Why doesnt Google have brick and mortar stores to sell unlocked phones?

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
like what apple does with the iphone. Google can do that with all the Android phones and other products of course. I know Im i the minority but I hardly if ever buy things online and I almost got the iphone 6s over the Nexus 6p because the 6p was only being sold online. The reason I decided at the end to go with the 6p was that I like the price point, the great views and the fact that the iphones dont come in 32 gb

Just wondering if you think there will ever be google stores around

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Because people wouldn't go into them to buy unlocked phones - they'd go in to complain to Google (which of course would be completely counterproductive but that's the general populace for you). Same reason there isn't a "Google Customer Service" number to call, or email address to write to. They're way too big to care.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it has to do with their partners. I'm sure Samsung, LG, etc wouldn't be too happy if they really tried pushing their own products over their Android partners.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to do with their partners. I'm sure Samsung, LG, etc wouldn't be too happy if they really tried pushing their own products over their Android partners.

I'm pretty sure this is part of it. The other part is that they'd have, what, 5 Google devices to peddle? 2 Nexus phones, Nexus 9, Pixel C and a Chromebook. I suppose they could offer the watches also but compared to an Apple store it's be quite a sparse selection of devices.

To the OP, Apple doesn't sell JUST the iPhone in their stores, they sell a whole lot of other stuff also - Macs ranging from 11" MBA to 27" iMac including various configs of each, iPods (Nano, Touch, Shuffle) iPads (of several sizes also), plus a whole ton of accessories to go with them all. There's a LOT more product line to fill a store and make it more attractive to walk into.

A B&M Google store would have devices that have, historically, catered to developers, only recently have they been advertising the Nexus line on TV. Because of this, I don't believe they'd get a whole lot of traffic.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because people wouldn't go into them to buy unlocked phones - they'd go in to complain to Google (which of course would be completely counterproductive but that's the general populace for you). Same reason there isn't a "Google Customer Service" number to call, or email address to write to. They're way too big to care.

What? They have a number and chat support.

https://support.google.com/store/answer/6178715?hl=en

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A "Google Customer Service" number and a "Google Store Customer Service" number are two completely different things, surely you understand that Almeult.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A "Google Customer Service" number and a "Google Store Customer Service" number are two completely different things, surely you understand that Almeult.

You can still call them for support with their products. It says the store but people call for things they bought, issues with the phone , etc.

Yes it definitely isn't as good as a walk-in store but saying they simply "don't care" and "don't have any way to contact them" is definitely not true.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If Google had a store it would also add cost. Plus people would complain there wasn't one near them. I'm fine with them not having a store. It would be nice if they made their products more widely available at other retail locations sooner after launch.

Via the Android Central App

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Best Buys, at least his KY, have a Google area set up with their products. This may be a step in a brick and mortar direction.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, oddly enough my statement holds true, Google:

how to contact Google

and it takes you to their Contact Us Page. Which, as I stated, contains no phone number or email address on how to contact them. Or are you calling me a liar?

https://www.google.com/contact/

If you click on "Nexus", you can request a call from Google where they'll call you. You were almost there, but not quite.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Almeult is the furthest thing from a troll on here. He's been more than helpful and has gone out of his way to help hundreds of people on this site, myself included.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this is part of it. The other part is that they'd have, what, 5 Google devices to peddle? 2 Nexus phones, Nexus 9, Pixel C and a Chromebook. I suppose they could offer the watches also but compared to an Apple store it's be quite a sparse selection of devices.

To the OP, Apple doesn't sell JUST the iPhone in their stores, they sell a whole lot of other stuff also - Macs ranging from 11" MBA to 27" iMac including various configs of each, iPods (Nano, Touch, Shuffle) iPads (of several sizes also), plus a whole ton of accessories to go with them all. There's a LOT more product line to fill a store and make it more attractive to walk into.

A B&M Google store would have devices that have, historically, catered to developers, only recently have they been advertising the Nexus line on TV. Because of this, I don't believe they'd get a whole lot of traffic.

good point ... they could and might actually do kiosks one day. IMO they will eventually launch a Pixel like phone, and could create their own phone/laptop/tablet. They also have Google TV (or whatever it's called these days) so it's definitely a possibility. They could open at 20-30 of the larger malls, and even if they lose money it would be for brand awareness, a winning proposition.

MNSnowman

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

how to contact Google

and it takes you to their Contact Us Page. Which, as I stated, contains no phone number or email address on how to contact them. Or are you calling me a liar?

So Google offers a toll-free free Customer Service phone number and email address for their products for which they charge a price. Sounds right to me and has parity with their competitors.

They don't offer similar features for their services (eg gmail, search, maps, hangouts, etc) for which there is neither a charge nor fee. Again, sounds right to me and has parity with their competitors.

I guess if it's a real issue or concern to a user, they'll shift to Microsoft Outlook or Yahoo or ....

(Cleaned)

Last edited by a moderator:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't make sense to pay rent when people buy their phones online without holding first.

Samsung has kiosks everywhere hoping for a return on investment by having people play with the phones first

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
(Mod note : please keep it civil)

I've contacted Google CS a few times, via chat, email and callback. One particular issue with Google Drive and Photos, the contact I had stayed in touch quite often until the issue was resolved.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

how to contact Google

I already posted the number where you can call them. I agree with you on it not being as convenient as a store for some issues but saying there is no number at all to call or any way to get support is not correct.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Retail is a bear. High overhead. Personel issues. Labor laws. Workforce training. Lease agreements. Inventory management. The Nexus brand is important to us "geeks", not the general population. Also, Apple sells a lot more than phones (granted its the largest revenue driver). Could they do it? Sure, but if they can sell their products without making that investment, they are far better off.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
(Mod note : please keep it civil)

I've contacted Google CS a few times, via chat, email and callback. One particular issue with Google Drive and Photos, the contact I had stayed in touch quite often until the issue was resolved.

Most of the time in my experience they've actually got one of the best customer service teams I've worked with. In a chat session they not only solved my problem, but tossed me a credit and followed up by email to make sure everything was still good. I've done a couple RMA's with them, totally painless. The one issue I had with them was with an order that got mixed up because of some changes I made to my account info and it did take a LONG time for them to figure out how to fix it. But they eventually did and I ended up getting the device as a courtesy rather than buying it... so net win?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca