Thinking of moving from Galaxy S6....convince me!

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
As the title says really,I have an S6 at the moment but do find that I`d like a phone to be fast straight out of the box and not have too much bloatware like Samsung...is going to the 6P a good move?? Thanks,David

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure anybody here is gonna try and convince you one way or the other. Not trying to be a jerk, but there are plenty of reviews and threads in this forum for you to gather all the information you'll need. It comes down to your personal preference and what's most important to you, and if you think the 6p has something the S6 doesn't, then certainly it's a solid option.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Kind of up to you. Do you like a physical home button? Do you like Samsung's implementation of the notification toggles? Is 5.7 too big? Do you use Samsung pay? Is the camera on the 6P good enough for your needs?

Answer those questions and you might convince yourself one way or the other.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
As the title says really,I have an S6 at the moment but do find that I`d like a phone to be fast straight out of the box and not have too much bloatware like Samsung...is going to the 6P a good move?? Thanks,David

Better battery life.

There. That should convince you.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for...

I remember a few years ago I was wondering why can't we have an iPhone like build wrapped around android OS. :)

Then the Samsung Galaxy S6 came out and it was one of the fastest I've ever sold, didn't last more than 6 weeks. Just like the iPhone, it's not worth the premium price Samsung is asking for.

Go with nexus 6P.

Clean, Solid OS.
Better Battery Life.
"BoomSound" Front Speakers.
Amazing Build Quality.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Came from the S6 myself, which I got last April. Awesome phone, no reason to not love it. Had one of the few with good battery life. I get the itch that needs scratching every so often so I look around to see what's available that might trip my trigger. Thought a pure google device would be different in a good way(it is) for me as I'd never had one before, always carrier bloated stuff. I ordered the 6P and got it 5 days ago. Loved it then started to read up on the Moto X pure. Got a hankerin' to try that one and had myself talked into it as a better option than the 6P. Bottom line, Love both of them and now DANG, I'm in the position of choosing just one. Can't really justify keeping both. All this and my pristine S6 sits on the sidelines.
Really wanting a bit bigger screen now that I've tried these two and love the no bloat and real google feel. So the S6 is probably history. But to help answer your question I watched tons and tons of you tube video reviews on both phones before even deciding to order one. I suggest you do the same if you haven't already. But for christsake don't do what I did and order more than one to compare as you might get stuck in the spot I'm in. Shoulda just stuck with the 6P, still deciding but time is drawing short. :)

Also this: what he said. Good points
Clean, Solid OS
Better Battery Life.
"BoomSound" Front Speakers.
Amazing Build Quality.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Came from the S6 myself, which I got last April. Awesome phone, no reason to not love it. Had one of the few with good battery life. I get the itch that needs scratching every so often so I look around to see what's available that might trip my trigger. Thought a pure google device would be different in a good way(it is) for me as I'd never had one before, always carrier bloated stuff. I ordered the 6P and got it 5 days ago. Loved it then started to read up on the Moto X pure. Got a hankerin' to try that one and had myself talked into it as a better option than the 6P. Bottom line, Love both of them and now DANG, I'm in the position of choosing just one. Can't really justify keeping both. All this and my pristine S6 sits on the sidelines.
Really wanting a bit bigger screen now that I've tried these two and love the no bloat and real google feel. So the S6 is probably history. But to help answer your question I watched tons and tons of you tube video reviews on both phones before even deciding to order one. I suggest you do the same if you haven't already. But for christsake don't do what I did and order more than one to compare as you might get stuck in the spot I'm in. Shoulda just stuck with the 6P, still deciding but time is drawing short. :)

Also this: what he said. Good points

whoever managed to convince you the Moto X is better than the 6p did you a disservice. Other than Moto/Ambient Display, the 6p had it beat in every category IMO. The battery life on the X is pretty bad, tough to get much further than 3 hours SOT. And now that I've had it, I really would miss the fingerprint sensor, especially since there will be more compatible apps (hopefully) in the near future.

anon9795054

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Updates. I will never again fall victim to the carrier controlled update process that leaves my phone either open to security risks or anchored to an outdated OS or both. (period!)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Updates. I will never again fall victim to the carrier controlled update process that leaves my phone either open to security risks or anchored to an outdated OS or both. (period!)

Hmm. Tapatalk just created the account "PaulQ01" and posted under that name. That post was me. So... I guess a reason to not get the 6P would be it will possess Tapatalk and create an alter ego. :cool:

Gonna go report that to the Tapatalk folk now.

zagcollins

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Came off the Galaxy Note II, which was my fave phone till date. After using this, I can't imagine going back to a Samsung. My sister just got the S6 last month, and while the camera is awesome with neat tricks up its sleeve, I can't see any other area where it trumps my 6P.

Also, can't be stated enough, CLEAN OS. Well, some call it boring, but for me, I think it's the best way to use Android. Sure, it could do with a few extra options, but then nothing's ever enough!

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Both phones are very nice but instant updates no bloat and a much better battery life are 3 good reasons

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Kind of up to you. Do you like a physical home button? Do you like Samsung's implementation of the notification toggles? Is 5.7 too big? Do you use Samsung pay? Is the camera on the 6P good enough for your needs?

Answer those questions and you might convince yourself one way or the other.

Having used both phones, I have to say that this pretty much sums it up.

Purely subjective, but I ended up returning the 6P.

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I switched from my galaxy S6 Edge and this Nexus has been nothing short of amazing.. It is fast and smooth. No bloat. Camera is still very good. The size will take some getting use to but after about 2 to 3 days then you'll be fine. The battery life also last about double what my galaxy did. I can normally use my phone throughout the day and end the day with 30-40% and with my Edge, I needed to charge at least once during the day and I would still end with about 20%. All of that bloat takes a toll on the battery. I say go for it!

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I switched from my galaxy S6 Edge and this Nexus has been nothing short of amazing.. It is fast and smooth. No bloat. Camera is still very good. The size will take some getting use to but after about 2 to 3 days then you'll be fine. The battery life also last about double what my galaxy did. I can normally use my phone throughout the day and end the day with 30-40% and with my Edge, I needed to charge at least once during the day and I would still end with about 20%. All of that bloat takes a toll on the battery. I say go for it!

I also have a Note 3 so size is no problem 👍

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Just my opinion here, and sort of just kidding but, I would say the biggest problem with the S6 is that it has the word "Samsung" on it. I have avoided Sammy phones like the plague after experiencing the wonderful Captivate back in the day.....But seriously, I think the biggest problem is TW.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just my opinion here, and sort of just kidding but, I would say the biggest problem with the S6 is that it has the word "Samsung" on it. I have avoided Sammy phones like the plague after experiencing the wonderful Captivate back in the day.....But seriously, I think the biggest problem is TW.

call me shallow, but just having the words Samsung on my phone is a factor in my decision when choosing a phone. To clarify, it's not just Samsung, but any carrier/manufacturer branding. I love, despite the larger bezels, how my 6p has no front branding. Nice and sleek, stealth and simple, which is how I like it!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Nothing beats pure Google, as far as Android is concerned. I've had my 32 GB Aluminum for about six weeks now, and I love it. The build quality is great. The screen, even with sRGB mode enabled, is very bright for me at max brightness and no tinted whites, while still delivering those deep blacks. Colors are still punchy, without being gaudy.

The front speakers are VERY loud and crisp. The battery life consistently gives me anywhere between 4 1/2 to 6+ hours of SOT depending on my usage, with a peak of 7:42 SOT. I unplugged my phone at exactly 3 pm yesterday, and am sitting here at 5:20 pm with 40% battery and 4:12 SOT.

I never thought that I'd make use of the fingerprint scanner as much as I have, but I use it exclusively to unlock my phone, without thinking of the Power button. Doze has been awesome, especially if I unplug at night at a full charge and put it in airplane mode. I wake up in the morning with my phone still at 100%.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say the notification and call volumes are kinda on the lower side when I have a headset plugged in, but it's not a deal breaker for me at all. In my opinion, this phone needs two things to be the perfect all-around device: some sort of split screen multitasking is the first. Second, I'd like to see Google make it so that Doze stays active with movement, and it is only triggered off by either pressing the Power button or by a fingerprint unlock. I'd hope those can be achieved in future updates. All in all, I love this phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
call me shallow, but just having the words Samsung on my phone is a factor in my decision when choosing a phone. To clarify, it's not just Samsung, but any carrier/manufacturer branding. I love, despite the larger bezels, how my 6p has no front branding. Nice and sleek, stealth and simple, which is how I like it!

The 6P does have that HUGE Nexus tramp stamp. Yes, it's on the back... but it's the biggest logo/branding of ANY phone out there. :)

I really don't have an issue with a manufacturer branding their own device. Granted, the logos on the front are obnoxious, I'll agree with you 100%. At least Samsung made the phone. The carrier logos.... those are abominations.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The 6P does have that HUGE Nexus tramp stamp. Yes, it's on the back... but it's the biggest logo/branding of ANY phone out there. :)

I really don't have an issue with a manufacturer branding their own device. Granted, the logos on the front are obnoxious, I'll agree with you 100%. At least Samsung made the phone. The carrier logos.... those are abominations.

lol, yeah the Nexus logo is a nightmare, but like you pointed out, is just the front of the phone I care about since I use a case. I'm like that in general though with logos. Hate them on my clothes, always remove the dealership logo on my car, etc. The way I look at it, I should get paid for that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt