File manager recommendation for the 6P?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: File manager recommendation

I've been using X-plore for a day now, really like it's folder tree interface. My current favorite for now
The UI is kinda different, but once I got comfortable with it I was hooked. X-Plore is very fast, very stable and can do just about anything and do it well.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

ES users should be aware of its security problems

Ummm... this sounds like a lot of FUD rather than security problems. With millions of users, have you seen anything concrete regarding sensitive info being sent home? Or any other issues for that matter?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Ummm... this sounds like a lot of FUD rather than security problems. With millions of users, have you seen anything concrete regarding sensitive info being sent home? Or any other issues for that matter?
http://androidforums.com/threads/why-do-we-root-then-vs-now.887730/page-4#post-6824481
I've run tests with the same results. As a double-check to Network Connections, Traceroute gives some interesting results also. There is no doubt ES phones home to Chinese servers when there is no reason to need to. So what do you think it's sending home? Cupcake recipes?
It's a bloated mess now anyway.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

There is no doubt ES phones home to Chinese servers

I don't dispute that. Apps I write do the same thing (license check, update check, usage info). Would you assume I am collecting sensitive info from you as well? Many apps phone home. If you use a Mac or Windows, practically anything you run will (as does dozens of binaries in the OS). Again, my question is whether or not there has been any evidence that what is being sent is sensitive in any way? I've not seen anything.

ESF does everything I need, including Drive, LAN, FTP and SFTP, and is easily organized the way I want it. The ability to export my extensive setup from one device to another is golden. X-Plore has an interface that looks like it was designed by a four year old with crayons. Solid requires my phone's IMEI#, and ain't all that solid (especially with connectivity). FX moves by copy/delete, and has case insensitive indexing (among other issues).

ES Pro has none of these problems, and have found the developer to be pretty responsive. I've been using ES since 2012 with virtually no issues. Sure, it has a bunch of features I won't use (cleaner, recycle bin, download manager, host modes), but they're easily turned off and/or ignored.

And I love cupcakes! (c;

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

ES contacts home at times it has no logical reason to. Other file managers make no such contact and work fine.

You assume that the information sent to Chinese servers is innocent and necessary. You have no proof of what is sent.

I assume it is sending my information. I also have no proof of what is sent. But, I'd much rather be safe than sorry. Call me what you want, but I don't trust an app that keeps sending info to China, possibly my cupcake recipies.

X-Plore ain't beautiful, it just works. It also can export a config backup file.
You named some of the reasons I listed FX and Solid below X-Plore and basically I agree.

But 'cmon, ya gotta admit ES is kind of a hot mess of unnecessary crap.

Last edited:

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

You assume that the information sent to Chinese servers is innocent and necessary. You have no proof of what is sent.

We don't. But with hundreds of millions of installs, you'd think if that was the case, someone would make reference to it. This all reeks of the Sony Xperia/Baidu nonsense. The fact that there is not a single blip on XDA about this has me pretty comfortable about this being benign. Oh and also... ES privacy policy clearly states they collect anonymous usage info.

If I was so distrusting of this I would have an iPhone. Our phones are all made in China, and they can flip the firmware anyway they want, with very little oversight.

But 'cmon, ya gotta admit ES is kind of a hot mess of unnecessary crap.

I admit there's stuff I don't use, but 'hot mess' is not something I would use to describe it; that seems a more appropriate description for X-Plore's UI. I actually like the ES Pro UI (with the Material theme), and its customization options. I am just not seeing where this is a bloated mess from a UI perspective. Are you per chance using the free version in your evaluation?

Anyway... you and I are just different. But I don't think it is fair to label ES as exploitive without proof they're sending home anything other than what their PP states.

And if your ever in Minneapolis, check out:

http://www.copperhenkitchen.com/cakes-desserts/

Wonderful cup cakes!

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Our phones may be made in China, but Google knows exactly what is in the firmware of my Nexus devices.

And why would you get an iPhone? Following your logic, an iPhone could have flipped firmware. But I think Apple knows exactly what is loaded.

Anyway, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. You're trusting, I'm not. But we can agree about about cupcakes. If you're ever in Kansas City:

http://www.mclainskc.com/

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

Asus file manager easy to use and has zero bloat like everyone else is talking about. Nice layout and very easy to comprehend

Posted via the Android Central App

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Our phones may be made in China, but Google knows exactly what is in the firmware of my Nexus devices.

I don't think Google is privy to source for low level drivers that OEMs create, but I was actually referring to the likes of touch wiz, sense, etc. Who knows what Lenovo might eventually load up on Motorola phones.

And why would you get an iPhone? Following your logic, an iPhone could have flipped firmware.

Quite the opposite. Apple designs the hardware, the OS, the dev environment, and physically vets every app available to non-jailbroken phones. This is not to say that something malicious has never made its way to an iPhone, but it is rare compared to Android (Android is getting better however).

In the end, it is about how you choose who to trust. I will never be a Lenovo or Samsung customer; they have clearly demonstrated they care little about their customers, so it's not like I trust everyone.

Enjoyed the chat... and sorry OP for derailing your thread.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Last comment... regarding iPhone vs Android... you were referring to Touchwiz, etc. I was referring to Nexus devices, where the situation is much like the iPhone, Google has total control. I'd be very surprised if they did not have access to every bit of code on a Nexus, including drivers.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said in your last post.

See ya!

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Asus file manager easy to use and has zero bloat like everyone else is talking about. Nice layout and very easy to comprehend

Posted via the Android Central App
Agreed. But lack of FTP and SSH is a deal breaker for some. And while the multicast support is nice, I never found a way to login to a credentialed volume on a computer that had public volumes.

But if all you need are the basics, it looked pretty nice, plus I'm a fan of Asus.

Capim

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

I tried lot of file manager and the best for me, this instant moment, is Solid Explorer.
For long time, I used ES Explorer, but Solid Explorer felt more simple and intuitive.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I tried lot of file manager and the best for me, this instant moment, is Solid Explorer.
For long time, I used ES Explorer, but Solid Explorer felt more simple and intuitive.

same here.. I was using ES for a long time and felt it was bloat and not very intuitive

It has so may web page linked in favorite, why??
even though they said it was material it was not material and the app design was not well thought out.

I feel very happy after i bought solid explorer

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I dropped ES when it got sold to Cheetah Mobile. An app from that dev shop will never grace any of my devices.

Solid user now.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
One good file explorer I haven't seen mentioned here is Cabinet Beta. It is a minimalist file manager, uses material design, is also free, and has great reviews. It also includes a Black theme specifically for phones with an AMOLED display, like the 6P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37