Greenify opinions

KeyTarget

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone tried this app out? Has anyone tried the aggressive doze function? I would like to get this but I don't know if there's any downside to it

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I used it for a few years. I recently came across ShutApp and I'm trying it out to see which gives me better battery life. (ShutApp has to be run manually every time - and a few apps seem to have minds of their own - running when I don't run them and they're not system apps, so Android shouldn't be running them. Greenify, running in the background, never let me know that. But it's still a good app to keep battery usage down.)

Just don't Greenify anything you want to pop up when it needs to, like the Phone app, email, messaging, alarms, etc.

Lefank

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I use greenify and love it. I paid for it so I had access to system apps as well. If you don't use screen lock it will greenify apps automatically but if you use the screen lock them you need to put a widget on and manually greenify them. I greenify most apps unless I need notifications from them. I highly recommend it!

Lefank

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried this app out? I would like to get this but I don't know if there's any downside to it

I'll come in from a different angle. I had used it in the past then decided to try it on my 6P. If you aren't rooted, it is a little less powerful. I'm not rooted. I do use a screen lock. I had it put up a notification when it was working. I didn't find that it did much and just decided not to screw around with the natural function of the OS. So, I uninstalled it.

I think it's better if you are rooted.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use it just to be sure any apps conflicting with doze get squashed (which has rarely happened) but all in all I don't find it necessary.

It's a great app though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I find Aggressive doze causes some apps to have to be restarted for data to work (Facebook being a prime example,though Plume has done it as well).

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Greenify sucks, at least if you're not rooted. The interface makes you guess how to use it, and in non-rooted mode, all it does is kill background apps.

The beta's doze feature requires enabling the app to read very sensitive device information, which I am not willing to do, even if it has no internet access.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
do anyone think its pointless to install greenify on a non rooted devices?? is it just a task killer on a non rooted device?

I have always advocated against using task killer and if this is just that then i will stop using greenify.

I know greenify is really good on rooted device.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
do anyone think its pointless to install greenify on a non rooted devices?? is it just a task killer on a non rooted device?

I have always advocated against using task killer and if this is just that then i will stop using greenify.

I vote to not install it if you are not rooted. Just don't want to screw with deep functions of the device.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

It really is pretty much just a task killer on a non-rooted device. There is a screen or a message somewhere in Greenify that says this, and if you pay attention you can even see the "Force Stop?" message pop up when it kills an app.

Automated "hibernation" (an inexcusable misnomer for "app killing") also prevents you from using the normal lock screen.

And again, the experimental hibernation feature requires access to sensitive log files.

As you can see, I'm not a big fan of Kool Aid.