFI where I live, I decided to kerp it once WIFI is available. I just wish that it didn't require WIFI.

Oh well yeah -- The device is meant to work on WiFi though so that is just a requirement / how it was built. Once you have that the device is very easy to use.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Oh well yeah -- The device is meant to work on WiFi though so that is just a requirement / how it was built. Once you have that the device is very easy to use.

Sorry - I tried to edit my post but ended up deleting it. I just wanted to add to the wireless cast/MHL users.. I highly doubt that Google will ever update wireless cast or add MHL to Nexus phones thanks to their Chromecast.

So much for flexibility.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

The Netflix app sees my Panasonic TV as well as my Chromecast. Allcast can play videos directly on my TV as well. Cast only works with Chromecast. I have a first gen Chromecast, it's always worked flawlessly. They cost almost nothing ($35) so there is no reason not ot get one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sorry - I tried to edit my post but ended up deleting it. I just wanted to add to the wireless cast/MHL users.. I highly doubt that Google will ever update wireless cast or add MHL to Nexus phones thanks to their Chromecast.

So much for flexibility.

I don't believe they sold MHL cables even before it -- Usually people just snagged them from a 3rd party. I am sure once USB-C becomes more widely used on Android phones it will be easy to snag one.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I've never had a problem with any of my gen 2 Chromecasts. They work flawlessly and I got them on day one. I use them with my phone, tablet and Chromebook. I use mine in a hotel room with my hotspot and they work perfect. Super easy, works every time for me.

gamesnepal

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I think that the only solution would be to use Chromecast. I don't even know whether those cheap Chinese casting devices even work. I was looking for this some days ago.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung smart tv and recently wanted to wirelessly display my screen on it for a tv show (Game of Thrones if you must). Unfortunately whenever I go to the cast setting panel my tv titled Aryan is not listed nor is the option to enable wireless display in the menu (three dots) something that my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 5 have and they work perfectly to display their screen and I am disappointed that I don't seem to have the option on my 6P. Any solutions? Can't seem to get it and in fact neither can YouTube cast any videos to my Samsung tv while my Nexus 7 and 5 can including my other Vizio smart tv that my 6P cant. Any solutions? I've turned off my phone and back but I cant seem to make the option appear. Don't tell me Google removed Miracast support which in that case I'll have to use my Chromecast -.-. I very much dislike this and disappointed in Google

Posted via the Android Central App on my Frost Nexus 6P

I have an LG smart TV, so this may not be the same, but on mine I had to enable something like wireless display or something similar to that before it would work. On mine it's located in the settings under either display or connections IIRC. Maybe look through your TV's settings and see if there is a setting to enable it. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool