6P - Auto Rotate Issues & Pictures Showing Upside Down

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus just started acting up. won't auto rotate at all and when I take pics now they are upside down. Phone hasn't been dropped or misused, just seemed to come out of nowhere. Very frustrated about this? Anyone know a fix?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: no auto rotate and pictures are upside down

Is the AutoRotation switch turned on? You can try toggling it back off and on and see if that helps. Does it do the same in Safe Mode? If the latter doesn't work, it sounds more like hardware failure than anything that can be fixed by software, unfortunately :(

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes a sensor can get stuck; you can verify this with an app like sensor test. If it is stuck, you can usually unstick it by giving your phone a sharp whack on one of the sides.

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Just got off the phone with Huawei. Have to send it away to get looked way. Did a factory reset, tried safe mode, deactivated developer mode and double ckecked all the toggles etc. This blows. Haven't tried smacking it though. Lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If you do try the 'smacking', be gentle, especially since you're about to send it in for (I'm assuming Warranty) repair. The slightest indication that the phone has been misused (water ingress, drops, hits, etc.) and they can void the warranty.

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

If you do try the 'smacking', be gentle, especially since you're about to send it in for (I'm assuming Warranty) repair. The slightest indication that the phone has been misused (water ingress, drops, hits, etc.) and they can void the warranty.

Yeah. I'm not going to hit it. I have to send it to some 3rd party company, pay a fee. I think I'm out on Huawei after this.

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

"After extensive research I found that it is actually a physical problem rather than a software bug. And believe or not, the way to fix it was to simply hold the phone about 3 to 6 inches above a surface (like a table) and DROP IT FLAT WITH THE SCREEN UP. I know it sounds very weird, but I haven't had the problem come back since and obviously being dropped on its back from 6 inches won't damage a phone this well built." well this actually fixed the issues. Wtf

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Pretty dumb.. But yeah, I'm pretty stoked. Cheers

jared dubgail

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site

just so y'all know, I had Google run me through all the hoops, cache delete, safe mode for a .5 hour which seemed more like they wanted me to just wait a .5 hour for the hell of it. Nothing worked, upside down pics, rotation issue still remain.... But . Saw this post

IT WORKED!!! Like he said dropping it from 6 inches, screen up and instantly all problems solved. Camera, rotation, compass app. All good. Thanks and it's not dumb, sometimes things just need to a whack.

Esteban8602

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I registered just so that I could post this. I'm glad I looked this up before doing any software resets. I dropped it from about 11cm (with a small towel underneath to prevent much damage just in case) AND IT WORKED!!! I was having the rotate issue, camera pics being upside down, I was really scared because my phone is rooted and I feared I might have messed it up but no. Sometimes you just gotta go the old school way and give your stuff a little whack to get them up and about again.

Cherie S

May 27, 2017
Visit site

I just signed up this website to thank you for sharing this information... It really worked well after everything else being tried. Thank you!

Cherie S

May 27, 2017
Visit site

"After extensive research I found that it is actually a physical problem rather than a software bug. And believe or not, the way to fix it was to simply hold the phone about 3 to 6 inches above a surface (like a table) and DROP IT FLAT WITH THE SCREEN UP. I know it sounds very weird, but I haven't had the problem come back since and obviously being dropped on its back from 6 inches won't damage a phone this well built." well this actually fixed the issues. Wtf

I just signed up this website to thank you for sharing this information... It really worked well after everything else being tried. Thank you!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. saw this post pop up... yep... I, too, ran into this a year or so ago. Nothing I did could fix it and I was on the verge of sending it in for a warranty claim when I read up about the 6P's sensor array. The motion sensor in question here looks like a bunch of microscopic, interlocking fingers with even smaller gaps between them. After manufacturing, there are sometimes wee little bits of material that remain after fab. Not enough to fail QC, but enough to potentially get in the way. This debris, like a bone spur, doesn't allow the fingers to move freely and sometimes they can get stuck.

So a firm, but gentle whack can often unstick the offending finger and get things working again. I didn't drop mine though, I just whacked it against my hand a couple of times and it freed itself. It's happened again only once since that time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol